· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Green Water

1. Default Green Water

0 Not allowed!
    Hey,

I have second hand Jewel 150. It has been up and running for 3 days. It has been set up with new filter material and black gravel (Pets at home... i liked it). After day one I found out the heater was on the blink so i replace that (200w). The lights were on a little while i admired the tank but have otherwise been off.

Day two I came home to find a white cloudy mist across the tank. Throughout the evening this turned green. Unfortunately I had bought some plants on my way home which have now been planted (keeping the spare wool from the plants in the filter) but all this occurred before the planting. I also put in my well soaked mangrove root as i couldn't keep it in the bath any longer.

Today i have come home and added some Filter Start liquid.The lights have been on for 24 hours to help the plants and are now off. I have tested the Ph and its 7.5 and the nitrates are at 0. The water is a lot cleaner than last night but still has a green tinge.

I have a feeling that i may not have cleaned out the tank sufficiently although i did give it a good effort with only water. Is this a learn your lesson and start again moment or is there something i can do to recover this. I would prefer the second option as i am always up for a challenge but i don't want to be wasting my time.

Thanks

Alex
    Last edited by cannedfool; 04-16-2013 at 07:35 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    It appears you are trying to prepare the tank for fish?

Are you adding ammonia to do this? Running a tank with water in it won't prepare it - it's just using electricity : ()
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I was planning to put fish in it yes.

I had been looking at putting a few fish in it this weekend to cycle the tank but I wasn't expecting such green cloudy water.

The filter start (by interpret) i put in i am honestly not sure what is in it (apart from what they say on the website). But i am following the guide that came with the Kit i got.

0 Not allowed!
    generally speaking, completing fishless cycle can be quicker and less work than cycling with fish

There are links below in my sig that explain both processes better than I can

Does you tank get any direct sunlight ?
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ill read it thanks, i think i read somewhere that with fish it was quicker. I will defiantly check out the posts.

No its not in direct sunlight for any part of the day and the room inst the brightest either.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Can't help you with your green water issue but can report from personal experience that fishless cycling is twice to 3 times faster than cycling with fish and no water changes are involved as well as no fish are subjected to ammonia or nitrite poisoning.
    do check out the stickie on fishless cycling and get back to us if you have any questions.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for all the info on cycling.

Yesterday i made the choice to do a 60% water change (quite chuffed that I can still make 27 degree water by hand), Leaving the lights off since then. I Still have a green tinge to the water so am thinking I might just strip down and start again taking some bleach to the tank.

I do have a few questions if anyone can help....

1) Do i boil/sterilize the filter material before rebuilding the tank? Its all new since Sunday and with this algae bloom being so quick (after 1 day filling). I am wondering if it is not just full of harmful stuff rather than a lot of good bacteria yet.

2) Can i keep my plants? if so how should i store them? I was thinking just keeping them in some tank water then cleaning each leaf before returning to the tank?

If all else fails and it comes back again I think I might just buy a UV Filter. It cant harm to own one when I have a few tanks in the future?

Thanks everyone.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by cannedfool View Post
    Thanks for all the info on cycling.

1) Do i boil/sterilize the filter material before rebuilding the tank? Its all new since Sunday and with this algae bloom being so quick (after 1 day filling). I am wondering if it is not just full of harmful stuff rather than a lot of good bacteria yet.

There is no need to boil any filter material (or replace it for that matter) if it was new when added to your tank. Before putting fish in to cycle the tank, I would follow the above advice and add pure ammonia to accomplish this - it IS faster because you can spike the ammonia, keep the temperature higher (because bacteria grow faster when it's warm) and grow bacteria faster.

2) Can i keep my plants? if so how should i store them? I was thinking just keeping them in some tank water then cleaning each leaf before returning to the tank?

You can keep the plants in the tank while cycling it.

If all else fails and it comes back again I think I might just buy a UV Filter. It cant harm to own one when I have a few tanks in the future?

IMO There is no need at this point to buy a UV filter - unless you are going to anyway (I'm not familiar with them). To get rid of the green water, you might just change out the water in the tank but I still recommend using ammonia (if you choose this method, shake the bottle 1st & make sure it doesn't foam) instead of fish.Thanks everyone.
    May I also add that you purchase a liquid test kit if you don't already own one - essential when cycling a tank - no strips and no using your LFS!
    Last edited by imma24; 04-18-2013 at 05:32 PM.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Loads. I am almost finished boiling all the gravel and I have cleaned the tank with bleach and then rinsed it very very well.

I am hoping to fill it tonight and then do my best to find some ammonia tomorrow. I have tried a few places today with no luck.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Finally found some ammonia yesterday in a very small out of the way pharmacy. It went in yesterday and I have my master test kit ready to start testing in a few days.

If only i could make it go quicker lol. Thanks again everyone.

Ps: Ammonia has been taken of sale in the UK completely now. Its a while stocks last situation.