· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Taking suggestions, but still leaning toward the Cherry's and Tigers.

Picked up the filter today and got the gravel ordered.

Next the lights.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Some pieces of Malaysian driftwood ordered and two VHO 95 watt URI bulbs coming will give me the four bulbs so a total of 380 watts of 10,000 k bulbs, and yes I think on the Kelvin side I guess left over from the salt water tank days.

Cheers
    Jeff

0 Not allowed!
    ARe you planning pressurized CO2 with this set-up as well ?

With that amount of light, that might be something to look into the help keep things balanced amd limit the risks of algae taking hold.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Only reason I say look around at other fish is because of how common tigers and cherries are. For a 125g tank, I feel like you should have something a bit less common or unique. Tigers and cherries to me just seem like the fish everyone stocks because they are cheap and readily available. I like steelers suggestion of congos and denison barbs.

Might cost a little more, but remember, you don't need as many because they get larger, and will most likely have to get them from a better source thus less likely to have die offs in the beginning
    The Dirty 75
    11 Parva Rainbow, 2 Platies, 14 Sterbai, 4 Calico BN Pleco
    My Triple 10 Stack
    My First AC Thread

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    ARe you planning pressurized CO2 with this set-up as well ?

With that amount of light, that might be something to look into the help keep things balanced amd limit the risks of algae taking hold.
    I have two setups for Co2 I used to run it back in 04, 05 , kind of started back in 07 but since then no.

I do have a 20 lb bottle, I bet past that inspection deal now, and kind of afraid to bring it for a replacement.

I might the gas is cheap but there is a sur- charge of like $25.00 on the Bottle, go figure Oklahoma baby. LOL

Not a bad idea though thanks, will put that on my list, tank is in the bedroom , so wife is still saying the filter will keep her awake at night, I say you won't hear it honey, LOL.

Bad thing is when those 380 watts of light coming beaming on at 6:00 AM and she is off those two days might be a problem.

I will be at work , but I think will have to do the timer way back on the second ones.

Jeff

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardy85 View Post
    Only reason I say look around at other fish is because of how common tigers and cherries are. For a 125g tank, I feel like you should have something a bit less common or unique. Tigers and cherries to me just seem like the fish everyone stocks because they are cheap and readily available. I like steelers suggestion of congos and denison barbs.

Might cost a little more, but remember, you don't need as many because they get larger, and will most likely have to get them from a better source thus less likely to have die offs in the beginning
    Will see still thinking about what to stock in it and yes on the fish seem all have the same.

A place sells some nice rainbows , Killie's are nice also, I used to catch them in LI in the Canal in Massapequa.

Jeff

0 Not allowed!
    I highly recommend rainbows. Denison barbs are also an excellent choice, now that they are being farmed. Of course congos are too.

In my 125 I have irian red, yellow, turquoise and boesmani rainbows, denison barbs, pearl gouramis, red severums, chanchito cichlids, bolivian rams, BN, RL and clown plecos, and angelicus, zebra, and kuhli loaches. And a horseface loach. And a golden wonder killi. And the worlds largest java moss ball :)
    125 - big fish - BGK
    125 - cichlid community - cichlids (red severums, chanchitos, bolivian rams, blue acara, chocolate), rainbows (yellow, turquoise, red and boesmani), loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis, golden wonder killis
    90 - african community - Congo tetras, african knife, african butterflies, spotted ctenopoma, palmas bichir, african featherfin
    10 - female pink convict
    5 - betta/ADFs

QTs - 2x29, 20H, 20L

0 Not allowed!
    For the light timing issue, why not just have them come on at like 1 in the afternoon and go off at 9 at night, thats what I do. It allows me a few hours of enjoying the tank with the lights on, and still keeps an 8 hour cycle. The fish don't know the difference. Plus the small amount of indirect sunlight allows them to wake up slowly too
    The Dirty 75
    My Triple 10 Stack
    My First AC Thread

0 Not allowed!
    Why plant it at all? Why not get a bunch of driftwood and attached anubias and java fern to the wood and not go with the expensive lights? Perhaps a 4 bulb hanging shoplight would do saving you more money on better filtration. I would nix the cherry barbs simply because they are small and it will take a ton of them to have any meaning to a tank of that size. Heck, I can't even find them in my 55 gallon. If I had a tank that size, I'd be thinking of severums or other 6" fish and you could still have Tiger Barbs if you wanted a slew of them.

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to the comment on the cherry barbs, in my 55 then are very tough to locate, I have 8 that I am planning to re-home at some point
    The Dirty 75
    My Triple 10 Stack
    My First AC Thread