· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mojosodope View Post
    +1 to a large denison school

Substrate sounds good, what dry ferts do you plan to start dosing?
    The Stuff I got from Planted Aquarium Fertilizer site.

Magnesium , Potassium and Nitrate, and see how it goes.

Jeff

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds good be wary of your nitrogen dosing tho.

I don't recommend starting to dose with ferts at all right away. Reason being the substrate will leech a little while they settle and the water column would be filled with ferts already.

Adding more would most likely give you an algae boom.

Endangered Species 150G Journal
    Discus Grow Out 65G Journal

'No disrespect intended, but I tell it like it is.'

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    True all gravel in a what a job that was.

But had enough thank God.

Now the wood and set up my lights and rocks hit Lowe's for some timers and wait on the filters to show up I hope by Friday as went out Monday.

As you say no ferts until plants are growing good, I can hook back up my CO2 will see down the road means another timer , oh well.

I hope to enjoy the fish for many years and I guess might even have some plants for trade, still wanting some Cherry shrimp in here also.

Jeff
    Last edited by reef12; 05-08-2013 at 06:14 PM.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Okay all Plants shipped Filters in, driftwood all here most of it so water will hit by Saturday.

Now after I start it up using the non fish cycle ammonia deal, after it gets to where all is good, first critters can be shrimp and Otos then?

I think no schools of Tiger Barbs just will be total calm and get along fish Maybe a big school of Rummy noses and something else.

Well Rummies don't eat shrimp do they?

Thinking Amano shrimp and cherry shrimp .

Anything else in the way of the algae control critters?

Besides those Nerite snails, as they leave trails of white non hatching eggs all over the driftwood, bummer there anyway to remove that stuff without taking the

wood out of the Aquarium?

Thanks

Jeff

0 Not allowed!
    You might want to consider adding the shrimp and otos last. I have never kept them, but from what I have read they seam to be a little more sensitive to water parameters. You might have better luck if you added more hardy fish first until your tank matures a little after it's cycled

Hopefully, someone who has actually kept shrimp and Otos can offer some first hand experience here.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Would depend on the shrimp species. A dozen or so of an easy species like cherries won't cause any bioload on something this big. If the ammonia and nitrite are gone they should be fine.
    Otos are sensitive to water quality and really do best when there's algae growth already.

Amano shrimp are usually sold as adults and as such too big to eat for rummy nose. Cherry shrimp would reproduce in a tank like this and pretty much anything except the smallest fish (like chili rasboras) will eat any young and careless shrimp. Despite that if you'd start with a dozen and you offer hiding places there's a good chance that you can build up a slowly expanding population.

Rummy nose aren't very picky with water values as long as they're stable and not extremely hard. A 125 gallon would allow you to build the group up to about 50 fish over time and that would be a lovely sight and you'd still have the capacity to add "something else"

With the build nearing completion I'd like to see a few pics once the wood is in.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Both To cliff and Talldutchie , both good replies I will do on the Pics once I get Plants and all the lights hooked up.

Yes I will have some pics maybe by this or latest next weekend.

Thanks again.

Jeff

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    A few pics of the starting to set up.

Excuse the Shop light have not finished the Hood lights yet.

One piece of Mopani seems to have a mind of it's own. LOL.

It will settle soon, should of soaked it but as well all new said let it all settle together.

Jeff

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Tank about up now.

Some melting of some of the bought ones hope they kick back in.

Have some others coming also, water a bit cloudy but no big deal as will cycle the whole thing as one, let the fun begin,oh think I might try one of those 50 watt

LED's in one corner to see might add another to the other side.

Does not look like 380 watts of light here, LOL.
    Jeff

Awards Showcase

A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I don't like to drink alone..... Cheers - Cliff because they rock! and for showing them to me. - cm12setx Here's to retirement! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the videos and great advice on restocking my dual 29s! - gronlaura 
    for tirelessly showing beautiful, various fish - RiversGirl T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF on the 13th with a full moon. - Taurus Spurs! - RiversGirl Here's a get well soon beer, so get well ASAP. - Taurus 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 feelin your pain - SeaLady Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass Beer reduces kidney stones! - Sandz T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    Thx. Have another on me! - pRED Enjoy the 4th brother :-) - Taurus Bleeding blues! - RiversGirl TGIF and here's to the bleeding blues Lee. - Taurus This one's on me.... - Slaphppy7 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Tank realy looks good man!
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.” ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep