· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default More landlord issues, insurance

0 Not allowed!
    Found this thread:
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=111548

...and wanted to ask my own question.

I've had my 45 gallon in a rented apartment for about a year; the landlord knows about it, I have insurance that covers water damage, and it's fine. Now I want to move to a different area. I have found the perfect rental unit in the area I want, BUT.....the landlord in the potential new place was hesitant when I asked about aquariums. I asked because many places forbid it, and I didn't want any surprises after the fact.

He hemmed and hawed a bit, and then stated that if I could show I had insurance, it should be OK. He doesn't trust the insurance companies not to find some loophole, so he says if he's going to allow my aquarium, he wants to see it specifically stated, in writing from the insurance company, that I am covered for water damage caused by an aquarium.

I asked at my insurance place, and they said that they couldn't provide anything specific to aquariums in writing, but that unless it specifically states in the policy that aquariums are excluded, the water damage insurance is enough. I told the landlord, and he said, "No, I want it in writing, specifically stating about the aquarium. If it's not in writing, it doesn't matter what they said."

I've asked at three different insurance places and they've all said the same thing: I'm covered for water damage, but they can't provide a written statement other than what is already on the policy. (One place though, did contact the underwriters, who stated that if I told them I had an aquarium, they couldn't insure me at all. Now, that I don't understand. So I'm not supposed to tell them about the aquarium and supposedly I'm still covered?)

I do NOT want to give up my aquarium and this could be a dealbreaker for me. Anyone here with experience on these insurance issues?

Do massive water leakages really happen anyway? I bought the aquarium new, I've handled it properly (empty and from the bottom); I keep it on the stand that was designed for it, and I've had aquariums since I was a child and never had one leak.
    Last edited by ApheIchthyophobia; 04-16-2013 at 06:46 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    I can not offer any advice about your insureance

In my 17 years of keeping tanks, I have never had a massive leak in any tank. The longest I have one single aquarium was 9 years. I had a 55 gallon tank that I bought in Saskatoon Saskatchewan, moved it to Louisville Kentucky, then moved it Toronto Ontario, then moved it back to Saskatoon. If any tank would have leaked, I would think it would have been that one

I think others have had different experiances. This is just mine.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    In my experiences along with what I've seen online the only time there is a "major" leak is when a filter or something like that fails. Usually if the tanks leak it is very slow, sometimes people don't notice it for awhile.

As for the insurance try to use a "local" place, like I have a state farm right down the street where I can go talk to the agent. Or see if you can email them asking if aquariums are excluded. If they say water damage from an aquarium "isn't excluded" I would think that is enough to make the landlord happy. Or offer to make a larger deposit. I know mine asked for double the deposit b/c I had a dog and aquarium

0 Not allowed!
    Another apartment dweller here and the same thing worries me. I'm afraid of a leaking tank destroying the furniture in the apartment under me. Or a lawsuit. My apartment manager told me I probably should have renters insurance but renters insurance would not cover damage from a leaking tank. That would require flood insurance.

Perhaps your agent can add a rider to your policy to cover your fish tank for not too much money?

Very, Very little water damage is covered under Homeowners/Renters Insurance. Fish tanks would not be one of them so the policy you have now listing "water damage" is of little good.
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 04-16-2013 at 12:21 PM.

Default Why jump through hoops and fight with someone that obviously doesn't want you there?

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ApheIchthyophobia View Post
    I have found the perfect rental unit in the area I want, BUT.....the landlord in the potential new place was hesitant when I asked about aquariums.
    Look for a less 'perfect' rental with a more 'perfect' landlord/aquarium policy.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    You have to look at it from their perspective. A landlord wants as little risk as possible when selecting a tenant. To someone who does not keep fish, or even someone who does, a water filled glass box may pose an inordinate risk to their property, even though any such incident is unlikely. They could just as easily find someone who does not keep tanks. You may just need to keep looking.
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff