· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Default Need help with lighting - just so confused!

0 Not allowed!
    Wanting a low-light planted tank. I see threads here and other websites list different plants that will work in low light environments, what is low light exactly? I see differences in watts, color temperature (ie 6700K), light output (lumens).

I have a 25G and currently a single tube fluorescent fixture that was included with the deluxe full hood fullhood.jpg, 18" 15 watts. I'm working with a low budget so these LED light systems are not going to work.

From what I've read thus far you need 1 to 2 watts per gallon (for low light conditions). So I need between 25-50 watt bulb, though I can't seem to find a 25 watt bulb that is 18" in length. Does this mean I need to find a fluorescent fixture that holds 2 tubes at 15 watts each? I have not had much luck finding a light fixture like that for aquarium use. I'm thinking maybe following this thread and making my own light fixture. http://www.aquatraders.com/48-inch-2...e-p/52123p.htm

Then there's the color temperature. 6700K has been thrown around as the suggested amount. What's the difference and how will it effect low light condition plants. Home Depot sells a fluorescent bulb for aquariums and the color temperature is 2700K. I would think 6700K would be over kill then, unless Philips has no idea what is required for light conditions for planted aquariums.

Any help would be terrific.
    25 Gal - Tropical
    Custom made Wet/Dry/Sump Filter System, AquaClear 20 Powerhead, RenaCal Excel 300 Heater, artificial plants
    Fish - 8 Blackskirt Tetras, 4 Red Wag Platy's, Silver Hatchet, German Blue Ram, Bulldog Pleco, Assassin snail.
    "Plans go wrong for lack of advice; many advisers bring success." King Solomon.
    Pictures of my 10 Gal Sump Filtration project

0 Not allowed!
    This link is in depth - but worth reading and will explain what you are looking for in lighting:
    http://www.americanaquariumproducts...._lighting.html

It's not Phillips lol - 6500 approximates the color temp of noon daylight at the equator so it IS an appropriate spectrum for planted tank lighting.
    The color spectrum has to do with what wavelength of light is useful to aquatic plants for photosynthesis. 2700 is not useful 6500-ish IS.

Yes you need a two bulb fixture for adequate lighting, Are the dimensions of your tank 24 1/4 x 12 1/2 x 20 3/4? If so a light like this would be effective:
    http://www.aquatraders.com/24-inch-2...e-p/52121p.htm

Just a heads up that you have about half the filtration required for that tank - Typically a filter rated for twice the volume of the tank [at a minimum] is considered sufficient. :-D.

Last edited by Goes to 11!; 04-15-2013 at 08:49 PM.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you for that link to the article, when I have some time I'll take a look at it and hopefully all my questions will be answered.

Quote Originally Posted by Goes to 11! View Post
    Just a heads up that you have about half the filtration required for that tank - Typically a filter rated for twice the volume of the tank [at a minimum] is considered sufficient. :-D.
    Curious why you think I do not have adequate filtration?
    25 Gal - Tropical
    Custom made Wet/Dry/Sump Filter System, AquaClear 20 Powerhead, RenaCal Excel 300 Heater, artificial plants
    Fish - 8 Blackskirt Tetras, 4 Red Wag Platy's, Silver Hatchet, German Blue Ram, Bulldog Pleco, Assassin snail.

Red face

0 Not allowed!
    YVW
    Quote Originally Posted by ijankrom View Post
    Curious why you think I do not have adequate filtration?
    [Rereads OP] Ah! OOPS

Here's why; I have to admit I missed the sump and only saw AC20 which is the reference I was working from.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    No worries. I'm sure it's not the first time someone thought I was underrated when they first looked at that. Initially I was just going to write AquaClear 20, then noticed the similarity in product title between the HOB (Power Filter) and Power head. At least you look at the signature for information, I think majority here do not.
    25 Gal - Tropical