· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    this might sound obvious but are you using a chlorine remover? Do you have any contamination in your water?

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yes I treat all of my water and there is no contamination.
    Mike
    120g Mixed Reef In Progress
    120g Reef Journal
    55g Freshwater - Out of Service
    My 55g Tank Remodel Project
    72g Bowfront -Out of Service

0 Not allowed!
    I'm beginning to think your fish come with a bacterial infection. Columnaris comes to mind.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Cardinal Tetras are extremely sensitive to water conditions and changes. They allow absolutely no contact with any type of ammonia or chlorine. They respond to bounces of anything by just dropping dead. If you had a bacterial infection or anything that was wrong with the fish you would lose the entire batch within a day or so, it would just light them up. If you acclimated them to your tank improperly you would have lost them relatively quickly, right after introduction or within a day or so. These little guys don't languish they just drop off.

You can not introduce any form of chlorine / chloramine into their tanks, none. You should not pull water out and add dechlor and introduce the water into the tank with chlorine and expect the chlorine to be reacted upon within the tank and not affect these fish. You have to vat age or tub age the water well aerated and even then only do at maximum a 30% water change on them. These have actually gotten a lot tougher as a species than when they were not able to be bred in captivity. Not so long ago you could not even sneeze near these little fish and a dozen would roll over on you. Most likely you are agitating the gill membranes just enough to inhibit oxygen uptake into the fish and they just gradually succumb to oxygen depletion. This is one of the most common problems had with them. Adding stress coats or other additives to the water to ease their situation seems to be counter productive and just adds to the pace of loss of them. Try vat aging the water. I do this to all sensitive species.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have a call in to the fish shop to return all of the remaining cardinals. Today I finally found a symptom (i think). This is the first time I have visibly seen any odd behavior from the fish. There is one that is swimming very erratically. He will appear fine for a couple minutes then just start looping and rolling. Also it shows signs of listing to one side or the other. I suspect he will be a goner by morning. Physically the fish appears fine.
    Mike
    120g Reef Journal

0 Not allowed!
    I'm sorry you are having trouble with your Cardinals. I like IWA remember back in the 70's they were indeed hard to keep. One day healthy and the next day half of them floating. With the strides made in conditioners and our education I very rarely have any problems with them these days.

Since your taking them back and you like the fish; maybe start over with Neon tetras?
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I don't know Steeler1... Part of me thinks I should leave the tank empty for a bit just to ensure there was not a parasite or anything that could be transmitted to the new fish. Since my tank is planted and my ph is 8ish what else would be good for this tank?
    Mike
    120g Reef Journal

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mrramsey View Post
    I don't know Steeler1... Part of me thinks I should leave the tank empty for a bit just to ensure there was not a parasite or anything that could be transmitted to the new fish. Since my tank is planted and my ph is 8ish what else would be good for this tank?
    Probably a good Idea, don't forget to dose with ammonia so you don't loose your cycle.

Since your pH is high maybe consider some Dwarf neon rainbows when you feel ready to start again.

I wish you the best in the future, as a huge cardinal tetra fan I'm sorry they did not work out.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Merry Christmas buddy! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 
    Merry Christmas Sandz! - Taurus Happy birthday buddy! - KevinVA Happy B-day!! - steeler1 Happy Bday bud!!! - Hardy85 Have a little cake and ..... - fishmommie 
    .... beer.  Hope it was a good one. - fishmommie Happy Birthday!  Enjoy! - jeffs99dime I'll drink to that! - steeler1 Enjoy! - Hardy85 This one's on me... - Slaphppy7 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    That sounds so weird. Im sorry you experienced this Mike.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yes and the erratic swimmer was dead this morning as I suspected it would be. The belly looked a bit greyish but then again not sure how long it was dead.

Now on the hunt for a replacement fish specie. Still open to suggestions? I will know this afternoon if the store will take these back. I am hoping they do and at least swap for something else. If not I am afraid these will all expire in the next couple of weeks. Such a shame.
    Mike
    120g Reef Journal