· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 248 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Over here in Europe these guys have played a major role in making discus keeping accessible. http://www.diskuszucht-stendker.de/gb/index.html they've bred to ensure that their fish will do well in the ph and GH of common tapwater. I seem to recall they opened a branch in North-America as well but I have no idea of the other players on the market.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Christmas!  Hope you and your family have a great one! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 
    Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 I can't send you a real one, sorry for your loses - steeler1 Happy belated Birthday. - steeler58 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Sorry for you loss, wish it was a real one. - steeler58 It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA It's fish flake friday, like the old days!! - steeler58 Beer makes monday not suck so bad.. - Sandz In honor of Steelers 5k posts! - Sandz 
    Couldn't give you rep, yet, but you deserve it with your contributions in the Discus/Angel thread.  Thanks! - KevinVA T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Just for you being you! - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Have a Rummy nose for oldtimes sake ;-) - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardy85 View Post
    If you can handle all the work the discus take i think it would be a great idea, but I also second the fact that you want to limited the type of fish, for a few reasons. One being that it could take away the affect of the discus, two, the more species of fish, the higher the risk of some illness developing and harming the discus.

My opinion of the stock would be
    4-6 Discus
    School of cardinals or preferably rummey nose
    School of Cory
    And maybe, i don't know if it would be ok (have to talk to mojoscope) but I'd also say bolivian Rams
    I do think I can handle the extra work, just want to make sure I have everything worked on paper so to speak before finalizing any decisions. The stock list you mentioned is exactly what I'm looking to do..If I decide not to keep Bolivian Rams with the Discus I will be able to incorporate them into the 45 gallon with some adjustments on my stocking there.

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah Han's (also known as DiscusHans) is the best importer of Stenker discus.

Judi is there any info you need for your paper?
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Christmas!  Hope you and your family have a great one! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 
    Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 I can't send you a real one, sorry for your loses - steeler1 Happy belated Birthday. - steeler58 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Sorry for you loss, wish it was a real one. - steeler58 It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA It's fish flake friday, like the old days!! - steeler58 Beer makes monday not suck so bad.. - Sandz In honor of Steelers 5k posts! - Sandz 
    Couldn't give you rep, yet, but you deserve it with your contributions in the Discus/Angel thread.  Thanks! - KevinVA T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Just for you being you! - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Have a Rummy nose for oldtimes sake ;-) - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandz View Post
    So first - on discus care - You need to be prepared to do a vacume of the substrate almost daily with a large water change of about 40%-70% at least twice a week. Personally I do 90% daily water changes but thats for breeding stock and babies. Also something that you could consider before purchase is how much your ph fluctuates from tap to aged water. Put some tap water in a bucket, test it, then test it the next morning. If you have a large swing in ph than you would also need to consider a 2nd tank for aging water for the safety of the fish. If it wasnt discus, I wouldnt worry but you need to measure twice and cut once on these guys.

I can even recommend an amazing vendor to get your fish from. I have come to a realisation with discus over time that paying for quality is the #1 conscern on these fish. MandyK, when we were talking over her fish was close to a distributor I trusted and had good fish but for this tank and for the sake of ease, I would recommend no smaller than 3in fish to start with. They will grow approximately 1in/mo and wont require 6 daily feedings. Also that size is perfect for starting to get them to get used to hand feeding. I find this is the cleanest way to feed them and its FUN!

Aesthetically. You can go with black sand if you want as long as you are not interested in Pigeon strains. They will freckle if placed in black enviroments. Something to drool over is Kenny Cheungs post here: http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...list-included) This is the guy I have my breeding pair from and he has great prices and is the best person to deal with I have ever met. Also LarryP on aquabid is a good guy and sells 1.5in fish that require a LOT more work... Its up to you.
    Sandz, thank you so much for all the great info!!! I don't have issue with vacuuming on a daily basis..I do that a lot with my tank now if I think I may have overfed and the water changes shouldn't be an issue either. For the tank I have now I use a holding tank for water changes that is heated to the same temperature and I use a combination of a small limestone and a good size piece of driftwood to keep the water buffered and my ph stable with a pump for circulation. I usually just refill the tank pitcher & bucket method but will have to look into a larger holding tank and a bigger pump to refill the 135 gallon (would have to do this anyway no matter what type of fish). I'm also going to use a 39 gallon sump filtration system so I'll have a larger volume of water to help keep things more stable also.

I checked out the website you mentioned and luckily it was during my lunch so I did have some napkins available to catch all the drool :D Really really beautiful Discus!!! I'm still up in the air regarding the color of the substrate...was actually thinking of using a combination of dark and light, using the dark to make a "river like" effect through the light sand but that's just an idea in my head, not sure it would work well in reality. I would definitely go the route you suggested of 3" fish to start with for my level of experience that would be the safest way to go for the fish health and my mental well being ;). I'm really excited about the hand feeding, nothing like being to interact with kids!

Thanks again, and I'll be sure to hit you up for more advice!

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    Awesome news Judy! Sounds like you are good an ready to jump in feet first!

On the black path... it will get messed up every gravel vac and you may really hate that.

Remember that there are a difference between Stenker discus and the Asian imports that Kenny provides. Both have their merrits, but I am partial to the Asians. They just have the shape and color pop that I really like. Just remember to not cross discus from different regions too.. They will have different immune systems.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah Han's (also known as DiscusHans) is the best importer of Stenker discus.

Judi is there any info you need for your paper?
    I'll put everything together that I'm looking to do over the weekend (I have an excel spreadsheet at work) and then post it here all together for you to take a look at and you can then steer me in the right direction in regard to things I may have overlooked or not thought through enough. I 'd really appreciate it

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by steeler1 View Post
    Cardinal teatras and Discus go well together not only because they contrast well but the Cardinal can take the higher temps and water conditions of Discus. As a second school I like your Idea of Rummy noses. They to can take the requirements of the Discus.

It sounds like you have done your research already, just a second opinion.
    I'm definitely going to have a big school of the Cardinals, like you said they can take the higher temps...was a little concerned about the Rummy noses because their temp range looked a little lower than the Cardinals but those bright red noses are a sign of good water quality!!

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    Over here in Europe these guys have played a major role in making discus keeping accessible. http://www.diskuszucht-stendker.de/gb/index.html they've bred to ensure that their fish will do well in the ph and GH of common tapwater. I seem to recall they opened a branch in North-America as well but I have no idea of the other players on the market.
    talldutchie I checked out the site and found the US branch is located in Baltimore Maryland so I may just get in touch with them and see if a tour of the facility would be possible..roadtrip!!

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Awesome news Judy! Sounds like you are good an ready to jump in feet first!

On the black path... it will get messed up every gravel vac and you may really hate that.

Remember that there are a difference between Stenker discus and the Asian imports that Kenny provides. Both have their merrits, but I am partial to the Asians. They just have the shape and color pop that I really like. Just remember to not cross discus from different regions too.. They will have different immune systems.
    Yup, would hate the sand getting messed up..looked lovely in my head though lol! Well, you've given me something new to research in regard to the type of discus...off I go to google...after I get dinner started

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Google is normally my first stop but if its discus; simplydiscus.com is the site I use. Their forum members are amazingly intelligent and have discus down to a science. Only warning i throw out there is that they are bare bottom folk. Half of those members dont believe you can have a planted discus tank. I hve personally lived different.

Also Kenny and Hans are members there. Hans (the Maryland branch) of Stenker discus has many supporting posts on there.

Page 3 of 248 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast