· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default new 125 lighting

0 Not allowed!
    i just got a great deal on a used 125 gallon tank,it came with a 72 inch double bulb t8 light strip which i know is not going to be enough light for
    my plants
    my question is,i have a cheap 48" odessey t5ho quad light fixture that i can use but im thinking it would make the ends of the tank dark
    should i add a second 24" quad to make up the difference or should i go with 2 new 36" t5's
    this will be a high light,co2 injected tank
    what about led's? never have tried them,but i have read up on them
    my budget is about 200.00
    i've also read about people scrapping out the guts of strip lights and installing spiral cfl's,if i decide to go this route anyone have any
    ideas about how many bulbs and watts?
    i'm upgrading my 75 gallon heavily planted cichlid tank and im looking for some ideas to try and save some money

0 Not allowed!
    Any advice I may give would first depend on the type of set-up or type of plants that you want. Are you aiming for a low tech set-up with low demanding plants, or a high tech set-up with high demanding plants ?

For your budget you might want to just stick with a low tech set-up
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i already have the gas bottle and regulator and already have a 48" t5ho light (cheap odessy)
    mostly i'll be transplanting my plants from my 75 to my new 125,crypts,anubia's,giant hygros,amazon swords,red ludwigia,
    corkscrew vals and some cabombas
    what i was asking about was the dead spots on the ends of the 125 if i only use the 48" light its a quad 54 watt bulb
    for 216 total
    i only have 200.00 in my budget and i need a lot of other things for this tank so im considering all my options
    a new cheap 24" odessy quad is around 90.00 whereas i can get 2 36" double bulb coralife fixtures for about 45.00
    each, you'd have 72"'s of light but only dual bulbs
    i've read about gutting strip lights and using spiral cfl's (maybe another option) would be cheap but i wouldnt know
    how many bulbs to go with letalone wattages and also what about the heat?
    any info is appreciated,thanks

0 Not allowed!
    Compare the reflectors of the 36" fixtures with what you currently have [and the 24" unit].

The reflectors are where the real difference lies in lower cost lighting. Good lighting will often have individual reflectors per bulb.

Considering you are going high tech you may just want to go with the quad units.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to the above

If you are going to have a more high-tech set-up with CO2, you would most likely want 4 bulbs of T5HO across the whole length of the tank

If money if tight, you could try to see if you can get a good quality used fixture
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    tanks for the advice all
    i was thinking that the 24" quad was the way to go too,but if i buy used or go cheap(odessy) i'll have to figure in the cost of new bulbs too especially with the odessy as their bulbs are junk
    i'll probably go with the odessy and limp it along till i have the cash for new bulbs as i have alot of things to buy for this tank (eco,heaters,egg crate,new filter hoses,etc)
    thanks all