· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 144 of 248 FirstFirst ... 4494134142143144145146154194244 ... LastLast
Results 1,431 to 1,440 of 2472

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by JudiJetson View Post
    I also started researching a product Aquariapure that is supposed to reduce the nitrates the aquarium to basically 0 but I'd love to speak with someone who has actually gone this route. If God forbid I was ever laid up for a time this could be a life saver for the fish.
    I'd skip on the AquariaPure. It's junk, just go the natural way with plants/WCs.
    Think with logic and rationality more than emotion. Act with moderation and consideration. Contemplate ideals and realistic goals and weigh out possibilities and options. Temper not with personal delusions or false hope but learn to accept and move on.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Christmas!  Hope you and your family have a great one! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 
    Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 I can't send you a real one, sorry for your loses - steeler1 Happy belated Birthday. - steeler58 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Sorry for you loss, wish it was a real one. - steeler58 It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA It's fish flake friday, like the old days!! - steeler58 Beer makes monday not suck so bad.. - Sandz In honor of Steelers 5k posts! - Sandz 
    Couldn't give you rep, yet, but you deserve it with your contributions in the Discus/Angel thread.  Thanks! - KevinVA T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Just for you being you! - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Have a Rummy nose for oldtimes sake ;-) - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    I'll absolutely give them a try. Since you advised dosing with Flourish Comprehensive the anubias in my 45 gallon has doubled in size and my java ferns are thick & lush. I've done the same in the 135 and I have tons of new growth!

0 Not allowed!
    Great! I'm glad to hear you're having success with your plants. =]

I think you'll find that it becomes much more relaxing/comforting, knowing that plants will aid in water filtration/clarity. When you miss your "scheduled" water change for the week, you can rest assured that the plants will take care of any toxins that might appear (assuming they're healthy). They definitely give you more leeway and you can slack a bit if you want. ;P

Not that I'd recommend it (because new water adds other benefits), but I've gone 2 weeks without a pwc in my 75gal and still had 0/0/0 readings.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

0 Not allowed!
    Discus discus discus.....
    Think with logic and rationality more than emotion. Act with moderation and consideration. Contemplate ideals and realistic goals and weigh out possibilities and options. Temper not with personal delusions or false hope but learn to accept and move on.

0 Not allowed!
    What are the test results on the qt tank? Wouldn't moving some of the filter floss from the large tank speed it up in time for the September order? ;)
    ~Manna
    10 gallon live planted aquarium with 6 neons
    90 gallon fw community in progress

0 Not allowed!
    I wouldn't cross contaminate from the main tank and the QT tank.....

The QT tank needs to be by itself far away from the main tank if possible.

1 Not allowed!
    Interesting. I always have thought of the QT as a precaution to keep new fish from introducing illness to your main tank, it never occurred to me to be concerned about your main tank passing illness to the new fish in the QT. I don't know if that makes sense in my mind since they are ultimately ending up in the big tank anyway.

Is that a discus specific concern or should you always try to cycle your QT separately?
    ~Manna
    10 gallon live planted aquarium with 6 neons
    90 gallon fw community in progress

0 Not allowed!
    Different fishes come from different places and they can carry different kind of pathogens.

Just like when the Europeans first hit the shores of the New World, it decimated the native population because of the new diseases they were never exposed to. They had no immunity to it.

Likewise, you can view fishes in the same light.

Now, this issue hasn't happened to me yet due to my strict QT procedures but I've seen instances where an entire fish room was wiped out. I know first hand a lot of people who ordered some fishes, put them in the QT, and then the next day, all the fishes turned dark and issues came out of nowhere. The QT tank was in the same room as the main tank. Be it carelessness (wet hands from one tank to another), moisture (goes in the air from one tank to the other), or anything that could've carried the pathogen from one tank to the other, it wiped out their stock quite quickly.

At least in another room, they can go through with their normal preventive QT procedures first and clean up the fish. Afterwards, they can then take fishes from the main tank and mix it with the fishes in the QT tank and observe to see if anything would break out. This way, the main tank would be spared if anything should happen. The whole process for me takes a good 6 weeks.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Christmas!  Hope you and your family have a great one! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 
    Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 I can't send you a real one, sorry for your loses - steeler1 Happy belated Birthday. - steeler58 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Sorry for you loss, wish it was a real one. - steeler58 It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA It's fish flake friday, like the old days!! - steeler58 Beer makes monday not suck so bad.. - Sandz In honor of Steelers 5k posts! - Sandz 
    Couldn't give you rep, yet, but you deserve it with your contributions in the Discus/Angel thread.  Thanks! - KevinVA T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Just for you being you! - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Have a Rummy nose for oldtimes sake ;-) - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Tested the water last night in the QT tank and I have no nitrites showing up yet :(

I went the route of starting with a sterile sponge filter (recommended for Discus) so it will unfortunately take longer. The QT tank is in the same room but it is at least a very large room so it is about 8 feet away. My floor plan is completely open so there is no separation between rooms. I have taken care to have a new water changer, new nets and new buckets that are all labeled to the tank they belong to and I make sure I wash my hands and arms up to my shoulders before putting them in a tank (and between tanks if I'm feeding). Like Spardas said after about 4 weeks I'll move a few of the RummyNose over the the Discus QT to make sure no issues pop up.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by JudiJetson View Post
    Tested the water last night in the QT tank and I have no nitrites showing up yet :(

I went the route of starting with a sterile sponge filter (recommended for Discus) so it will unfortunately take longer. The QT tank is in the same room but it is at least a very large room so it is about 8 feet away. My floor plan is completely open so there is no separation between rooms. I have taken care to have a new water changer, new nets and new buckets that are all labeled to the tank they belong to and I make sure I wash my hands and arms up to my shoulders before putting them in a tank (and between tanks if I'm feeding). Like Spardas said after about 4 weeks I'll move a few of the RummyNose over the the Discus QT to make sure no issues pop up.
    Then Mr. Jetson shows up, hey honey, let me borrow this net from this tank. I think I see something in the other tank that needs to be scooped out.

Page 144 of 248 FirstFirst ... 4494134142143144145146154194244 ... LastLast