· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Planted Aquarium; More, Less or no change in number of fish?

0 Not allowed!
    Hello all, I am getting back into the hobby and would like to do a medium-heavy planted, 100+ gallon aquarium. I have found the answer to just about each of my questions except these: Does having a densely planted aquarium alter the number of fish you can keep in your aquarium? Does the extra filtration from the plants allow you to keep more fish? Would more frequent, small water changes be more beneficial like 5-10 gallon daily/every other day than 50% weekly to not have a large difference in pH (hoping to keep my pH around 6.8 when my tap water is 7.8)?

I have seen videos of people keeping 300 cardinal tetras in a heavy planted 180 gallon aquarium. I am going to have mostly small schooling fish, such as tetras, barbs, cory cats, rams and dwarf gouramis.

0 Not allowed!
    Plants help a bit with fixing nitrates but that's not a stellar difference.

Youtube is littered with videos of bad and horribly tanks with no thought to sustainability. The owners are often the kind of "hey, it's lived 6 months before it died, I must be doing something right" fishkeepers.

I think that eventually you could work up to 150-250 small schoolers like neons in a tank of that size, especially if you don't add ,much else.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you talldutchie. The video that I was referring to is this one:

Small schoolers is all I plan on having. The only "medium bodied" fish I would have would be German Blue Rams, Dwarf Gouramis, Cory Cats and maybe Discus, but the Discus would be in the distant future if there is proper room and once the parameters are very stable.

0 Not allowed!
    All I can say is what I do.......I change 50% weekly and my fish have done just fine in 7.6 pH for years. I also do not add more fish simply because I have plants but if you have neons/cardinals you can have a gaggle of them. I once kept 43 in a planted 29 gallon. Low bio-load fish.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Discus require different water than what your other fish need.
    plus discus eat neons. so that really wont work out.

but i agree with duchie. as that video is nice. most of those "awesome" looking tanks are showcase tanks for plants only. then during competition to deem it an "aquarium" they add in a bunch of neons and presto-your youtube video.

keeping that many neons in a big tank-great idea. but water changes are needed to keep the water fresh. in nature-they have a constant supply of fresh water, we do 50% min weekly (or most seem to do)

on a 100+ gallon tank, daily 10% water changes really does nothing. if you want to break up the 50% each week deal, then do 2-25's or 3-25's for extra measure.

0 Not allowed!
    Youtube is littered with videos of bad and horribly [stocked] tanks
    Indeed! 'nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    Plants help a bit with fixing nitrates but that's not a stellar difference,\.
    +1 Totally agree Plantings can provide more cover/territiories [In the case of aggressive fish] but as mentioned will not make a significant difference wrt to stocking#/water quality.

+1 To Mizz - I wouldn't add Discus to the stock you mentioned for the reasons mentioned.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I will more than likely avoid the discus for this aquarium and if I want to have them, I will have a smaller, species tank for them.

I have had troubles with cardinal and rummynose tetras in the past and figured it was due to the higher pH. Lady Hobbs, have you kept those tetras in that high of a pH and been successful?

Mizzou, that makes a lot of sense with the show tanks. I have no problem at all doing the 50% change weekly, I just didn't want there to be a huge swing in pH levels between the CO2 fed aquarium water being in the mid-high 6's and the high 7's from the tap water. Figured the drastic change would stress the fish.

0 Not allowed!
    Define success. Many softwater/acidic loving species can be acclimatized to harder water. They'll just not live that long.

The video shows an aqua scape with some cardinals added to spicen it up. Quick look tells me that's not going to be that much, about 60 I'd say, certianly not more than 100.

A 180g could easily house a group of 6 discus and some cardinals, say 50 or so. Add two dozen cories and you'd have a nice looking setup.

0 Not allowed!
    My Ph is also 7.6 And I Have kept rummynose with good color and no issues.. except that my bigger angels would stalk them on occasion due to their snack potential when smaller.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.