· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 82 of 248 FirstFirst ... 3272808182838492132182 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Christmas!  Hope you and your family have a great one! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 
    Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 I can't send you a real one, sorry for your loses - steeler1 Happy belated Birthday. - steeler58 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Sorry for you loss, wish it was a real one. - steeler58 It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA It's fish flake friday, like the old days!! - steeler58 Beer makes monday not suck so bad.. - Sandz In honor of Steelers 5k posts! - Sandz 
    Couldn't give you rep, yet, but you deserve it with your contributions in the Discus/Angel thread.  Thanks! - KevinVA T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Just for you being you! - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Have a Rummy nose for oldtimes sake ;-) - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    steeler1, I'll definitely take a look at this cory when we go to That Pet Place. We were supposed to go this Sunday but it was pushed back to next week :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=T5jhfEQ3AKk

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    Judi, like the options you have. The mesh screen looks like a good choice too. The gutter guard worrys me because its very sharp and if a fish got stuck, im afraid if it unsticks it will be cut up pretty bad.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

0 Not allowed!
    I have to agree with Sandz...the mesh looks to be a better solution. Gutter guard is fairly thin and sharp.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Christmas!  Hope you and your family have a great one! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 
    Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 I can't send you a real one, sorry for your loses - steeler1 Happy belated Birthday. - steeler58 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Sorry for you loss, wish it was a real one. - steeler58 It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA It's fish flake friday, like the old days!! - steeler58 Beer makes monday not suck so bad.. - Sandz In honor of Steelers 5k posts! - Sandz 
    Couldn't give you rep, yet, but you deserve it with your contributions in the Discus/Angel thread.  Thanks! - KevinVA T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Just for you being you! - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Have a Rummy nose for oldtimes sake ;-) - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Sandz & Taurus, yes I agree I think the plastic mesh may be the best bet.

I've been trying to find some good info on water changes with a sump but want to make sure I'm doing it properly. I've read you can siphon the substrate and continue to remove the water from the tank or siphon the substrate and then remove water from the sump.

With then 45 gallon I remove water until I get certain level then turn off the filter if I need to remove more (below the intake tube), start to refill then turn the filter back on as soon as I'm above the water level of the intake.

How does this work with the sump? Do I just turn the pump off for the sump when I start the waterchange then wait until finished to turn it back on?

0 Not allowed!
    On my set-ups, I just turn everything off and let the system drainback into the sump. When that is done, I remove water from the sump, replace with new, and turn everything back on. If I need to clean the substrate in the main tank, I will follow the same process except I remove water from the main tank and replace the water there as well. You just have to be careful to know were the water line is in the main tank before your start draining water out of it so you can replace the same amount of water. Same goes for removing water from the sump.

Both approaches work fine. I guess it just depends on how big of a water change you want to do

Interesting about the gutter guard. The stuff I got from Home Depot that is sold as gutter guard has no sharp edges what so ever. Must have been made by a different company I guess.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff, my gutter guard is like a chedar grate! Its nuts... however there is a plastic mesh but its just as large and easy to get a fish through.

On the sump w/c I would agree with shutting it down, drainback, empty as much from the main tank as you wish to change and then would drain sump... Next I would take your refil water and pump directly to the return pump of the tank. Then turn on the pump and let it refill the tank and stop the incoming water when your sump and tank are back at the correct level. Sounds a lot harder than it is...

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you Cliff & Sandz, I was just running it through my head and wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. I'll do the water changes through the main since they'll always be big ones :).

Cliff I'm glad you mentioned noticing the water line in the main tank, I have my sump marked and the return marked but I didn't think of that. The gutterguard I have is plastic but my tiny fish will be able to swim through it no problem so hopefully the mesh will work. I've also considered if the mesh is too restrictive to double up the gutterguard (off centered) to make the openings smaller...

Sandz, will draining the water from the sump create issues with the refugium & miracle mud? I'm worried disturbing it too much will send it through the main tank making it cloudy. Thanks for the tip on refilling through the return pump!

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    I wouldnt touch the refugium part. I would drain the two other chambers (the feed and drain-in). That way you dont mess with the mudd or the plants.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Gotcha darlin, thanks as always!

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Awe you are gunna make me

Page 82 of 248 FirstFirst ... 3272808182838492132182 ... LastLast