· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Possible Hybrid: Sunfish + Sailfin Molly

0 Not allowed!
    I caught a fish with a butterfly net in my local pond in some shallow water. It looks like this:

Could it be a hybrid sailfin molly? There are bass, carp, minnows, sunfish, bluegills, etc. in the pond.
    10 Gallon: 5 Peppered Corys | Pool Filter Sand | x2 AquaTech 5-15 Power Filter | 2 plastic plants

0 Not allowed!
    That is what a regular wild molly looks like. It is no hybrid.

Liters to Gallons conversion calculator

"Keeping fish for any period of time doesn't make you experienced if you're doing it wrong. What does, is acknowledging those mistakes and learning from them." ~Aeonflame
    "
    your argument is invalid." ~Mommy1

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So there's wild mollies in my nearby pond? WOW!
    10 Gallon: 5 Peppered Corys | Pool Filter Sand | x2 AquaTech 5-15 Power Filter | 2 plastic plants

0 Not allowed!
    They were probably released in there by someone with a fish tank at one time and reproduced.

"Keeping fish for any period of time doesn't make you experienced if you're doing it wrong. What does, is acknowledging those mistakes and learning from them." ~Aeonflame
    "

0 Not allowed!
    and eventually reverted back to wild colors, or maybe they already looked like that when they were released.

PS: hybridization occurs only with very closely related species, such as between two species in the same genus, or rarely in the same family.
    thus, mollies will not be able to hybridize with any of the other mentioned fish because they are too distantly related.
    in the case that fish could hybridize freely the fish farming industry would have a field day.

I can picture a tank full of manacapuru coryminnows swimming amongst rainbow hatchetguppies and electric blue bassplecos.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KingFisher View Post
    They were probably released in there by someone with a fish tank at one time and reproduced.
    depending on where the OP lives, they could be in their natural environment.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jaysee View Post
    depending on where the OP lives, they could be in their natural environment.
    True, they are found in the United States from North Carolina to Texas.

"

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    @jaysee - I do live in Texas, near Houston.

Awards Showcase

Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 
    Merry Christmas - steeler58 Here's to the holidays! - Slaphppy7 Happy holidays! - rebecca_finny Merry Christmas (Santa Loves Pie) ;-) - Taurus Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    That is cool that you found that fish. I like those and I like the AMerican Flag Fish.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 
    thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny TGIF! - showmebutterfly 
    Thanks for your help & points. - metweezer Nice to see you around again. enjoy the pie - fishmommie Thanks! :) I try! - Compass Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Thanks so much for everything. - metweezer 

0 Not allowed!
    I don't know about Houston, but I live about 2.5 hours south of you and those fish are in every lake, river, stream, and creek around here.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.