· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Looking for a dwarf cichlid

0 Not allowed!
    I've got 11 blood fins in a my 20 gallon tall and I'm looking at adding a dwarf cichlid. The tank is has been set up for about 3 months now with a ph steady at 7.8 (jumps to 8.2 right after water changes for some reason just found out after one my fish died still working to solve the issue). I just have a couple of questions; is a 20 gallon enough room, I'm using eco-complete as my substrate will this work with their digging, and how many do you think I could add? Based on research I think that I only have room for 1 but I think this would be ok right?
    20 gallon tall: empty
    29 gallon: moderately planted with 9 bloodfin tetra, 1 german blue ram, 11 glow light tetra and 1 BNP
    10 gallon QT: empty

Awards Showcase

My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus 
    Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 
    for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    You would be fine after you figure the source of your death. I am sure the ph comes from the non aged water. It happens. 20 gal is fine but I would agree with only 1 if its a GBR unless you could get a mated pair, 2 if its an Appistograma (1m/1f)... you could even do 2 or 3 females as they are harem breeders. What dwarf did you have in mind?
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The ph was the only cause of death I can pin point. It jumps from 7.8 for aged water to 8.2 or 8.4 right after I do a W/C then goes back to 7.8 in under a hour. I think the rapid change in a short time frame stressed it out and thats what led to its death. Any ideas on how to avoid this? I was looking at Bolivians as they seem to be the hardiest.
    29 gallon: moderately planted with 9 bloodfin tetra, 1 german blue ram, 11 glow light tetra and 1 BNP

0 Not allowed!
    Have you tried letting the water sit for some time? A ph swing of .5 in a very short timespan is indeed stressful.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'd do that but I'd use a bucket and that would disrupt the plants and substrate. If there is a way to use my python I would rather do that.

Awards Showcase

My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus 
    Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 
    for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    There really isnt. I use a python too.. My discus handle it fine but what happens with aged water is the gasses that are in our tap water leave it along with everything in the water its self settle down. Its usually recommended to let the water sit for a day or so in a trash barrel with discus but you dont have anything near that sensitive. Have you check at your local water supply to see if they added a high dose of something new? CHlorine gas sometimes has an affect on the water chemestry.

To avoid the issue in the future, lessen the % of water changed and do the change more often.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandz View Post

To avoid the issue in the future, lessen the % of water changed and do the change more often.
    Brilliant in it's simplicity. As to the bucket thing, scoop and gently let it flow in. I use an old liter measuring jug for that.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks guys! I'll check my water supply and see if theres something there. In the mean time I'll use the method described by talldutchie for W/C and do some test on my empty 29 to figure out a better W/C schedule using my python to negate the swing. Back to original subject, my plan is to add 1 Bolivian Ram these tend to stay near the bottom right? Is there anything I should scape wise to accommodate him/her?

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Bolivians will love a planted area with cave like hiding spot. Just areas where they dont feel exposed. Let them be the brave one and dont force it.