· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: 29 gallon Stock

1. Default 29 gallon Stock

0 Not allowed!
    I currently have 10 Neon Tetra, 5 Albino Cory, a couple Ghost Shrimp.

Any good ideas on some additions to add a little variety that are compatible?

Would an angel fit in with this group?

Thanks all!

0 Not allowed!
    You've got a couple of options here.

1. Add more neons. Neons are a shoaling fish and the bigger the shoal, the happier they are. You could easily add another 10 neons without any issues.

2. You could add 5 male cherry barbs and 5 female cherry barbs. With females in the tank the males should color up to a dark red.

3. Add a small, juvenile angel fish. The juvy angel will grown up with the neons and hopefully learn not to see them as food. I wouldn't add an adult angel because it may consider the neons food if they are small, young neons.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

0 Not allowed!
    Thing is, is that tank high enough for an adult angel?

It also depends on the setup of the tank, a planted setup with some wood offers other options than a relatively bare tank. If OP simply wants a dash of colour perhaps a pair of platies? The neons would keep their fry under control

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Not a high tank....18 inches. Do Angels need proportionally high tanks? The tank is decorated with two pieces of driftwood and some natural stone built into an arch. I am also considering a Dwarf Gourami. Should they be kept single, or is it okay to have 2 Gourami?IMG_7507.jpg

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    + to Taurus. He gave you some great options. An angel would work great in that tank.

If you wanted to go with a dw gourami instead, then only 1. two could turn into a problem as they often start battling over territory and it can get ugly.
    So if you went with the DW gourami instead of the angel, and kept your neons around 12 or 15, you could still add the cherry barbs.

Either way, I'd add at least 1 more cory cat. 6 is generally considered the minimum number for a school of cories.
    You could also add a couple apple and or nerites snails for some additional color and interest. both are great additions to any tank.
    Very nice driftwood. You'll have to show us photos when you're stocked!
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    An unplanted bare tank. Ok...

Angels easily get 8 inches high so that should fit. You don't have enough territorial boundaries or shelter for more than 1 gourami.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Plants are next, probably within a few days. I've been doing a lot of research on what lighting and level of care I want for plants.

I think I will go with one Dwarf Gourami, some more Neon , and a few more Albino Cory.

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    This tank reminds me a bit of when Brhino started his 75 gal, just different tank sizes. Looking forward to seeing what plants you choose. You already have some great recommendations from other members on stocking. Keep us updated!
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    I wouldn't recommend an angelfish for a 29g tank. I know a lot of people say 29 gallons is the minimum for one, and I used to think so as well. I had an angel in a 29g with no problems for over a year, then he decided to go on a murdering rampage killing off most of his tank mates. He continued to be very aggressive to anything else in the tank and even lost an eye going after a kuhli loach, until I moved him to a 65 gallon. Once in the bigger tank he calmed down, and I could put any fish I wanted in with him and he was fine. The difference in his behavior was remarkable and I will never advise an angelfish in a 29g again, I don't think it gives them enough territory to claim and the results could be deadly.
    I think you will be happier in the long run with the dwarf gourami.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.