· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Talking Fertalizers

0 Not allowed!
    Ok so i have only recently started becoming interested in doing the whole planted tank thing properly. I have looked at commercial root tabs and fertilizers are much to expensive to do for a 150gal for a student. So I have been looking into DIY. A number of people use osmocot plus in capsules or ice to get to the roots, job done, however some people have issues because if they get out of the substrate it blasts the tank, fish deaths etc.
    In Australia we have a native plants version which according to some Down Under threads is better as it contains less urea as plants down here have different requirement.

All this being said I was still quite hesitant to try it, I went down to bunnings (local hardware/garden place) and went to fertilizers section to have a look. I found an osmocote aquatic garden fert tabs, which claims to be safe for fish.

There are 50 tabs, 250g net in the bag, all for $6 What do we all think???

They also had a large range of soluble trace elements and major elements dry ferts, considering you know exactly what you are putting in, not to mention the significant price variation to commercial liquid ferts what to people think about these? I'm fairly comfortable working with dosage rates %weight %volume and that sort of thing as I did a chemistry unit at university. Is this something that is doable?
    6ft Australian Fresh water turtle tank - 2 macleay river turtles, numerous guppy at varying stages of development.

5ft 150gal planted discus tank - 8 discus, 10 cardinal tetras, 10 rummnose, 6 albino cories, and breeding RCS in tank sump and just about everywhere everything done from scratch, filtration and stand tank
    journal @
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=101658

0 Not allowed!
    I've been using osmocote for a little over a year now, bought them from someone on plantedtank I think. They are in capsules and I use bury them in evenly in my planted tanks. They seem to work well for heavy root feeding plants. As with any fertilizer have to be sure not to overdo it, can lead to algae issues.

For fertilizers that I add to the water, I use dry ferts from http://greenleafaquariums.com/aquarium-fertilizer.html . There are a few other sites that sell ferts here as well. Dry ferts are so much cheaper than the liquid bottles sold in the fish stores.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If only I lived in America. Shipping would be a tab expensive here i think
    6ft Australian Fresh water turtle tank - 2 macleay river turtles, numerous guppy at varying stages of development.

5ft 150gal planted discus tank - 8 discus, 10 cardinal tetras, 10 rummnose, 6 albino cories, and breeding RCS in tank sump and just about everywhere everything done from scratch, filtration and stand tank
    journal @
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=101658

0 Not allowed!
    a micro fertilizer mix you should be able to have shipped. Macro fertilizer you can get anywhere that sells chemicals, most countries you can even have your pharmacy order it for you.

Those pellets look ok, bit heavier on the phosphor and lower on the iron than I'd like to see but that's personal preference.