· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Flakes are generally awful food. I would not feed food that is 5 years old. It's probably cheap food anyway - just throw it away. Algae wafers are not necessary - corys are carnivorous, eating small worms and inverts that live on the bottom. They do not eat algae, though they may eat the wafers - hungry fish will often eat anything.

Like was said, new fish will often not eat when you first bring them home, because they are stressed. Stressed fish don't eat. Their diet ought to consist mainly of a high quality pellet food. You can add stuff here and there, but the pellets should be the staple food. NLS is widely accepted as the best food on the market. Omega-1 is pretty good too.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have Hikari tropical sinking wafers made for corys and API shrimp pellets coming Monday since the prices locally are nuts. They are eating the flake now and bloodworms but it's hard to get the bloodworms to the bottom. I was thinking maybe getting blocks of tubifex worms and tie them to the bottom before the lights go out. I also need to check my one LFS they have frozen food there so maybe I can get water fleas or something similiar as well.

I have to say I really missed out on corys all these years; I use to be all about the big aggressive cichlids but now I can see why they are so popular. Maybe it was because I hunted/fished so much and only saw small fish as bait kind of a duality with me I love animals but I also kill them for food; I use minnows as live bait for trout fishing but also love my little fish in the tank.

When I was 12-16 or so my friends would love to watch me put feeder goldfish in with my convicts/jack dempsey/pike cichlids and watch them get torn to pieces. Also when I'd be fishing I'd pickup crayfish and feed them as well as any minnows I had left alive. I know now I could of introduced parasites etc doing that but at the time I was young.

0 Not allowed!
    I understand the duality of which you speak. I am a professional fisherman - I kill fish for a living. That's what got me back into aquariums - I wanted to celebrate them living too.
    125 - BGK, pictus cats, silver dollars, kissing gouramis, palmas bichir, delhezi bichir
    125 - Red severum, bolivian rams, Turquoise rainbows, irian red rainbows, loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis
    90 - Congo tetras, african knife, elephant nose, spotted ctenopoma, upside down cats

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10

Thumbs up

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by FishGuy67 View Post
    I really wanna give em the best food possible and get these great looking fish even better looking and full grown!
    Good plan

http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-sup...d-feeders.html is also some high quality food for you to check out. I have nothing but good things to say about it.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by FishGuy67 View Post

When I was 12-16 or so my friends would love to watch me put feeder goldfish in with my convicts/jack dempsey/pike cichlids and watch them get torn to pieces..
    And your parents allowed that?

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    And your parents allowed that?
    That's not universally frowned upon. Judging by the huge amounts of feeders fish stores go through, it's likely a minority view that its "bad".
    125 - BGK, pictus cats, silver dollars, kissing gouramis, palmas bichir, delhezi bichir
    125 - Red severum, bolivian rams, Turquoise rainbows, irian red rainbows, loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis
    90 - Congo tetras, african knife, elephant nose, spotted ctenopoma, upside down cats

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jaysee View Post
    That's not universally frowned upon. Judging by the huge amounts of feeders fish stores go through, it's likely a minority view that its "bad".
    LOL - 'Whoosh'

I suspect dutchie referred to the very apparent 'entertainment for children aspect' of your specific example and not the topic of feeding live in general.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Goes to 11! View Post
    LOL - 'Whoosh'

I suspect dutchie referred to the very apparent 'entertainment for children aspect' of your specific example and not the topic of feeding live in general.
    It wasn't my example. But no, I totally got the whole "bad parenting" innuendo. I just think its out of line.

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    My parents let me do anything I wanted at the time; I recall my mom freaking out when a crayfish got out and she thought it was a scorpion in PA lol. At the time I had friends that loved to watch the little fish get eaten they would even catch little crayfish while fishing and any live minnows left for them to watch em get eaten. Besides the parasite angle I don't see the cruelty aspect of it; it goes on in nature all the time. I no longer do it; I just got frozen bloodworms and frozen brine shrime and the sterba and lemon tetra go nuts over them.

I also have a 14 year old ball python I feed small rats or mice so tell me how much more cruel is that than what I use to do? It just strikes me as the natural order of things despite the risk of parasites etc I shouldn't of took.

I also caught and kept snapping turtles and copperheads when I was young I was always going out and catching snakes turtles salamanders etc and keeping them; I grant you at the time I didn't realize that you shouldn't keep a local animal and then release it but I didn't know then.

P.S. I couldn't connect to this site for a few days or I would of responded sooner.
    Long time fish keeper most experience with CA/SA cichlids, natives like sunfish, and aggressive catfish.
    Currently have a 29g planted with 14 candy cane tetras, 6 sterbai corys, 6 melini corys, a roided out tiger angelfish and 1 mustache wearing albino longfin pleco.
    Oh and they all get along amazingly!!! went through 4 BN plecos and 2 angelfish until I got ones with the right temperament but it's the most mellow tank now.

Awards Showcase

No Message - Ms. Namazu starting the round off - Hardy85 The more the merrier...cheers! - Slaphppy7 I are as drunk are not I think are you. - Sandz fishies - Hardy85 
    The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz This round's on me... - Slaphppy7 For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA cheers man - mojosodope 
    Heck, it's 5 o' clock somewhere... - Slaphppy7 Everyone loves pie. - Honey Badger 1 Nice work my friend - Honey Badger 1 nice work! have a beer! - Crispy lol, someone had to say it. - KevinVA 
    Thanks for the rep, and for all your help! - wgoldfarb Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - mommy1 Hey Longshot, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    I don't find it cruel to feed mice to a snake, they don't seem to sell "snake flakes" down to the LPS. And snake PELLETS are their poop, so those are out (no pun intended). In nature big animals eat little animals that have eaten smaller animals that have eaten plants. Vegetarians eat plants because they can't hear the little broccoli screams. That's just the cycle of things. CRUEL would be blowing up animals or ripping their legs off, etc... but not feeding your carnivorous animal another animal for the sake of survival.
    When in d0ubt read it until it makes sense, then read it again!