· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default New tiger barb swimming diagonally and not socializing

0 Not allowed!
    Hi, I recently got 5 tiger barbs and 5 zebra danios for my new 15gal tank. Everything was fine, the fish were happy but one tiger barb got caught in the filter and died, so we since tied some clean net to the end of it, and no more accidents have happened.
    However, when I bought a new tiger barb, it has since been sitting in a corner, not socializing or anything, and it's swimming diagonally like this
    | \ |
    if the | |s are the aquarium corners and you're looking at the fish's front.

Is this because of the bladder problem? Should I try feeding him a crushed pea? The zebra danios also seem to 'tease' him a bit, but not excessively.
    He occasionally goes to the other tiger barbs but only for a few moments before swimming back to his corner.

0 Not allowed!
    A lot of things can cause this type of behavior. The first information we will need to rule out some of the common problems is a history of your tank.
    Did you cycle it before adding fish?
    If so, how did you cycle it? Briefly describe your process.
    What are the current parameters when you test the water? (Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate) post actual numbers.
    What kind of filter is it?

My guess is that there is a bigger issue than just this one fish. Otherwise healthy fish don't often get sucked onto the filter intake. That fish was likely weakened by sickness or dead before it got sucked up on the filter.
    Have you considered a larger tank? Tiger barbs are active schooling fish that get to be a decent size as adults. They arguably need a minimum tank size of 30 gallons, some others would say 55 gallons due to their very active nature. Your tank is severely overstocked and if you don't change your stocking or your tank size, this may just be the start of your problems.
    ~Manna
    10 gallon live planted aquarium with 6 neons
    90 gallon fw community in progress

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well, it doesn't matter now that he's dead... three fish died from getting sucked into the filter, two even with a safety net. What can I do to fix this?
    Yes, I cycled the tank.
    I put the filter and water in, live plants, and everything else, let it all run for 3-4 weeks putting food in every 2 days, and tested the water until it was fine.
    I'm not sure what kind of filter it is.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    never mind, found it: aqua-tech 5-15 power filter with bio-fiber biological filtration and EZ-change #1 filter cartridge

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pazda View Post
    Well, it doesn't matter now that he's dead... three fish died from getting sucked into the filter, two even with a safety net. What can I do to fix this?
    Yes, I cycled the tank.
    I put the filter and water in, live plants, and everything else, let it all run for 3-4 weeks putting food in every 2 days, and tested the water until it was fine.
    I'm not sure what kind of filter it is.
    Did u use a liquid test kit,test strips,or took water to your closest pet store? A fresh water test kit would be best. Did you get readings of ammoni=0, nitrites=0, and nitrates=20 ppm or lower? As far as the tiger barbs like crunchy leaf mentioned Tiger Barbs should be in minimum of 30. I had a species only Barb tank and those fellas are very active and used the entire tank to school.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    off topic but my dad had a pond in our front yard with gold fish he redid the walls with new rocks and a month later i lifted one and there was a goldfish pinned down, he some how survived he swam crooked but eventually started swimming right thought it was amazing.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    bump. the water's getting bad since I can't have the filter on... how can i make sure no more fish die?

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    if your fish are getting stuck to the inlet then you can add a sponge filter to it to stop them from getting stuck. turning off the filter is the worst thing you can do, hope your bb isnt dead
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I couldn't find one of those for my aqua-tech filter. Are there any homemade solutions?

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    get an aquaclear filter sponge, cut a slit in the almost to the end leaving like a half inch. insert the inlet tube into the sponge. works well for my plants and my shrimp
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!