· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default 13 ish year old bucktooth tetra just about had it.

0 Not allowed!
    image.jpg

Started at 12 of them and at about 11 years old they slowly started dieing off one by one. This little guy is the last one and recently he got a bump on his side which has now exploded and now he has a gaping hole on his side. He is still eating and is still active. Tuff little buggers these guys are. I would highly recommend bucktooths they are a beautiful and exciting fish. I am wondering if I should let nature take its course with him or if I should do something about it? Thoughts? Also not sure if I might take a break from fish keeping for a while or if not anyone have any suggestions of a new set up? I guess I should get all new equipment and gravel as it is all pretty much the same stuff from day one. Thanks all.

0 Not allowed!
    what are your reading? maybe they are dying because of some thing in your water. especially if they are dying at the same time. check your readings. if there is nothing in your water, you can't stop old age

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I really think it is just old age. From what I understand 10 to 11 years is about the life span of these guys. I am pretty sure if I pulled out the test kits I wouldn't find anything. Truthfully he looks like he has cataracts, the old man lol.

0 Not allowed!
    it won't hurt to check but i am pretty confident that it's old age. i would still check though

0 Not allowed!
    13 years is a very respectable age for a fish like that. This is Exodon paradoxus?

This is not a community fish, and is best kept in a species setup. It will relentlessly attack any silver-coloured or shiny tankmates, stripping them of scales and fins very quickly. Even larger, predatory species are not safe. Scaleless and non-reflective fish are generally left alone. Success has been had keeping Exodon alongside various loaches, Loricariids and some larger characins such as Anostomus. The situation will always be somewhat unpredictable though. It’s best to add the Exodon last as they may see any new additions as food, and as with most predatory species they tend to bite first and ask questions later.
    http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/exodon-paradoxus/

I think I'll pass on them, thank you!

I don't see why you should get all new equipment if you want to continue in the hobby. I can do you a ton of suggestions but without knowing a bit about the tank and your water it's going be rather pointless.If the tank is empty and you're making up your mind just put in a shrimp or two in a net to keep the filter ticking over.

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 
    Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady for the thing in your signature about saandy hook, i was in elementary during that time. - aquariumlover10 Thanks for the bucks!! - SeaLady 
    No Message - RiversGirl New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! - Taurus TGIF! - Taurus 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Yes! TGIF - Compass TGIF Back at brother. ;-) - Taurus It's almost beer:30. - Taurus Here's a neon :) - rebecca_finny 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds like your fish has lived a full life, thirteen years wow!!
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

“Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.” ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

Awards Showcase

No Message - Ms. Namazu starting the round off - Hardy85 The more the merrier...cheers! - Slaphppy7 I are as drunk are not I think are you. - Sandz fishies - Hardy85 
    The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz This round's on me... - Slaphppy7 For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA cheers man - mojosodope 
    Heck, it's 5 o' clock somewhere... - Slaphppy7 Everyone loves pie. - Honey Badger 1 Nice work my friend - Honey Badger 1 nice work! have a beer! - Crispy lol, someone had to say it. - KevinVA 
    Thanks for the rep, and for all your help! - wgoldfarb Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - mommy1 Hey Longshot, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    I would certainly venture to say that you have done the right thing by that critter, 13 years would be an incredible fluke in a nasty tank. Good on you!
    When in d0ubt read it until it makes sense, then read it again!

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yes it is Exodon Paradoxus. I did successfully keep a red tailed shark with him for quite a few years. They are also good with Pictus cats. They are not a community fish however. They are beautiful and highly active, cool to watch and feeding time I liken them to a pack of wolves feeding frenzy. I actually stared with a pack of 13 and lost one within the first 6 months. I have had the other twelve in a 54 gallon deep tank for a long time without loosing a single one. Once they hit about 11 years old I started loosing them one by one, every couple of months give or take and this one is the last one. Over the years there has definatly been a couple times where a water change was over due but definatly not super dirty. Water is about a PH of 7.5 and hardness is around 80 mg/l. I had thought of a nice African Chiclid tank over the years. Water is slightly soft for that I believe though but a proper substrate could help that I guess.
    Last edited by Mdsjohna; 04-14-2013 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Little wording

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Wow. 13 years is serious dedication.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mdsjohna View Post
    Over the years there has definatly been a couple times where a water change was over due but definatly not super dirty. Water is about a PH of 7.5 and hardness is around 80 mg/l.
    Well, since that's pretty much spot on for these... All I can say is well done!