· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 158 of 241 FirstFirst ... 58108148156157158159160168208 ... LastLast
Results 1,571 to 1,580 of 2404

0 Not allowed!
    Hmmm, can't view pics. Maybe cause I'm on phone. What kind of root tabs are these? Also Seachem's root tab?

Swords and crypts unaffected?
    Last edited by Spardas; 09-21-2013 at 11:45 PM.

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

0 Not allowed!
    I'm no expert on algae issues but how long are you keeping your lights on? Maybe you could cut the time back by an hour or two? Maybe stop dosing extra ferts for a week or two, maybe longer. I was having issues with diatoms in my two tanks and I cut the time back by an hour on both tanks and started dosing less than I did and my tanks cleared up quickly.

I still get diatoms problems here and there but nothing noticeable, and anything that appears in my 10 gallon is quickly eaten by my Otos.
    My 10 Gallon Aquarium Journal
    20 Gallon: 1x Mikrogeophagus ramirezi, 10x Nannostomus beckfordi

~Formerly known as Carapar56~

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Christmas!  Hope you and your family have a great one! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 I can't send you a real one, sorry for your loses - steeler1 Happy belated Birthday. - steeler58 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA 
    Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 Sorry for you loss, wish it was a real one. - steeler58 It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA It's fish flake friday, like the old days!! - steeler58 Beer makes monday not suck so bad.. - Sandz 
    In honor of Steelers 5k posts! - Sandz Couldn't give you rep, yet, but you deserve it with your contributions in the Discus/Angel thread.  Thanks! - KevinVA T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Just for you being you! - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spardas View Post
    Hmmm, can't view pics. Maybe cause I'm on phone. What kind of root tabs are these? Also Seachem's root tab?

Swords and crypts unaffected?
    Yes, Seachem root tabs, no algae on swords or crypts... just the wood and attached plants that are located mid tank and up approximately.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Christmas!  Hope you and your family have a great one! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 I can't send you a real one, sorry for your loses - steeler1 Happy belated Birthday. - steeler58 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA 
    Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 Sorry for you loss, wish it was a real one. - steeler58 It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA It's fish flake friday, like the old days!! - steeler58 Beer makes monday not suck so bad.. - Sandz 
    In honor of Steelers 5k posts! - Sandz Couldn't give you rep, yet, but you deserve it with your contributions in the Discus/Angel thread.  Thanks! - KevinVA T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Just for you being you! - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 

0 Not allowed!
    Gesp56, white & blue lights are on about 7 hours but I'm going to cut it back to 6. Yeah, my otos in the 45 keep things pretty tidy but I also have the lights raised about 4" on that tank.... hmmm

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

0 Not allowed!
    What kinds of bulbs are you using? Whats the wattage and kelvins? You don't have any real high light plants in there.. If the light is too strong and there aren't enough high light plants to take in the nutrients and such then algae will take hold. At least that's what I've gathered from the research I've done. Also an imbalance of a certain nutrient can cause algae out breaks.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I had a nearly identical problem in the past, I found by reducing the time by blue LEDs were on significantly reduce the algae especially on the Anubias. May work for you

0 Not allowed!
    Okay then, not too little nutrients, lol, you have extra and it's throwing a curve at the anubias since they're slow as snail compared to the swords. Definitely cut back on light time, let's do 6 hours and do a 50% PWC, don't re-dose Flourish.
    Think with logic and rationality more than emotion. Act with moderation and consideration. Contemplate ideals and realistic goals and weigh out possibilities and options. Temper not with personal delusions or false hope but learn to accept and move on.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Isn't 6 hours too little? In my experience anything less than 8 or 9 hours starts effecting fish negatively. They become less active and their colors being pale. I don't know if there's any scientific evidence to back this up but from what I've gathered in the 7 years I've owned fish is that shorter day-time periods are bad for them.

My advice is to maybe cut down on the lighting you have. You can only shorten the time the lights are on by so much, like I said before, maybe you could cut back the lighting? You don't have high light plants, and the ones that could do great in high light aren't in large enough numbers to keep algae from blooming. Maybe get lower wattage lights, or remove some lighting?

I had a huge algae issue in my 20 gallon along with diatoms. My issue was that the tank wasn't planted and my lights were way too strong, I simply cut the wattage in half and now I barely see any algae growing. I only have to clean the glass maybe once a week to every two weeks.

I may be wrong but if this was my tank I'd remove some of the lighting, not shorten the time that they're on..

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mojosodope View Post
    I had a nearly identical problem in the past, I found by reducing the time by blue LEDs were on significantly reduce the algae especially on the Anubias. May work for you
    Thanks mojo (nice to hear from you), I'll give reducing the blue LEDs a shot, right now they're on for a total of 2 hours so I'll cut back to an hour.

Quote Originally Posted by Spardas View Post
    Okay then, not too little nutrients, lol, you have extra and it's throwing a curve at the anubias since they're slow as snail compared to the swords. Definitely cut back on light time, let's do 6 hours and do a 50% PWC, don't re-dose Flourish.
    Sounds like a plan, I just did a 50% water change yesterday and I didn't dose at all, just set the lights for 6 hours so we'll see if that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Gesp56 View Post
    Isn't 6 hours too little? In my experience anything less than 8 or 9 hours starts effecting fish negatively. They become less active and their colors being pale. I don't know if there's any scientific evidence to back this up but from what I've gathered in the 7 years I've owned fish is that shorter day-time periods are bad for them.

I don't really know about the time issue either (would have to research that) but I would think in nature our tropical fish are not under the bright type of lighting we have in our tanks at all and most of them come from waters that are full of tannins or have a lot of floating vegetation blocking out most of the really bright light so I think the fish would be fine but you would have an issue with plants that desire higher/longer light levels.

My advice is to maybe cut down on the lighting you have. You can only shorten the time the lights are on by so much, like I said before, maybe you could cut back the lighting? You don't have high light plants, and the ones that could do great in high light aren't in large enough numbers to keep algae from blooming. Maybe get lower wattage lights, or remove some lighting?

I'm definitely going to cut down on the time the lights are on, since they are LEDs I can't remove a bulb or anything but I am looking into raising them a bit also.
    I had a huge algae issue in my 20 gallon along with diatoms. My issue was that the tank wasn't planted and my lights were way too strong, I simply cut the wattage in half and now I barely see any algae growing. I only have to clean the glass maybe once a week to every two weeks.

I may be wrong but if this was my tank I'd remove some of the lighting, not shorten the time that they're on..

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gesp56 View Post
    I have heard that the lights in our tanks are mostly for our benefit. I think it is completely acceptable to keep a tank with no lights on it at all (unplanted of course), though I don't think anyone would do that because there's no point in it. I think the important thing is that, since we do use bright artificial lights, it is good for fish to have a consistent and predictable day/night cycle.

Maybe I'm wrong, but that's just the impression I've gotten from previous threads.
    Last edited by CrunchyLeaf; 09-22-2013 at 05:52 PM.
    ~Manna
    10 gallon live planted aquarium with 6 neons
    90 gallon fw community in progress

Page 158 of 241 FirstFirst ... 58108148156157158159160168208 ... LastLast