· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Some people rant

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry to go on a rant but I have to vent to people who understand..

On a local facebook page where people buy sell and give advice on fish someone posted a question asking:
    I currently have a 3foot tank and i have the following fish.
    1 x Afra cobue
    1 x kribensis
    1 x Green Terror
    1 x gold severum

I'm upgrading to a 6ft x 18 x 18 tank and i have on order a
    4 x EBDJ
    1 x black ghost knife
    1 x gibby
    3 x clown loaches
    1x red tail shark
    and some discus
    what else can i add.
    And don't tell me these fish don't do together I have had them happily living together for 3 years and not one fish has died.
    I kindly said that i know she said she didn't want to hear about it but there a few major issues and some small ones.
    I started with the fact that when fully grown those fish are going to be too big for the tank and the BGK is too big by itself
    There are a lot of bottom dwellers so territory will be an issue the afra cobue is just NO!.

She said she was willing to re-home (unlikely but whatever)
    And i just said ok whatever you do please re-home the afra it simply does not belong, she said it has been happy for 3 years so why should she move it. I put all her fish in aqua adviser and linked it to her. She didn't care. Someone else chimed in with if you can't give a good reason for it to be re-homed why should it and don't comment. How is way incorrect water conditions no a good reason?

Oh and i forgot to mention about 18 months ago this same lady bought a breeding pair of kribensis off me and said will they be ok with a red tail shark cause that's all she had in her tank which I said no and she said she will try it anyway. So she is lying about the 3 years, she claimed her friend liked her krib and kidnapped one, and the red tail was fighting with other fish so she re-homed it.

Seriously how can she be so ignorant!!!!
    6ft Australian Fresh water turtle tank - 2 macleay river turtles, numerous guppy at varying stages of development.

5ft 150gal planted discus tank - 8 discus, 10 cardinal tetras, 10 rummnose, 6 albino cories, and breeding RCS in tank sump and just about everywhere everything done from scratch, filtration and stand tank
    journal @
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=101658

0 Not allowed!
    There really isn't anyway to get through to people that don't want to hear it. Let her waste her money on the cost of all the fish and get frustrated. Mention once that you don't think it will work, and just hope the fish don't suffer too long.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Argh the stocking is bad without the afra, but the afra made me angry, I want to ask for a photo and ask her definition of a healthy fish because I bet it aint healthy or happy given most Melbourne, Australia water is coming out at 2 GH and 6.9 Ph at the moment
    6ft Australian Fresh water turtle tank - 2 macleay river turtles, numerous guppy at varying stages of development.

5ft 150gal planted discus tank - 8 discus, 10 cardinal tetras, 10 rummnose, 6 albino cories, and breeding RCS in tank sump and just about everywhere everything done from scratch, filtration and stand tank
    journal @

Arrow

0 Not allowed!
    Don't argue with idiots, They will drag you down to their playing level and beat you with experience.

[I fail at resisting this temptation often so I can't blame you for trying lol.]

To answer her question: "what else can i add. [sic]"

The only genuinely helpful answer [IF she would choose to apply it] is this:

I would absolutely add some research about the tank/care requirements of the stock you already own so that you can go about deciding which you are going to keep since you do not have a large enough tank to house them all as it is.

Or conversely you could go the distance with her and call her out on the timeframe she lied about using relevant references and source a bunch of info about her stock choices from good sources and dump them in her lap AND.... in the end she will still do whatever stupid thing she wants and you will have wasted a bunch of time and effort for nothing...

Just saying...
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    She is really mature she deleted the post soon after this happened, I have told her and I'm still in the group i'll be seeing issues posted in a few weeks and i'll just laugh

journal @

0 Not allowed!
    Because she said it herself.........she simply "did not want to hear" her fish were terribly matched up.
    She knows it all and when they know it all, save your breath and move on. When they think they know everything, there is no room to grow mentally.

0 Not allowed!
    Very well said, LH. =]
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I agree with everything said in this thread...

That's like one of my local friends asking...HOW DO YOU KEEP YOUR TANKS SO CLEAN?

I didn't answer because i would have to do the rant thing as i was already polite initially. This friend of mine has 6 goldfish and i believe a koi fish that he'd brought in from his outdoor pond in the winter...he initially had NO filtration and had all of them in a 30 gallon tank.

I don't know if he's done what i told him and invested in bigger tanks. I know he at least bought the filter for the thirty gallon, though i'm afraid to ask if it was just the one for the thirty gallon or if he was smart and got one that was double that strength.

I do know he has an issue cleaning the tanks like he's supposed to.

Yeah it's kinda like that...

20 gallon tall - 3 paska's red rainbow, 8 harlequin rasbora, 2 algae eating shrimp, 4 cherry shrimp, 2 nerite snail, 2 blueberry shrimp, 1 bronze cory, 1 peppered cory, 1 julii cory, 2 pc driftwood planted with anubias and narrowleaf java fern.
    Other plants in tank - 1 bunch anacharis, 1 bunch water wysteria, 1 package of B. Caroliniana, 1 Crypto Luten, 1 red wendii, Mossball.
    Cinnamon = 9 year old Siamese Cat[
    1 Rat - Domino aka Domi
    1 Robo hamster - Spice

0 Not allowed!
    People like that drain my energy, and fill me with frustration.

Anytime I walk into my local PetLand I have to plug my ears and walk away from anyone getting advice from an employee.

I hate to offer good advice, and subsequently be made to feel like an idiot when I walk away.

Some people don't want advice, they want someone to confirm what they want to hear.

Another thought --- you should totally add a bunch of us to that group. They wouldn't know what hit em!
    Last edited by MandyK; 04-11-2013 at 09:13 PM.
    130g: 4 Angelfish, 2 Roseline Sharks, 5 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Mandy truer words have never been spoken...Also we may need to bring along a couple sledgehammers or ropes that when pulled open up to bottomless pits?

20 gallon tall - 3 paska's red rainbow, 8 harlequin rasbora, 2 algae eating shrimp, 4 cherry shrimp, 2 nerite snail, 2 blueberry shrimp, 1 bronze cory, 1 peppered cory, 1 julii cory, 2 pc driftwood planted with anubias and narrowleaf java fern.
    Other plants in tank - 1 bunch anacharis, 1 bunch water wysteria, 1 package of B. Caroliniana, 1 Crypto Luten, 1 red wendii, Mossball.
    Cinnamon = 9 year old Siamese Cat[
    1 Rat - Domino aka Domi
    1 Robo hamster - Spice