· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Stocking Melanotaenia in a 55g

0 Not allowed!
    OK, kids, here's my latest question.

I have a 55g community tank. Currently weirdly (but pleasingly and healthily) stocked as a community tank which I have been thinking of evolving toward an Asia region tank. The key word there being "evolving," mostly because I like my current fish and, barring something drastic, will probably let most of them live out their lives before replacing them.

I have a small school of five turquoise rainbows, two males and three females. They are about two-three years old, lovely colored and appear to be healthy--they even spawn occasionally. The only indication of any problem is that they have not reached their full size. I have been told that a 55 is too small for TRs; the excepted wisdom seems to be that a 55 is acceptable but probably the minimum. I hope that is the case because there is no chance of re-housing them in larger quarters at this point.

Lately, I am considering going a different direction, evolving my tank toward an all (or mostly) rainbow tank. I'm talking the Melanotaenia types--I don't much care for the looks of blue eyes, thread fins, et al.

So, what's the lowdown on Melanotaenia in 55g? Assuming I found new homes for all my current critters except a couple of my bottom feeders, would it be realistic to add some other types? The obvious choice is a school of praecox. But I really, really like boesemans (though I have no idea how to say it), red Irians, and some of the more colorful Australian types.

Seems to me the trouble would be that they do best in schools, both aesthetically and for their own health. Adding six or more of a couple different varieties would leave my tank seriously overstocked. Adding only one variety (or simply building a big school of Turquoise) would make more sense health wise, but wouldn't look as pretty--I like having fish of contrasting colors. But I think a smallish school or boesmans or Irians would do the trick aesthetically.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Just kicking it around right now. I especially prefer to hear from people with personal experience. Thanks!

Tom
    My computer beat me at chess, but it proved no match for me at kickboxing.

www.whistlingbadger.com

0 Not allowed!
    I said this in your other thread, but for the benefit of others who may just be reading.... I feel that in conjunction with their activity level, the larger rainbows that you have mentioned from too large or a 55. I grew mine out in a 4 foot tank, but once I moved them to a 6 foot tank, it became quite apparent that the 4 was too small. I have no doubt that many others will say its fine - I thought it was fine too, until I moved them.
    125 - BGK, pictus cats, silver dollars, kissing gouramis, palmas bichir, delhezi bichir
    125 - Red severum, bolivian rams, Turquoise rainbows, irian red rainbows, loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis
    90 - Congo tetras, african knife, elephant nose, spotted ctenopoma, upside down cats

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I agree with jaysee, rainbows love a long tank, I often find my 5ft is too short for them. Unless you're trying to breed them you should really house them in at least a 6ft tank IMO.

0 Not allowed!
    Auto correct got me - I meant grow, not from :)

Dwarf neon rainbows and machallochis rainbows are a better size match for a 55 gallon tank.
    125 - BGK, pictus cats, silver dollars, kissing gouramis, palmas bichir, delhezi bichir
    125 - Red severum, bolivian rams, Turquoise rainbows, irian red rainbows, loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis
    90 - Congo tetras, african knife, elephant nose, spotted ctenopoma, upside down cats

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yep, that's what I expected to hear. Jaysee, what are machallochis? I'm not familiar, and nothing is coming up on google search.

T
    My computer beat me at chess, but it proved no match for me at kickboxing.

www.whistlingbadger.com

Awards Showcase

Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass Beer reduces kidney stones! - Sandz T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx. Have another on me! - pRED Enjoy the 4th brother :-) - Taurus 
    Bleeding blues! - RiversGirl TGIF and here's to the bleeding blues Lee. - Taurus This one's on me.... - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady 
    the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 
    Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady for the thing in your signature about saandy hook, i was in elementary during that time. - aquariumlover10 Thanks for the bucks!! - SeaLady 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhistlingBadger View Post
    Yep, that's what I expected to hear. Jaysee, what are machallochis? I'm not familiar, and nothing is coming up on google search.

T
    The correct spelling for them is maccullochi. Besides the maccullochi and neons you could also try; Melanotaenia Parva and Pygmaea. Both stay under 3.25". Parva for being rare and endangered are easier to find than Pygmaea.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    www.rainbow-fish.org All you need to know about the rain bow. Yo.
    Last edited by Indian Woods Angels; 04-10-2013 at 06:07 PM.