· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Established tank gone into mini cycle!

0 Not allowed!
    Absoloute idiot that i am i was doing the water change and somehow forgot the dechlorinator!,
    so My tanks gone into a mini cycle shooting the ammonia up and nitrates !

Ive never dealt with this before do i do a water change to drop it down to 0ppm again?

0 Not allowed!
    Ouch, sorry to hear about the bad luck

Yes, complete water changes when ever your ammonia and/or nitrites hit 0.5ppm (or more) and change enough water to lower it back down to 0.25ppm. For example, if either your ammonia or nitrites hit 1.0ppm, you will need to do a 75% water change to bring it back down to 0.25 ppm. You should approach this like you would when you are cycling with fish

Hopefully a good amount of your bacteria survived and this will be short lived
    Last edited by Cliff; 04-11-2013 at 10:17 AM.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks ill do a 75% as the ammonia has shot to 1.5ppm guessing thats down to the stress of the rummy noses who have also decided that Ich is a good idea..
    I never have these issues with my tank.. Really kicking myself!

0 Not allowed!
    That sounds like a good idea

I would also suggest testing the level about 1/2 hour after the water change just to make sure you have lowered the levels enough

Once you have the levels in the safe range, daily testing should be good enough until your bacteria has grown back. Do not feel too bad about making a simple mistake, we have all made mistakes and have learned from them as well.

Keep us posted on your progress
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Wishing i had a long hose right now im back and forth with buckets.
    :( - the woes of a fish mumma

0 Not allowed!
    OUCH. Surprised you have any fish living, really. It's not like they do well swimming in chlorine. Looks like you caught it but accidents happen so don't kick yourself too much. Your feet will be busy enough walking back and forth with water buckets.

I don't know what size tank you have but anything over 40 gallons really requires a python water changer to help ease those water changes. Always add the dechlorinator to the water first before filling and you will prevent forgetting it.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    55gallons of tank, by gum i ache this morning.
    Must invest in a Python waterchanger thingy..

The tanks readings are ok this morning but a little cloudy :/

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds like a bacteria bloom, which is a good sign right now as that is a indication that your tank is going through the cycling process.

I'm sure your fish are grateful for all of your hard work to keep the water safe for them

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    found my syno Dead thismorning, hadnt seen him in a day or two don't know if he was the cause or victim of the ammonia spike. the Rummynoses Seem to be ichless this morning after a night at 30c.
    Everyones schooling around nicely, going to check the water again in an hour or three, got stinking flu and barely move, but for now we are all swimming and look happy.