· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shidohari View Post
    Make sure to get something that has a peaceful nature (in most areas that's labeled as a type A or type B personality)

I have a dwarf gourami that is in a ten gallon with one mystery snail and one nerite snail and he's the most chill fish that i've ever seen. I would hate to lose my Blurr.

I'm sure you'll figure it out, just make sure if you go with the larger tetras you account for how big they will get when they mature as that may affect how much 'swim away' space he has. The gourami's are cousin's to the Betta fish, this means they are prone to be territorial as you've already found out.

Also remember most tetra's are community fish, so if you get the larger ones, you may have to do more water changes than normally would be required due to the minimum of at least 6 to make a school in any tank.

My suggestion is you leave the gourami by himself in the tank for a week or two, and maybe get a snail or two for cleanup crew if they aren't already in the tank stalking. I have one nerite snail and one mystery snail. Nerite snails won't breed in freshwater as they are normally a saltwater snail, and i have never regretted the one i've bought. The mystery snail is just the pitch hitter for cleanup, and with only one in my ten gallon they won't spawn a colony.

Good luck with your tank and keep us posted.
    Thanks!

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    good points from Shidohari

If you eventually decide to go with tetra, you could have a nice school of colombian tetrras (sometimes called red and blue tetras), some buenos aires, serpae. there are a lot of larger tetra out there - rummy's are actually pretty small. You might consider Cherry barbs. they would also make a nice school and the DW shouldn't bother them. very pretty fish.
    Do some googling for tetras and you'll find a huge variety. check their profiles for size and compatibility and I'm betting you'll come up with some good choices.

again, good luck
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I am actually going to get a second tank and start a community aquarium in there.

Please, please, please answer my question about aquarium stocking if you can! It's called: Are these good stockings? Please help! :)

Thanks!

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    First of all don't forget to do a fishless cycle. It's the only way to go if you're going to be doing a community tank.

Secondly how big is this community tank you're going to be getting? I'm assuming you're also going to be obtaining a stand for it as well?

Please advise as it will help others on here to give you stocking advise.

20 gallon tall - 3 paskai's neon red rainbow, 5 paskai's blue eyed rainbowfish, 8 harlequin rasbora, 2 blue ninja shrimp, 6 cherry shrimp, 2 nerite snail, 1 bronze cory, 1 peppered cory, 1 julii cory, 2 pc driftwood planted with anubias and narrowleaf java fern.
    Other plants in tank - 1 bunch anacharis, 1 bunch water wysteria, 1 package of B. Caroliniana, 1 Crypto Luten, 1 red wendii, Mossball.
    Cinnamon = 9 year old Siamese Cat[
    1 Rat - Domino aka Domi
    1 Robo hamster - Spice

0 Not allowed!
    That's good then! I was getting ready to say that it's a bit questionable to have a Gourami in a tank that small with tanke mates. At least that's what I was told on the forum here.

I know that when I had my DG, he used the entire 55g I had him in and he was VERY active.
    130g: 4 Angelfish, 2 Roseline Sharks, 2 Conga Tetras, 5 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora