· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A few questions

1. Default A few questions

0 Not allowed!
    So I have a Marineland half moon 10 g. aquarium. have had it for about a month or so. I have one Honey gourami, three Harlequin Rasboros, and one Cat fish, which i just introduced to help with eating leftover food. I got a different filter on it than the one one that came with it, as the other one was bubbling up out the back, ( I did that before I introduced the fish). My tank went cloudy for a bit, but that has now cleared, now I am getting bits of white fluffy stuff, thinking this is moldy leftover food? Just did a water change it has cleared up a bit.

I find that the suction hose that I am using does not get all the stuff in the tank, is this becuase the tank is about 8 inches off the floor? (not enough gravity)?
    Also Im a little scared that my fish are not eating enough, hence the overfeeding. The Gourami is very shy, and hides a lot, though all the fish seem fine. Done water tests everything is fine, except the ammonia was getting on the caution side, so that is also why I did the water change. I really cant figure out how much to feed them all? I currently am feeding Omega one, and bloodworms.

any help would be much appreciated. :)

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

0 Not allowed!
    First off since you still have ammonia reading present in the tank, keep up daily water changes of 30 - 50 percent. Your tank isn't cycled until the ammonia and nitrite readings stay a 0ppms.
    Please dont be tempted to feed your stock just because they are looking at you every time you get near the tank. One feeding per day will be enough. If all the food is eaten in a 3 minute period your doing well.
    If the fish are hiding and spitting out the food then they are not hungry and the water in the tank likely needs to have a water change.
    What type of cat fish did you get?
    Your in for a bit of work until the tank is cycled meaning no ammonia or nitrite reading. Keep up the water changes until all you have is a nitrate reading. Then you can plan a weekly maintenance schedule for water changes.
    Last edited by Strider199; 04-14-2013 at 08:41 PM.
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to Strider. Also, have you thought about getting a bigger tank? Those Harlequins would do best in a school of 6+ fish and that will get awful cramped in a ten gallon half moon. I don't know about honey gouramis, I think they are similar in size to a dwarf and I've seen a lot of debate about minimum tank size for them.
    Depending on the type of catfish that may also require a school or grow too large for this small tank.
    Just food for thought.
    ~Manna
    10 gallon live planted aquarium with 6 neons
    90 gallon fw community in progress

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    This is my second water change, did one last sunday. The readings have been fine all at 0. the ammonia just happened in the last day or two. The place where I get my fish is a very small fish store, and he knew what size tank I had. It is a dwarf Gourami, and I think its a cory cat, will not get much bigger, it has a little bit of orange under its fins. I know that I should have gotten more than 3 Raboros, but did not want to overcrowd the tank. They seem happy though.
    When I feed them it seems like they dont even get a chance to eat before it all gets swished away and sinks to the bottom. These fish are really not bottom feeders, except of course the cat fish. The filter is for a 10g. aquarium. I do plan on getting a bigger tank, then will use this 10g. for a sick tank. Not a lot of room in the house. The only tank I could get next is one that could be like a coffee table aquarium. Though I know how alot of advanced aquarium keepers feel about these.

edit...to add I have been using Prime and Stability, all done by what the directions say.
    Last edited by TBOBINA; 04-14-2013 at 10:10 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by TBOBINA View Post
    The place where I get my fish is a very small fish store, and he knew what size tank I had.
    It's definitely not his job to make sure your tank is stocked appropriately though, that's your job. His job is to sell you fish. Your cory cat is going to be stressed from not being in a school.

That being said, if you dont mind the consequences the stocking may have on the fish then the thing to do do is make the best of the situation by getting that tank cycled. In a cycled tank you should have some nitrate reading and no ammonia so the fact that they are all 0 means that you need to cycle it by following Steeler's advice.
    ~Manna
    10 gallon live planted aquarium with 6 neons
    90 gallon fw community in progress

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by TBOBINA View Post
    Done water tests everything is fine, except the ammonia was getting on the caution side, so that is also why I did the water change. I really cant figure out how much to feed them all
    +1 to the bigger tank and more cories.

What are you testing with?
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrunchyLeaf View Post
    It's definitely not his job to make sure your tank is stocked appropriately though, that's your job. His job is to sell you fish. Your cory cat is going to be stressed from not being in a school.

That being said, if you dont mind the consequences the stocking may have on the fish then the thing to do do is make the best of the situation by getting that tank cycled. In a cycled tank you should have some nitrate reading and no ammonia so the fact that they are all 0 means that you need to cycle it by following Steeler's advice.
    Well I am new at this, and I dont think that he would sell me something that would not be appropriate, small community here, he sells fish and reptiles. Has a good reputation. He said the fish would not get big, so maybe it is a dwarf kind? not sure.
    So how do you alll here feel about a coffee table aquarium?

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Goes to 11! View Post
    +1 to the bigger tank and more cories.

What are you testing with?
    I am testing with a a Ph test kit.
    Also a Sentry Q Mardel test kit, not the greatest I know.
    Also tested where I got my fish, the store is one minute away from me.
    plus got water tested at Petsmart, this is where i bought the tank.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Strider199 View Post
    First off since you still have ammonia reading present in the tank, keep up daily water changes of 30 - 50 percent. Your tank isn't cycled until the ammonia and nitrite readings stay a 0ppms.
    Please dont be tempted to feed your stock just because they are looking at you every time you get near the tank. One feeding per day will be enough. If all the food is eaten in a 3 minute period your doing well.
    If the fish are hiding and spitting out the food then they are not hungry and the water in the tank likely needs to have a water change.
    What type of cat fish did you get?
    Your in for a bit of work until the tank is cycled meaning no ammonia or nitrite reading. Keep up the water changes until all you have is a nitrate reading. Then you can plan a weekly maintenance schedule for water changes.
    Sorry I thought that my tank was already cycled. :( I had my tank running for quite a while before I added the fish.
    I got the cloudiness, is that not a sign of cycling?

0 Not allowed!
    Well I am new at this, and I dont think that he would sell me something that would not be appropriate]
    He already did--> One cory is not appropriate anywhere. They are very social creatures and are stressed without company of their own kind.

.. Btw [& Just to be clear on the true nature of the relationship] He will also sell you another one when this one expires... Just saying.

Actually I am not all that cynical about shops but as mentioned.. It's your job to know the requirements of something before you bring it home [You should know what you want before you get there - much in the same way that you don't get dietary tips from the checker at the grocery store & yes it requires research - That is part of the joy :-D]. When you see something you like - Go home & look up it's needs and ask here for people who have had {X}.. before you even consider bringing it home.

This method can save a lot of grief and bad surprises.

Is that a liquid or strip type of test?

So how do you alll here feel about a coffee table aquarium?
    In a word... Gimmick.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.