· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 248 1231151101 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Christmas!  Hope you and your family have a great one! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 
    Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 I can't send you a real one, sorry for your loses - steeler1 Happy belated Birthday. - steeler58 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Sorry for you loss, wish it was a real one. - steeler58 It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA It's fish flake friday, like the old days!! - steeler58 Beer makes monday not suck so bad.. - Sandz In honor of Steelers 5k posts! - Sandz 
    Couldn't give you rep, yet, but you deserve it with your contributions in the Discus/Angel thread.  Thanks! - KevinVA T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Just for you being you! - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Have a Rummy nose for oldtimes sake ;-) - steeler58 

Default Go Big or Go Home

0 Not allowed!
    I borrowed the title from steeler1 in regard to my recent post on a long or a tall tank :D. So this will be my first journal, don't expect too much right now because all I have decided on is the following:

135 Gallon Reef Ready (72L x 18W x 25H)
    39 gallon sump filtration (have only had canisters and HOB)
    Sand substrate (only had gravel)
    Manzanita Wood
    Rock ledges & caves
    Java ferns and anubias attached to wood
    Amazon swords (only a couple, don't want to deal with a lot planted into the substrate)

My concern with a big tank is the fact that I have out of the tap ph 7.3-ish but a kh of only 4 and a gh of 6. So in the past I have dealt with big ph drops since my water has little buffering capacity. To combat this I started doing the following: Got a 45 gallon drum (heavy duty plastic & new) and filled it with my tap water, inserted a heater and a small air pump, added a limestone and tested my ph 8.0...added a piece of driftwood ph7.3. I now use this water to refill my tank. The temp is the same, the ph is the same, my kh is now 4.5. This works well for a 45 gallon I can do 50% pwc's easily. What am I going to do when it comes to a 135 gallon?

Then there's the whole stocking issue...I love schools of fish but am not sure with such a large tank that I want to do tiny fish. What I am sure of is that recently I have become enamored with Bolivian Rams. I have only one right now but I just adore the quirky personality. So, not my stocking list but what I find pleasing to watch and interact with:

In my tank now:
    Bolivian Rams - quirky and he greets me everyday. I really really really want more of these.
    False Julii corys - just darn cute and the ones I have are constantly doing the little T breeding scenario in front of me
    Serpae Tetras (long finned) - love the coloration and the fact that they will actually school together even if not always

Have never had but find interesting:
    Rummy Nose Tetra - love the color, just striking fish
    Congo Tetras - stunning
    Celestial Pearl Danios - Have never seen one in person but just lovely, afraid they would get lost in such a big tank even if it was a large school.
    Bosemani Rainbow - Again, have never seen one in person but the colors are just amazing (my water may be too soft though)

The list can go on and on but when it comes down to it I like a lot of color, like the Electric Yellow Cichlid and movement like schooling fish. So, lots of research to do. If anyone has comments or suggestions I'm more than open to your advice and opinions, especially when it comes to the many possible choices for a tank this size.

0 Not allowed!
    Water like yours you can go either way, let it get soft and acidic which is ideal for most south-american species, or increase the buffer and keep it there which makes rainbows an option

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass 
    Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady for the thing in your signature about saandy hook, i was in elementary during that time. - aquariumlover10 
    Thanks for the bucks!! - SeaLady No Message - RiversGirl New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! - Taurus 
    TGIF! - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Yes! TGIF - Compass TGIF Back at brother. ;-) - Taurus It's almost beer:30. - Taurus 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the kuddo!!

I've seen people keep the Bosemani and Congo's together so it can be done even though they like different water conditions (they look very good together).

Congo's and Rummy noses also look great together and like similer water conditions.

Your right about the Celestial Pearl Danios being to small to keep with the Congo's and Rainbows. They would work with the Rummy nose however.

Some bigger tetra's to consider would be Columbians and Bleeding hearts. Some smaller ones would be Rosy, Lemon, Cardinals and Bloodfins (best schoolers besides the rummy nose IME)

A couple of Dwarf Cichlids and a big school of Cory's to top it off with.

I like small fish so that's my suggestions, somebody else can pitch you some bigger species.

Biggest thing; have fun stocking and enjoy!!
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

“Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.” ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

Awards Showcase

Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass 
    Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady for the thing in your signature about saandy hook, i was in elementary during that time. - aquariumlover10 
    Thanks for the bucks!! - SeaLady No Message - RiversGirl New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! - Taurus 
    TGIF! - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Yes! TGIF - Compass TGIF Back at brother. ;-) - Taurus It's almost beer:30. - Taurus 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Here's an okay video with Congo's and Bosemani.

Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    -Vince Lombardi

“Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.” ― John Wooden

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Christmas!  Hope you and your family have a great one! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 
    Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 I can't send you a real one, sorry for your loses - steeler1 Happy belated Birthday. - steeler58 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Sorry for you loss, wish it was a real one. - steeler58 It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA It's fish flake friday, like the old days!! - steeler58 Beer makes monday not suck so bad.. - Sandz In honor of Steelers 5k posts! - Sandz 
    Couldn't give you rep, yet, but you deserve it with your contributions in the Discus/Angel thread.  Thanks! - KevinVA T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Just for you being you! - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Have a Rummy nose for oldtimes sake ;-) - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    Water like yours you can go either way, let it get soft and acidic which is ideal for most south-american species, or increase the buffer and keep it there which makes rainbows an option
    Thanks talldutchie, I do like a lot of the south-american species and keeping my water soft and acidic is just easier for me in the long run.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by steeler1 View Post
    Congo's and Rummy noses also look great together and like similer water conditions.
    steeler1, really like that idea! the Congo's are beautiful and the the rummy noses are just striking with their coloration!! Thanks for the video, it sold me on the Congos. I'm going to have those Celestial Pearl Danios someday even if I have to do a 20 gallon species tank :D.

Can I have a school of Bolivian Rams and a pair of Dwarf Cichlids together? I'm seriously thinking of 5-7 Bolivians.

Also, what type of Cory is that in the video? It looked like a False Julii but bigger....

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by JudiJetson View Post
    steeler1, really like that idea! the Congo's are beautiful and the the rummy noses are just striking with their coloration!! Thanks for the video, it sold me on the Congos. I'm going to have those Celestial Pearl Danios someday even if I have to do a 20 gallon species tank :D.

Can I have a school of Bolivian Rams and a pair of Dwarf Cichlids together? I'm seriously thinking of 5-7 Bolivians.

Also, what type of Cory is that in the video? It looked like a False Julii but bigger....
    One of the Cories is a Schwartz's Cory the others I'm not sure.

Bolivian rams are one of the most peaceful of dwarf cichlids but are still territorial when spawning. Mojosdope keeps a school of them maybe he could weigh in?
    -Vince Lombardi

0 Not allowed!
    I am very disappointed that this thread had somehow seamed to turned into a heated debate about absolutely nothing the do with this member’s journal.

I deleted all the posts in this thread and would warn others to stop this type of behavior on the forum.

To the OP, my apologies for having to make a post like this in your thread and for some of the posts that I had to delete. Please continue to up-date this thread as I’m looking forward to seeing this tank develop over time. It sure can be exciting to get a new a big tank
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff, I appreciate the apology. I also completely understand the debate, things talked about over a cup of coffee or tea would be much different than issues discussed over a forum. I will absolutely continue to update my journal and look forward to the assistance and knowledge of other members.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    So today I visited the journal of Mojosodope in hopes of learning more about the recently acquired Bolivian Rams and fell head over heels with his Discus. Which got me thinking...Possible stocking list for new tank:

Discus, 4 - 6
    Cardinal Tetras - large school
    Rummy Nose Tetra - good size school
    Sterbai Cory - good size school
    GBR or Bolivian Rams - not sure how many I could have
    Possibly even Pencilfish?

I would need to do more research on filling out the levels properly and the quantity of each school I could have but I'm really liking this possible option. It would give me the "salt water" color I'm looking for the schools of peaceful fish I enjoy watching, my water parameters are also within acceptable range.

I'm gonna continue working on the stocking options, make a spreadsheet with all the necessary species requirements and the pros & cons of what I like until I with the help of our members can get this nailed down. Once the stocking is decided I can then move on to making sure my tank will be layed out properly (plants, rocks, wood...) to fill the requirements of its new family.