· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: 125 Gallon

Default 125 Gallon

0 Not allowed!
    In a few months I maybe moving into a bigger apartment. With a bigger Apartment comes a BIGGER tank. 125 Gallon( 6 feet). Would it be big enough for 2 Florida Atlantic Stingrays? I read they are one of the smallest Stingrays with a max Disc size of around 2 feet at full grown.
    Wife's Tank
    20 Gallon tall
    12 plants with dual T5's and dry ferts- Iron, Potassium and CO2
    6-Pygmy Cories, 4-Red Wag Platys, 6-X-ray Tetras

My tank
    120 Gallon
    with 2 Florida Atlantic Stingrays and 12 Mystery Snails - starting on that project soon.

Awards Showcase

Have a martini on me fellow western marylander - jbeining75 thank you so much my puffer and i are very happy - Angila Heres one! :D - Wild Turkey nice plecos - KingFisher For all your advice  thanks - Celtic Fins 
    for your kind comments. - Celtic Fins Merry Christmas - Northernguy Awesome help with my loaches - R2 Ranch Seasons Greetings. Have a great Christmas - Celtic Fins Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill 
    Happy New year - Celtic Fins May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins 2001 posts! - Northernguy For your helpful fry advice - Cliff Its not a featherfin but thanks for the info!lol - Northernguy 
    Merry Christmas!!!!  :) - Ellen4God 

1 Not allowed!
    A 125 is only 18" front-to-back, and even smaller rays would need a much larger area than that.

^^^^Please click the eggs/dragons, thanks.

Awards Showcase

Sharring my winnings - steeler58 Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny for giving a catfish its first taste of human. - cm12setx pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie For being MOTM - steeler58 
    looking forward to more rapid river videos - showmebutterfly A little late, but congrats MOTM! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on 3,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 A Cory for Mr 3,000 - steeler58 you could be famous! - SeaLady 
    For following through on a dare! - steeler58 For having a big heart and caring :) - steeler58 Have a cup of joe for the good converstion this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    for playing the cory game - cm12setx Congrats on 3,900, they don't have kuhliis, LOL - Slaphppy7 cycled your river tank - cm12setx Congrats on 4,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 Have a "bluegil" for passing 4,000! - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    You definitely want something with more width. They need bottom surface area. A lot of tanks I've seem them in are square just for that reason. You don't have to go full square but you want a fatter tank than standard size. Have you looked at tea cup sting rays? I know very little about them but I was under the impression they staid rather small.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

0 Not allowed!
    I always wanted Stingrays for years. Also my favorite commonly found aquarium stingray is the Freshwater Florida Atlantic Stingray. I also know they are the type of Stingray that stays at the top of the water and I can contest to this since I have seen them before. I have read they only grow a disc size of only 2 feet max . What would you guys suggest as a absolute minimum size for 1 and for 2?
    Wife's Tank
    20 Gallon tall

My tank
    120 Gallon
    with 2 Florida Atlantic Stingrays and 12 Mystery Snails - starting on that project soon.

0 Not allowed!
    Petsolution.com says max size is only around 14".
    Wife's Tank
    20 Gallon tall

My tank
    120 Gallon

Awards Showcase

Sharring my winnings - steeler58 Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny for giving a catfish its first taste of human. - cm12setx pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie For being MOTM - steeler58 
    looking forward to more rapid river videos - showmebutterfly A little late, but congrats MOTM! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on 3,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 A Cory for Mr 3,000 - steeler58 you could be famous! - SeaLady 
    For following through on a dare! - steeler58 For having a big heart and caring :) - steeler58 Have a cup of joe for the good converstion this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    for playing the cory game - cm12setx Congrats on 3,900, they don't have kuhliis, LOL - Slaphppy7 cycled your river tank - cm12setx Congrats on 4,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 Have a "bluegil" for passing 4,000! - steeler58 

1 Not allowed!
    Personally I'd say you'd need a tank that's at least 6'X4'. But I'm not an expert and I've never had a stingray. I would check with these guys:
    http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/

They are the ones who know this stuff.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by freshwaterfishlover View Post
    Petsolution.com says max size is only around 14".
    IMO, That would still make a 18" wide tank too small for them. Although I have never kept rays, I would think they are like all other fish and need a tank they can comfortable turn around in.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Have a martini on me fellow western marylander - jbeining75 thank you so much my puffer and i are very happy - Angila Heres one! :D - Wild Turkey nice plecos - KingFisher For all your advice  thanks - Celtic Fins 
    for your kind comments. - Celtic Fins Merry Christmas - Northernguy Awesome help with my loaches - R2 Ranch Seasons Greetings. Have a great Christmas - Celtic Fins Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill 
    Happy New year - Celtic Fins May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins 2001 posts! - Northernguy For your helpful fry advice - Cliff Its not a featherfin but thanks for the info!lol - Northernguy 
    Merry Christmas!!!!  :) - Ellen4God 

0 Not allowed!
    Teacup rays are small, but also considered more difficult to keep in aquariums. Motoro rays are one of the easiest species, generally recommended for starting with. A wide, shallow tank is best for any rays, an indoor pond or pool would be much better. I've seen indoor ponds built with 4x4 frames and a pond liner, much less expensive than an aquarium, and better suited to their needs. Not something suitable for most apartments though. Minimum depth for ray tanks would be 24".
    Last edited by toddnbecka; 05-30-2014 at 05:26 PM.

^^^^Please click the eggs/dragons, thanks.

0 Not allowed!
    I was thinking of downgrading to a 120g that is 4x2x2.
    Wife's Tank
    20 Gallon tall

My tank
    120 Gallon