· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: oscar emergancy

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Unhappy oscar emergancy

0 Not allowed!
    greetings everyone from canada! unfortunatly it is not all gravy up here i have a very sick young oscar fish and i need some assistance asap she has not eaten anything solid for almost a week now although will consume some brine shrimp but that is it she lays on her side all day with her tail twitching and was having trouble breathing out of one gill, today i looked at my tank and she is cockeyed but still alive should i just give up and put my oscar out of her misery bc looks very painful and i hate seeing her suffer or does anyone know what i could do she does not show any signs of fungus but i applied melafix and pimafix anyways bc it was all i had and seemed to help a little but this morning she was cockeyed, and her feces are white. could this be a paracite i feed my oscars a bulk diet of shrimp but i don't think that was what caused it bc my other larger oscar is unaffected and the rest of the fish in the tank are fine too. Please help me she is in pain please respond to save this oscars life any suggestions would be helpful and appreciated

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas (it's the worlds smallest dwarf puffer) - Abbeys_Mom   Strawberry Daquari please....from Hobbs - hobbs   You need more good luck - hobbs   Because you are my hero! - f1oored   For your Dad - crackatinny   
    Childhood Cancer - kimmers318   

0 Not allowed!
    First step when a fish is out of sorts is to check your water parameters. What are your readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrates? What size tank do you have this oscar in? Is it by itself or in another tank with the larger O?
    Once you determine that it is not a water issue you can move forward, but it sounds like high nitrate symptoms to me. I have seen it before with my husband's O's and it is sounding like deja vu.
    Kimmer

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Tank size? Filtration? Tank numbers? We need info on it. Sounds like ammonia poising, did you cycle the tank? Do a large water change and add extra stress coat and add the correct amount of aquarium salt. They need at least a 55g for one, 75g is ideal.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

thought you needed a gift :) - arkie   for a fellow front lover - sailor   this is the biggest fish they have!! - The Red Severum   For making me smile with your Arow story. - Brookfish   Happy Holidays! - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    the first step is def. to answer all of the questions listed above. when my fish are acting out of the normal i will usually do a water change (no more than 50%) then re-evaluate the situation and retest the params.
    -Jordan
    Gar connaisseur

Predatory Tank:
    20" Tropical Gar, 18" Florida Gar, 20" Longnose Gar,
    17" Ornate Bichir, 25" Silver Arowana, 16" Bowfin, 15" Giant Gourami

16" Male Dovii

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    i have a 25 gal eclipse tall tank with a yellow african cichlid, a dragon golby, an albino corydora and a tiger corydora have all natural plants but i have turned my active carbon off i do have carbon in the filters, i washed out filters a little not too much and did a 50% water change last nite but still nothing and just applied some aquarium salt to the mix hopefully she will come around. dont have any levels yet but i will soon temp is 28c
    Last edited by oscarfish21; 10-26-2007 at 01:35 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a beer to go with your name :) - Abbeys_Mom   your christmas present.  It's the 33g, it's folded :) - Abbeys_Mom   Merry X-mas - NorthernBoy   Singing to you.  Can you hear me? - hobbs   In memory of your friend, and a little love for you on that loss - kimmers318   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - crackatinny   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - crackatinny   AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - crackatinny   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - crackatinny   

0 Not allowed!
    Salt is not good for catfish, it should not be used in tanks with skinned fish.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

god im hungry - cocoa_pleco   You make me laugh! - Drumachine09   And lots of pizza too! lol - Chrona   wish i had some of this to drink right now - cocoa_pleco   DAAAAAM, this drink looks good - cocoa_pleco   
    Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - cocoa_pleco   Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - cocoa_pleco   Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - cocoa_pleco   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - cocoa_pleco   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - cocoa_pleco   

0 Not allowed!
    a 25g is too small, especially with other fish, oscars need at least a 55g.

keep up with lots of water changes

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

thought you needed a gift :) - arkie   for a fellow front lover - sailor   this is the biggest fish they have!! - The Red Severum   For making me smile with your Arow story. - Brookfish   Happy Holidays! - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by cocoa_pleco
    a 25g is too small, especially with other fish, oscars need at least a 55g.

keep up with lots of water changes
    it does sound a bit overstocked, but w/out knowing the sizes of any of these fish you cant say for sure. they said the oscar was young so it may not need the 55g yet. in the future as the oscar grows it will def. need a 55g or better though. as stated before though...keep up w/ the water changes and hope for the best.
    -Jordan
    Gar connaisseur

Predatory Tank:

16" Male Dovii

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy New Year - Lady Hobbs   Welcome Back! - Lady Hobbs   welcome back - angelcakes   here you go dork - SamAnthrax   No Message - The Red Severum   

0 Not allowed!
    if the oscar is in that tank longer than a few months i believe his growth could possibly be stunted. Not entirely positive on it but 25 gallons isnt nearly enough.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearsfan18
    if the oscar is in that tank longer than a few months i believe his growth could possibly be stunted. Not entirely positive on it but 25 gallons isnt nearly enough.
    i have been growing an oscar out in a 29 gallon for quite some time now. he still has more than enough room to swim.
    -Jordan
    Gar connaisseur

Predatory Tank:

16" Male Dovii

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast