· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default 30 gallon ram/angel

0 Not allowed!
    I am getting my 30 gallon tank a little later than expected, but it should be set up in the next two weeks, I would like to keep a pair of Bolivian rams, and a pair of angels. The tank will be heavily planted and I was curiouse if this setup could work. There would be about 5 cories, and mayb a small school of tetras as well. What are you're thoughts and opinions?

0 Not allowed!
    While I can't tell you about the compatibility between the rams & angels, I will tell you that from what I've learned here, a 30gal won't be large enough for 2 angels (I've read that 29gal is minimum size for ONE angel) and...2 angels are only good together if they are a mated pair.

That would also be a lotta fish for a tank that size, considering how large angels get eventually.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yea, 30gallons would not work for all those fish.

look at some youtube videos to see how big angels really get. it surprises people on their size.

but in 30gallons-do either the 1 angel
    OR
    2 bolivian rams.

they do get along, but 30gallons, plus cory's plus tetra's is too tight for them to coexist

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by esr209 View Post
    I would like to keep a pair of Bolivian rams, and a pair of angels. The tank will be heavily planted and I was curiouse if this setup could work. What are you're thoughts and opinions?
    No, It will not work for exactly the reasons stated above, I had 5 angels in a 90 and reduced the cover due to some massive plant pruning and one of them got killed.

Even a mated pair of angels in a 30 has risk potential, I had a long term mated pair go from paradise to bloodbath literally overnight in a 30.. He killed her.

The problem is that cichlids are territorial and in a 30g tank if one angel decides that THIS is mine... There is literally nowhere for the other one to go that is 'outside' of the claimed territory.

This never ends well.

Just two personal examples IME of why a pair or all of the above is not the route to go. Get the rams or a solo angel if those are your choices
    Last edited by Goes to 11!; 04-14-2013 at 02:43 PM.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Alright, thanks guys, its kind of dissapointing to hear, but I wouldbt risk any fish, or stress anybody out on purpose so I guess I ll just have to change my plans around

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 
    You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz 
    for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook 
    beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    You could have a couple schools of tetra and the corys, OR a couple bolivian rams with the tetra, but I would leave the angels out. In my opinion a 29/30 gallon tank is not big enough for even one adult angelfish. I'm not sure about the compatibility with the bolivians, but a dwarf gourami would work with a school of tetra and the corys.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.