· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Default What order to put media in Fluval 205

0 Not allowed!
    Hi Fishies,

I cannot seem to find any definitive information on what order to put the media in the baskets for a Fluval 205 in. Not on their website nor several searches here. Maybe it doesn't matter??!! I had a link to a graphic about it but I just clicked on it and I just go to the fluval site which I found not helpful.
    I have a 30 g tank and recently moved to the country (well water with iron bacteria) from the city (nasty chlorine water plus lord knows what) where we seem to have a little bit of an ammonia problem, so I have the charcoal bag from 2+years ago, a new ammonia bag because we have apparently "too much nutrients" in our water per the LFS, the fine filter pad, which is nasty but I wash it out in the used water after a WC now and then, and now I've purchased those bio max rings. I'm also adding extra Prime and a thing named stability if that matters.

I have live plants, all nitrates, nitrites, ammonia and so on are OK at the moment. My tank is not overstocked. PH was oddly a little below normal but has recently been OK.

I went to put the rings in tonight but they wouldn't all fit and it then made me question if there should be a proper order to these items.

I also lost one of my 16 ember tetras recently - he/she turned black for several weeks and then kicked the bucket. Every one else is OK, the LFS said it was probably ammonia burn...heart breaking.

Thanks if you can help. Help me help...them.

Cheerio and bless your fins,

Froggy
    African Dwarf Frogs, Betta, Dwarf Chain Loaches, Otocilclus, Ember Tetras, Amano Shrimp in one magical 31 gallon tank

Two pea puffers in another tank!

0 Not allowed!
    I think maybe you need to stop relying on the LFS and see about getting your own liquid test kit.

With externals we generally start with something to catch large particles, then bio-active media like ceramics, then a sponge for good measure and some filter floss just before the return.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post

With externals we generally start with something to catch large particles, then bio-active media like ceramics, then a sponge for good measure and some filter floss just before the return.
    Fluvals have no choice but to put the sponges first.

From there, it's the users choice on the order. Most people set up their filters sponge - carbon - biomedia, and then perhaps a polishing pad of some sort. I think it's better to put the biomedia ahead of the carbon. If I used carbon, I would make it the last stage of filtration to make it easier to change every month. But I don't, so I just use more biomedia instead.

On my non fluval canisters, the first stage of filtration is fluval ceramic prefilters. They trap large particles while allowing the water to flow. Then is sponge. Then the rest is biomax.
    125 - big fish - BGK
    125 - cichlid community - cichlids (red severums, chanchitos, bolivian rams, blue acara, chocolate), rainbows (yellow, turquoise, red and boesmani), loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis, golden wonder killis
    90 - african community - Congo tetras, african knife, african butterflies, spotted ctenopoma, palmas bichir, african featherfin
    10 - female pink convict
    5 - betta/ADFs

QTs - 2x29, 20H, 20L

0 Not allowed!
    I have used nothing but sponges and bio-max in my filters for a few years now. Works great for my set-ups. I had also taken that approach when I was using a Fluval 405. Water quality and clearity was always good
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    I have a Fluval 305 - since I have owned it (when I joined here) I have the original sponges (which I squeeze out in tank water), bottom basket is pillow stuffing for extra mechanical filtration, middle basket is pillow stuffing & ceramic rings & top basket is ceramic rings - the original ones that came with the filter.

I totally agree that you should stop relying upon your LFS to tell you what is wrong with your water - they will tell you to buy things you don't need - like ammonia things, additives, etc. As everyone else has noted, there is no need to keep carbon in there unless you are trying to remove medication.

Your best purchase will be a liquid test kit! Many of us use the API freshwater.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks y'all. I do have API kits for nitrite, nitrate and ammonia. They always come out fine but still I knew there was something wrong recently.
    Anywhoo, I've put my filter back together per your suggestions and really appreciate the help.
    The LFS says not to trust the opinions of those on the forum and the forum folks say don't trust the LFS! I'm amazed that anyone lasts very long in this hobby, it's been a long 2+ years of learning for me.
    So glad to have your help though, you've helped save a lot of lives.

Frog Out
    African Dwarf Frogs, Betta, Dwarf Chain Loaches, Otocilclus, Ember Tetras, Amano Shrimp in one magical 31 gallon tank

0 Not allowed!
    Really? The LFS says not to listen to us huh? LOL Many members have been in this hobby consistently for decades and none of us get paid for giving advice - while employees get paid to sell fish, sell supplies, chemicals, tanks, etc. - many of them don't even own their own tanks. IDK - I think experience talks - regarding cycling, fish compability, setting up a new tank, plants, etc.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

0 Not allowed!
    Yah, LFS worker are not paid well and it's sad that animals die over it.
    Glad for all your experience and help for free!
    I have a new baby and have been watching children's shows for the first time in 20 years and it kills me how many times I see a goldfish in some crappy bowl with "clown puke" rocks and a fake plant as if it is a happy thing.
    <sigh>

0 Not allowed!
    Bio-max goes where the water is the cleanest.....therefore at the top. Everyone fills their canisters to their own liking. I use coarse sponges at the bottom, pillow stuffing in the center for water polishing and bio-max on top. Depends on what works for you.