· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Exclamation stuck with some lazy oto

0 Not allowed!
    hey guys,
    i have 2 oto in my 20 gallon. one of them just "cleans" the front of the tank and doesn't move around much. my other oto just stays in the cave i put in there. i rarely get to even see the one in the cave. while every where else in my tank my tank is growing algae. i am growing this light brown alage all over my tank. the front of the tank is clean, but on all the other glass there is alot. so i know they eat this algae. why are they being so lazy and moving? how can i get them to move?
    i can't add more oto because my stock is pretty packed.

0 Not allowed!
    Why not take care of the algae yourself? Oto do eat algae but are never a substitute for proper housekeeping

0 Not allowed!
    your otos remind me alot of my own. except that I have 7 and not 2. they also love pirating
    pellets from the cories and rams. I can think of several explanations

1. they find enough algae on their little patch so they don't have to keep moving
    2. the algae isn't of the type they prefer to eat.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    Why not take care of the algae yourself? Oto do eat algae but are never a substitute for proper housekeeping
    yea i know, every week or so i clean as much algae as possible but it grows back really fast.
    and the same kind of algae is on the front glass and he just stays there.
    anything i could
    do to get them to move around

0 Not allowed!
    I agree with the use of algae eaters in a tank. sure, no fish will eat another fish's waste, but some fish certainly eat algae.
    they can be a useful asset but a certain level of tank maintenance still is required otherwise algae will grow out of control regardless
    of algae eating fish. algae eating fish should not be used to completely control algae, rather, the aquarist cleans most of the agae/minimizes algae growth and whatever small amount algae still shows up and the aquarist can't bother with, that is the job of the "algae eater".

since the otos are eating the algae and you say that it grows really fast, I would suspect that they are finding enough food in their limited
    territories. there simply is nothing you can do to make them forage in a larger area than reducing the amount of algae so that they will have to clean more ground to get enough food.
    I would recommend looking up what type of algae you have and take up control measures against it. If it is an algae that thrives in high nutrient water, reduce feeding. if it is diatomic algae(likely due to the brown color)
    then find the source of silicates and remove or reduce it. once you have minimized the amount of algae then your otos will move around to find enough of it and will be able to catch up with it.

0 Not allowed!
    The last word of your title misidentifies the actual culprit.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    i understand that i should be removing most of it, and i have been every week.
    i am going to try to clean the whole tank with the magnet today and see if they want to help out a bit more.
    also, is there and harm if there is algae in my aquarium or does just make my tank look bad?

0 Not allowed!
    unless it is cyanobacteria(blue breen algae), which may secrete toxins, algae in a tank is
    only a problem fro the aquarist. fish don't care about it.

0 Not allowed!
    nope no cyanobacteria
    thank you

0 Not allowed!
    Algae can actually be helpful, as it acts as a filter for your ammonia/nitrates, acts as a food for several fish and inverts, and can provide a breeding ground for some fish. It's unfortunate that it usually looks unseemly, especially when you're trying to make a tank look a specific way and enjoy clear glass. ;P
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.