· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Has anyone bred lemon tetras here? or other similiar species?

0 Not allowed!
    I've witnessed mating behavior (it matches videos online) and never thought I'd actually see eggs but alas I did; a bunch of pinhead or so sized eggs scattered in the tank most got eaten or sucked up by me not thinking and the few left I doubt will hatch. I have a 29g planted and the only other fish are sterbas and a few MTS so it has to be lemon tetra eggs I took one out and their opaque gel balls. if anyone has any idea what else they could be I'm all ears I didn't see the fish actually drop the eggs just mating behavior.

I religiously change half the tank water on all my tanks twice a week I always did and noticed my silver dollars use to shimmer against each other in mating behavior afterwards but I'm new to tetras. I've seen similar behavior of egg scattering in my silver dollars in my 75g but there were so many predatory fish none lasted long.

ATM I can't have another tank but I could use a Rubbermaid container to raise them but I've never even tried to do it before any advice if I see more eggs on how to raise them? I'm not really setup to breed fish in my little apartment but I'd give it a shot.

0 Not allowed!
    Mine are like your's and spawn every couple of says or so. I've never made an effort to try and save the eggs however.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Me neither I was just surprised they bred so soon. I do kinda wanna try to raise a few more though maybe get a little Tupperware tank and try; I just never did it before.
    Long time fish keeper most experience with CA/SA cichlids, natives like sunfish, and aggressive catfish.
    Currently have a 29g planted with 14 candy cane tetras, 6 sterbai corys, 6 melini corys, a roided out tiger angelfish and 1 mustache wearing albino longfin pleco.
    Oh and they all get along amazingly!!! went through 4 BN plecos and 2 angelfish until I got ones with the right temperament but it's the most mellow tank now.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Merry Christmas buddy! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 
    Merry Christmas Sandz! - Taurus Happy birthday buddy! - KevinVA Happy B-day!! - steeler1 Happy Bday bud!!! - Hardy85 Have a little cake and ..... - fishmommie 
    .... beer.  Hope it was a good one. - fishmommie Happy Birthday!  Enjoy! - jeffs99dime I'll drink to that! - steeler1 Enjoy! - Hardy85 This one's on me... - Slaphppy7 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    I have heard of them breeding great in discus tanks on a common basis. They breed so often it makes up for mortality over time.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    A bit of java moss or a tightly built bottom spawning mop, collect the eggs by pulling the mop or the moss very gently. Place into a small aquarium with an air stone and well aged water and a heater. In several days you will begin seeing little slivers, at this point add a small well aged sponge filter. Sera micron works well or you can culture any of the many small live foods. A couple of days and they move up to baby brine shrimp and then on to flake. If you had a big tank and wanted large schools of a certain species buying 6 or so and breeding them is always the best way to go. I had a client who wanted several hundred for a very large tank and made some for him over the course of a couple of months. The display was very pretty with all of the little lemon tetras, we introduced them at around an inch in length.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It seems like my lemon tetras are like steeler1's they dropped more eggs it seems to happen after I do my water changes; I got eggs all over the place right now I'd imagine my corys are eating them as I type this.

I might see about getting setup to raise them in a Rubbermaid container if my LFS will buy them; I could probably keep 5 more in my 29g but I just can't have as many tanks as before I'm lucky I have a 29g; the lease says 5g only pfft. I had over 200 gallons of tanks at one time I kind of miss the freedom of QT tanks and having diff. bio-types in each tank and all the different fish. Though I have to say I really like my lemons and sterbas hopefully I get a cool GBR and pleco down the line.
    Long time fish keeper most experience with CA/SA cichlids, natives like sunfish, and aggressive catfish.
    Currently have a 29g planted with 14 candy cane tetras, 6 sterbai corys, 6 melini corys, a roided out tiger angelfish and 1 mustache wearing albino longfin pleco.
    Oh and they all get along amazingly!!! went through 4 BN plecos and 2 angelfish until I got ones with the right temperament but it's the most mellow tank now.

0 Not allowed!
    I haven't breed lemons but they should be just as easy as the other tetra's (other than cardinals or neons.) Put a pair in a tank by themselves in the evening and they will spawn on a tall plant. As soon as they are done spawning, remove the adults again. It will take them a few hours.

A sponge filter will be needed.