· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Default Good food/advice for my 7 new sterbas!!!

0 Not allowed!
    I'm so happy I finally got my sterbas in so now I have 10 lemon tetras and 7 of them in my slightly planted 29g. I'm still waiting for my centerpiece driftwood to sink it's tied to a frickin rock for over 2 months :/ before I order plants. They had to be tank bred too all their fins are good looking their all around an inch or so. They really seem to enjoy the tahitian sand on the bottom as well in my 29g.

I have shrimp pellets (kind of old maybe 5 years but my other fish didnt mind does it expire?) algae wafers, bloodworms, and tetra flake. 2morrow in the day should I drop some shrimp pellets for them? and maybe before bed some bloodworms and flake so the tetras dont eat them all on them like right before the lights go out put some in? I also have bio blend herbivore that stuff sinks.

The LFS prices are insane 20 bucks for a thing of algae waffers and $6 for .7 ounces of algae waffers its nuts!!! I'd like some food advice and recommendations on a good site to order from the only cheap stuff around here are the fish.

I was kinda worried that they didn't eat but they just got in the tank so it's to be expected. Also they seem to be trying to get to the top of the tank but don't go all the way; I know they gulp bubbles of air I hope my filters arent so strong they can't.
    Last edited by FishGuy67; 04-10-2013 at 12:53 AM.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I saw one gulp air and decided to turn the filters off they swim all but like an inch from the top and go back down i think they are just exploring. Really healthy fish great buy on my part. I really wanna give em the best food possible and get these great looking fish even better looking and full grown!

Once my bioload is ready next up is my GBR then I might get 3 more sterbas and maybe 5 more lemon tetras. Then maybe a month into the future a nice dwarf pleco that likes water at 80 degrees like my corys and GBR do.

0 Not allowed!
    Don't switch your filter off!!

Hikari makes a nice sinking cory wafer, get that and toss those old shrimp pellets

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ordering some of that online til i get it should I just keep trying with shrimp pellets and putting some bloodworms etc in before night so they have time to sink for them? They nibble on the flake food a bit when its on the bottom but don't really go crazy for it.

I just wanna make sure they are getting food without overfeeding.

Oh and when I had my filter off all the media stayed wet so don't sweat it lol.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I haven't even had them for 24 hours yet so id imagine that's why they only peck at flake etc. Those hikari wafers are pretty good looking they had what I can get for 8 bucks online 20 bucks at the store about; how insane is that.

0 Not allowed!
    Feed what you got. Thing is with outdated food, vitamin content will have gone down. For a week or even two that's no problem but it's not healthy long term.
    There may be other good brands on the market where you live. I recommend hikari because I know it's a global brand and it's very good quality food.

Thumbs up

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by FishGuy67 View Post
    I really wanna give em the best food possible and get these great looking fish even better looking and full grown!
    Good plan

http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-sup...d-feeders.html is also some high quality food for you to check out. I have nothing but good things to say about it.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    I understand the duality of which you speak. I am a professional fisherman - I kill fish for a living. That's what got me back into aquariums - I wanted to celebrate them living too.
    125 - big fish - BGK
    125 - cichlid community - cichlids (red severums, chanchitos, bolivian rams, blue acara, chocolate), rainbows (yellow, turquoise, red and boesmani), loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis, golden wonder killis
    90 - african community - Congo tetras, african knife, african butterflies, spotted ctenopoma, palmas bichir, african featherfin
    10 - female pink convict
    5 - betta/ADFs

QTs - 2x29, 20H, 20L