· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 131 of 239 FirstFirst ... 3181121129130131132133141181231 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,310 of 2387

0 Not allowed!
    Did you also get the GH/KH of straight out of tap and after the crushed coral treatment?

Understanding your municipal water is key to keeping discus due to how much and the frequency of water changes that you will have to do. Be it seasonal changes, pipe changes, addition of chemicals or removal of chemicals, or additional pressure causing more dissolved gasses, etc.; it can all factor into the water specs. 24 hours is a good time frame to let it sit and aerate out any dissolved gasses and stabilize. This will allow you to see if the pH straight out of tap is the true pH or not.

Try to get a water report from your water supplier every so often.

I spoke to Kenny earlier today and told him to be on the lookout for someone ordering some stock from him in September, lol. I wonder who it can be.
    Think with logic and rationality more than emotion. Act with moderation and consideration. Contemplate ideals and realistic goals and weigh out possibilities and options. Temper not with personal delusions or false hope but learn to accept and move on.

0 Not allowed!
    Been a long time since I ventured into this journal. I'm heading to bed now, but I can't wait to kick back at my desk tomorrow with a bowl of popcorn and get caught up here. Looks like some interesting goings on :)
    ~Manna
    10 gallon live planted aquarium with 6 neons
    90 gallon fw community in progress

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Christmas!  Hope you and your family have a great one! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 I can't send you a real one, sorry for your loses - steeler1 Happy belated Birthday. - steeler58 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA 
    Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 Sorry for you loss, wish it was a real one. - steeler58 It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA It's fish flake friday, like the old days!! - steeler58 Beer makes monday not suck so bad.. - Sandz 
    In honor of Steelers 5k posts! - Sandz Couldn't give you rep, yet, but you deserve it with your contributions in the Discus/Angel thread.  Thanks! - KevinVA T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Just for you being you! - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spardas View Post
    Did you also get the GH/KH of straight out of tap and after the crushed coral treatment?

Test Results are as follows: Tap water KH 2 ppm GH 6 ppm. Aged water KH 2 ppm GH 7 ppm. For the KH in both tests the first drop turned the water blue the second drop changed from blue to a light yellow.

Understanding your municipal water is key to keeping discus due to how much and the frequency of water changes that you will have to do. Be it seasonal changes, pipe changes, addition of chemicals or removal of chemicals, or additional pressure causing more dissolved gasses, etc.; it can all factor into the water specs. 24 hours is a good time frame to let it sit and aerate out any dissolved gasses and stabilize. This will allow you to see if the pH straight out of tap is the true pH or not.

Try to get a water report from your water supplier every so often.

I pulled up the water quality report for our area and unfortunately it was an overall report of statistics for 2012 with GH averaging between 18-50 ppm and PH average of 7.4. I'll have to call them and see if there is a more detailed weekly/monthly report.

I spoke to Kenny earlier today and told him to be on the lookout for someone ordering some stock from him in September, lol. I wonder who it can be.
    Lol, Awesome!!!! I absolutely can't wait and I'm looking forward to giving them a wonderful home!

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Christmas!  Hope you and your family have a great one! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 I can't send you a real one, sorry for your loses - steeler1 Happy belated Birthday. - steeler58 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA 
    Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 Sorry for you loss, wish it was a real one. - steeler58 It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA It's fish flake friday, like the old days!! - steeler58 Beer makes monday not suck so bad.. - Sandz 
    In honor of Steelers 5k posts! - Sandz Couldn't give you rep, yet, but you deserve it with your contributions in the Discus/Angel thread.  Thanks! - KevinVA T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Just for you being you! - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrunchyLeaf View Post
    Been a long time since I ventured into this journal. I'm heading to bed now, but I can't wait to kick back at my desk tomorrow with a bowl of popcorn and get caught up here. Looks like some interesting goings on :)
    Lol!!! Make sure it's a BIG bowl of popcorn it's a reeeeeeeeeeeeally long journal :D

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    【ツ】 - korith first fish for your community tank! - Cyberra a friend for your other neon ;) - Cyberra tetra #3 ;) - Cyberra looks like you like neons.... i hope - genocidex 
    because sometimes they school - genocidex a good school of neons is 6 minimal !!!!! - genocidex for playing along, gift of my choice!!!! - genocidex These seem to be quite popular... - ~firefly~ ...so here's another one... - ~firefly~ 
    ...and for luck, one more. - ~firefly~ 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Flyby Stardancer 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by JudiJetson View Post
    Test Results are as follows: Tap water KH 2 ppm GH 6 ppm. Aged water KH 2 ppm GH 7 ppm. For the KH in both tests the first drop turned the water blue the second drop changed from blue to a light yellow.
    Do you mean 2 dKH and 7 dGH? Because each degree of hardness (= drop of test liquid) is equal to 17.9ppm.
    1. 2. (No Picture)
    1: Planted Betta Tank 1, Grimsby (male betta)
    2: Planted Betta Tank 2
    3: Eclipse QT Tank

0 Not allowed!
    She probably didn't mean to put the ppm in the back, lol. Anyway, the specs with the aged water of 2/7, is that after you ran it through crushed coral for a day?
    Think with logic and rationality more than emotion. Act with moderation and consideration. Contemplate ideals and realistic goals and weigh out possibilities and options. Temper not with personal delusions or false hope but learn to accept and move on.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    She probably didn't mean to put the ppm in the back, lol. Anyway, the specs with the aged water of 2/7, is that after you ran it through crushed coral for a day?
    Yes, that was after 24. Yeah, I oopsed on the ppm....it was early and I only had one coffee :D

0 Not allowed!
    Okay, and after a week, there is no changes in pH, GH, and KH in the tank water after you test it? If it matches with the pH, GH, and KH of the treated water, you are good to go.

Stability is key. That's why I can do as much PWC as I wanted whenever I wanted to because I was able to match the water specs exactly the same from waste water and incoming fresh water. It didn't matter if the water change was 10% or 100%, it was the same.

Do you use a container of some sort to age the water? What's your plan for water changes after putting the discus in the main tank? I guess that's up for discussion after you actually put them in there and start to feed more heavily. Depending on how fast your water degrade, you might have to change more often.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Okay, and after a week, there is no changes in pH, GH, and KH in the tank water after you test it? If it matches with the pH, GH, and KH of the treated water, you are good to go.

Woo Hoo, I'll make sure to test during the week just to make sure all stays the same. I've always tested the ph in the tank and the ph in the aged water to make sure that matches but I never did the GH or KH.

Stability is key. That's why I can do as much PWC as I wanted whenever I wanted to because I was able to match the water specs exactly the same from waste water and incoming fresh water. It didn't matter if the water change was 10% or 100%, it was the same.

Do you use a container of some sort to age the water? What's your plan for water changes after putting the discus in the main tank? I guess that's up for discussion after you actually put them in there and start to feed more heavily. Depending on how fast your water degrade, you might have to change more often.
    I have 2 55 gallon brute forces containers (white & fda approved for food) that I use to age my water. I plan to change out the water as much as necessary, in reality for me large water changes don't take that much time, for me what takes the longest is wiping down the inside of the glass, cleaning the glass lids and trying to wipe off miracle mud 2 residue off my plants. I don't have an issue with seeing uneaten food, siphoning it out and adding a bit more water in. I timed my wc today and it took 2+ hours but that included glass cleaning and working with the covers to verifty the suction issue, and adding in a bit of extra sand. If it's possible several smaller changes during the week would be great then a big change on the weekend..

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    okay, i've attached a pic of the gap i thought was causing the suction... only thing is since i replaced the cover that had mesh silconed to the outside of the cover with the original cover i've had no fish end up anywhere but the main tank. I pushed the cover down really hard and it stayed in place, no moving away no more of a gap. i'm starting to think this was all about the cover with the mesh placed in front of the teeth (and maybe not pushed firmly down) causing the suction. ugh, my head hurts......
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 131 of 239 FirstFirst ... 3181121129130131132133141181231 ... LastLast