· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathclaw View Post
    Pic isn't working

Ammonia is about .5 still and nitrates are creeping down to Bout 8 now so hopefully the tank cycles it all out well.

Zen tank April 5th 2013
    Ph : 8.2
    Ammonia : .50 - .70
    Nitrite : 0
    Nitrate : .0

April 7, 2013
    Ph : 7.8
    Ammonia : .5
    Nitrate : 5

April 9th
    Ammonia : 1.0
    Ph : 7.9
    Nitrate : 0

April 10th
    Nitrate : 8
    Ammonia : .5
    PH : 7.7
    Add safe start???

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    do a 50% water change asap.

fish really get stressed/harmed when ammonia goes above .25ppm.

when you add new water back in-use whatever dechlorinator that you have, and make sure the water temp is the same.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok will do. My ammonia read .5 and nitrates read 5 as of this morning.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Good for you for keeping on top of this. Keep making those water changed until you get ammonia down to .25. It may require more than 50% to do that. And it may required more than one 50% water change per day.

As I've previously stated, once you get the ammonia down to .25, test for it and nitrItes every morning BEFORE you do your water change. That will tell you the true reading.
    Any time ammonia and or nitrItes approach .50 do another 50% water change. This may be daily or every other day or every three days. You have to keep on top of it at this point in your cycle while beneficial bacteria is growing in your filter and filter media. Do NOT touch your filter or media. This is where the BB grows (not in the water). Eventually, both ammonia and nitrItes will read 0 and your tank will then be cycled.
    Then do weekly water changes of 30 - 50% - checking your water levels weekly for a few months to make sure everything is staying in balance.
    For future reference: Each time you add new fish, you have to be prepared for the possibility of a mini cycle because of the additional bioload, so keep that in mind too. And don't add any new fish until this tank is cycled and even then I'd wait another month before adding to make sure the cycle is stable
    Again - good for you for getting on top of those water changes and keep us posted on how things are going..
    Last edited by fishmommie; 04-11-2013 at 01:49 PM.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok so I measured the ammonia and all again. The ammonia still reads .5 and the nitrates are about 9 or 10 but the betta has gained A LOT of color!!!!! And all my fish look beautiful :) and the Cory's are active. And the danios are in a 25 gallon and they seem ok. I'm getting aquariuam salt over the weekend and that will help them too and today or tomorrow I'm doing another water change! (Today I'm a little stressed for time). And then the fish should be good as new :)))) thanks guys so much!!!!!

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathclaw View Post
    Ok so I measured the ammonia and all again. The ammonia still reads .5 and the nitrates are about 9 or 10 but the betta has gained A LOT of color!!!!! And all my fish look beautiful :) and the Cory's are active.
    You should do another 50% water change yet today if at all possible. Your fish are starting to look good because they ammonia is not as toxic but you are not out of the woods. .50 is still way too high!!

And the danios are in a 25 gallon and they seem ok.
    I can't remember. What did you do to cycle the 25 gal? Or is it not cycled yet? If not, check ammonia and nitrite levels every morning. Just like with your betta tank, you're going to be doing LOTS of water changes until you get your beneficial bacteria built up in your filter and filter media. Just like with your betta tank you MUST do 50% water changes ever time your ammonia and or nitrites get near .50 I don't know how many times we need to say this to make the point. Your danios are not fine. They may look fine, but you have to get the tank cycled or you'll lose them too. PLEASE read the stickie on cycling
    'm getting aquariuam salt over the weekend and that will help them too and today or tomorrow I'm doing another water change!
    No salt! that's a myth that fresh water aquariums should have salt. Generally salt is reserved for ich treatments IF you have fish that can tolerate it and then only in very small amounts.
    (Today I'm a little stressed for time). And then the fish should be good as new :))))
    Your fish are no where near as good as new. Until you get your tank cycled by doing water changes EVERY TIME ammonia and nitrites approach .50 your fish are still in danger and they could become ill very fast again and this time not survive. Pretty PLEASE read the cycling stickie so you understand what needs to happen in your tank.

thanks guys so much!!!!!
    You can thank us by doing what we have suggested that you do. :o)
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492