· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Leopard Pleco

1. Default Leopard Pleco

0 Not allowed!
    I got a 405 litre tank last year but I've only had 3 three spot gouramis in it so far. I recently got myself a Leopard Pleco. I had a short list of fish in mind and wanted to see them in the flesh before I made my final decision. Unfortunately, being the idiot that I am, I got my facts confused when choosing and have now discovered my pleco is likely to reach 18-20". I'm concerned for the fish's health as it grows, right now he's about 4 or 5". Would those with more experience advise against a fish of that (full) size in a tank that's about 5 feet long?

This is my 2nd tank. I began with a 60 litre about a year ago and found myself obsessed. I've had little to no problems with the smaller tank or the fish in it. Though I generally research the fish I want before hand, I've had a hard time settling on the pleco I like best and ended up making a rash decision on the day of buying after months of umming and ahhing.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance for your time.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It still depends on width and depth of the tank but a 5ft long tank should be ok, if other dimensions are suitable, you would probably want equal height width, or slightly wider. Keep in mind it will take some time to reach such a big size, and someone like you who obviously cares about the fish and understands it's needs is likely to upgrade the tank if you see and health issues due to cramping.

On a side note but how are the spot's going female to male ratio, if there are 2 males you might have issues, if it't any other combination you may be ok.
    6ft Australian Fresh water turtle tank - 2 macleay river turtles, numerous guppy at varying stages of development.

5ft 150gal planted discus tank - 8 discus, 10 cardinal tetras, 10 rummnose, 6 albino cories, and breeding RCS in tank sump and just about everywhere everything done from scratch, filtration and stand tank
    journal @
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=101658

0 Not allowed!
    Planetcat lists it as 45cm, assuming you mean Pterygoplichthys gibbiceps. That's another tankbuster that really shouldn't be in the trade.

If it can turn in your tank then it's sort of ok. A problem you will need to face is that this is a very messy fish. It can poop an amazing amount and is quite likely to accidently move tank decor. I'm not sure if your discus can deal with those factors.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the replies.

Yeah it's Pterygoplichthys gibbiceps.

To be honest I'm feeling pretty foolish for buying him without going home and doing some proper research first. The place I got him has always been good in the past, the owner put me off several fish I was interested in for my little tank due to the size they would reach so I guess I'd built up a degree of trust in the place. Right now, with him only being a little guy, I'm more concerned with the level of waste he's going to produce. Upgrading to a bigger tank at some point is an inevitability really, fish keeping is fast becoming a passion for me.

The 3 spots are 1 male and 2 female, though I'm thinking of getting 2 or 3 more females.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    Planetcat lists it as 45cm, assuming you mean Pterygoplichthys gibbiceps. That's another tankbuster that really shouldn't be in the trade.

If it can turn in your tank then it's sort of ok. A problem you will need to face is that this is a very messy fish. It can poop an amazing amount and is quite likely to accidently move tank decor. I'm not sure if your discus can deal with those factors.
    Discus ????

Good idea with the gourmai I had a male that wood completely stress the 2 females i had until i rehomed him they can get quite mean if they are ready and the female isn't
    6ft Australian Fresh water turtle tank - 2 macleay river turtles, numerous guppy at varying stages of development.

5ft 150gal planted discus tank - 8 discus, 10 cardinal tetras, 10 rummnose, 6 albino cories, and breeding RCS in tank sump and just about everywhere everything done from scratch, filtration and stand tank
    journal @
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=101658

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by waack View Post
    Discus ????
    My mistake, I read your sig and somehow thought it was Cetus'

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Merry Christmas buddy! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Merry Christmas Sandz! - Taurus 
    Happy birthday buddy! - KevinVA Happy B-day!! - steeler1 Happy Bday bud!!! - Hardy85 Have a little cake and ..... - fishmommie .... beer.  Hope it was a good one. - fishmommie 
    Happy Birthday!  Enjoy! - jeffs99dime I'll drink to that! - steeler1 Enjoy! - Hardy85 This one's on me... - Slaphppy7 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Over time you may want to find the Pleco a nice home in someone's or even your own pond. They are great outdoor/indoor pond fish.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

8. Red face

0 Not allowed!
    I had no idea they could be kept in a pond. I've been toying with the idea of digging one out but I should imagine the Scottish weather won't be too good for him. He seems pretty content for the moment hiding in my driftwood but I'll definitely be looking into bigger tanks/future re-homing options. At the very least I've learned a very valuable lesson, you can never do too much research before you buy! Thanks for all the advice, I do feel rather better about the situation than I did before.

edit; The comment about the Discus was helpful regardless as I was considering getting 2 or 3 in the future.
    Last edited by Cetus; 04-11-2013 at 07:57 PM.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Merry Christmas buddy! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Merry Christmas Sandz! - Taurus 
    Happy birthday buddy! - KevinVA Happy B-day!! - steeler1 Happy Bday bud!!! - Hardy85 Have a little cake and ..... - fishmommie .... beer.  Hope it was a good one. - fishmommie 
    Happy Birthday!  Enjoy! - jeffs99dime I'll drink to that! - steeler1 Enjoy! - Hardy85 This one's on me... - Slaphppy7 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    You might be right on the pond and the weather. You have some detailed options on warming water and all that but thats all in time...

When you get into discus lets talk... you are going to want 6+ as a school or a mated pair of 2.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's