· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Micro Fish and One More Question

0 Not allowed!
    Two things:

First off, I am looking for a micro fish that could go with my red cherry shrimp tank. I don't mind if a few shrimp babies get eaten, but don't want something that could take by whole group out lol.

Looking for something colorful and somewhat active. I have a 10g planted tank with a 10-15 gallon filter on it (if this has to go up, I have a second one I could add, but would need to find an impeller)

Second Question: (This is just in its earliest planning stages therefore I don't want to start a journal and tease anyone)

I am planning what will be a planted 175 or 155 bowfront tank. Would probably do either a sump filter or a Fx5 and aquaclear filter combo. I think I would like a SA tank (plants and fish)

My current stocking ideas are:
    8 Bolivian Rams
    25 Rummynose
    15 Marbel Hatchets
    10 Oto
    10-15 Cory (Peppered or Sterbai)

Maybe a school of pencil fish, but wondering what a good center piece fish for a tank like this could be.
    The Dirty 75
    11 Parva Rainbow, 2 Platies, 14 Sterbai, 4 Calico BN Pleco
    My Triple 10 Stack
    My First AC Thread

Awards Showcase

No Message - talldutchie Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 This Holiday Swine hopes your 2014 will be simply divine! - Trillianne Thanks again for your help yesterday - Slaphppy7 
    Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year Mommy1. - Strider199 Cheers.  Have some of my hang-over cure. Happy New Year - Cliff Happy New Year! - KingFisher Happy Birthday. - Taurus 
    Happy Birthday. - gadget228 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Looks like its time for a second cup! - Trillianne always fun - Surfdog thanks for sweetening the pot! - fishmommie 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 for putting up with my bad timing - Cliff Congrats on MOTM. - gadget228 For most awesome avatar of the day. lol  Love it. - KevinVA Thank you so much for the Rep!! - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    I love "micro-fish" and have been planning to convert my 29g just for them for quite some time now. The one's I have considered are, boraras brigittae, boraras maculata, danio margaritatus, danio erythromicron, and sundadanio axelrodi.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

0 Not allowed!
    My top three choices right now are the Phoenix Rasbora (Boraras merah), the Brigittae and then the maculata.

I gotta find a place where I can get a school for a decent price. Do these guys put much bio-load out? Or do you think the 10-15 filter will work. I also will probably up the temp of the tank a little (its at 72 right now)

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/boraras-brigittae/

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/boraras-merah/

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/boraras-maculatus/
    Last edited by Triton; 04-12-2013 at 01:02 PM.
    The Dirty 75
    My Triple 10 Stack
    My First AC Thread

Awards Showcase

No Message - talldutchie Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 This Holiday Swine hopes your 2014 will be simply divine! - Trillianne Thanks again for your help yesterday - Slaphppy7 
    Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year Mommy1. - Strider199 Cheers.  Have some of my hang-over cure. Happy New Year - Cliff Happy New Year! - KingFisher Happy Birthday. - Taurus 
    Happy Birthday. - gadget228 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Looks like its time for a second cup! - Trillianne always fun - Surfdog thanks for sweetening the pot! - fishmommie 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 for putting up with my bad timing - Cliff Congrats on MOTM. - gadget228 For most awesome avatar of the day. lol  Love it. - KevinVA Thank you so much for the Rep!! - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    My opinion is the more filtration the better and it's always a good idea to run two filters on a tank. However, these fish don't have a huge bio-load and if you stock lightly a filter rated for 15 gallons on a 10 gallon tank should be ok, but honestly, I would still put another on just to be safe.
    These fish are not easy to find, at least not where I live, I can find the danio margaritatus fairly easy but the others not so much. Try looking on aquabid, once the weather settles down that is probably your best option.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

0 Not allowed!
    Boraras like to use more swimming space than you'd give them credit for by their small size. My dad has 10 of these now in my old tank and they're all over that 60cm.
    Ember tetra might actually be a better option, they seem to deal better with smaller tanks. Both these and the boraras family (well, at least brigittae and merah) will appreciate a well planted tank and some tannin in the water. None of these likes a lot of flow.

Another option you could consider are some of the smaller fish in the Oryzias family.

A challenge that you may encounter with all of these is that it's not easy to find out what you're doing wrong and in a shrimp tank you will not even find any bodies of dead fish.

0 Not allowed!
    Not a fan of the Oryzias from what I was just able to find in a quick google, but I did like the ember tetras.

The picture shows the tank about a month ago, the dwarf sag has spread, same with the vals. I added a little guppy grass as a floating plant. The Phoenix moss has taken off well too.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The Dirty 75
    My Triple 10 Stack
    My First AC Thread

0 Not allowed!
    For the shrimp tank I like keeping boraras maculatus, boraras merah and boraras brigittae in with them. These are small fish under an inch in size. Colorful active fish. The funny thing is even with a dozen in a 10g, the 10g looks empty.

0 Not allowed!
    Yea its narrowed down to those 3 types or ember tetras. I like the colors on all of them (at least from pictures online)

Its a matter of what I can get my hands on.
    The Dirty 75
    My Triple 10 Stack
    My First AC Thread

0 Not allowed!
    Nice shape on that 10g, not bad for swimming space it seems.

Brigittae can be eye-watering bright red if they're happy.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    Nice shape on that 10g, not bad for swimming space it seems.

Brigittae can be eye-watering bright red if they're happy.

Thank you, and ideally I will want them happy :)

My pH is a bit out of the range stated on seriousfish, It says 5-7, and I'm at about 7.6. Would probably feed a mix flake along with some beef heart flake. Would like 10 be ok, and do you think it would throw my cycle off? I haven't had any issues that I've seen, but it only has shrimp currently (About 40-50)
    The Dirty 75
    My Triple 10 Stack
    My First AC Thread