· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

A toast to your next year! - imma24 Happy Anniversary. - Strider199 <3 - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For being the 1500th poster to my thread!..thanks! - Slaphppy7 
    For the safe arrival of Judi's Discus!! - steeler1 Thanks for all your help - JoeH Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Happy Holidays! - Rue Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Congratulations, on MOTM!! - steeler1 
    Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    Your kids will love a bristlenose pleco. As talldutchie said, they stay about 5 inches as an adult and get really cool bristles on their lip. Males also get bristles going up the front of the face. My 2 are the Calico or Marble pattern. They eat Omega One Veggie Rounds, broccoli, shelled peas and watermelon. They are very active and really cool fish.

My larger (almost 3 inches) BN finishing up his broccoli stalk. He's just starting to grow bristles.

2013-04-06 21.52.26.jpg
    Last edited by gronlaura; 04-10-2013 at 09:32 PM.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - 10 Gold Pristella Tetras, 4 Scissortail Rasboras, 9 Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, 5 Longfin Zebra Danios and 2 Regular Fin
    My Dual 29 gals, a work in progress - Tank 1 - Amano Shrimp, RCS, Peppered Cories, Tank 2 - Glowlight Danios and a Calico BNP

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    thanks for the help. this little guy will have to go back. Will look into a bristlenose pleco for my daughter instead. So for now the plan is to get a better filter (figured out this one only filter 37 gal so I need a bigger one), get a few more barbs to make them comfortable, return this pleco and possibly get a bristlenose pleco. I also need to get some plants (I know I saw a suggestion for that, will look at that suggestion in a moment.

Now... one last question while its on my mind. The kids put some decorations in the tank. Is there anything I need to know about decorations. Are they going to be an issue or are they OK? And while on that topic, since I will be putting some plants in, is there any specific thing that would be best for the um, I think the word was substrate? We have hideous multi-colored gravel right now (I really hate it... its the ONE thing that really irritates me is the bright neon colors of the gravel)

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    and since I just saw that someone asked for a pic of the barbs, heres the best I can get with my phone.

Sorry, I'm flat exhausted. its been a long week, I'm trying to do the best I can for these guys and sometimes it takes a bit for info to register in my head. lol

Awards Showcase

A toast to your next year! - imma24 Happy Anniversary. - Strider199 <3 - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For being the 1500th poster to my thread!..thanks! - Slaphppy7 
    For the safe arrival of Judi's Discus!! - steeler1 Thanks for all your help - JoeH Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Happy Holidays! - Rue Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Congratulations, on MOTM!! - steeler1 
    Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by skyrider View Post
    thanks for the help. this little guy will have to go back. Will look into a bristlenose pleco for my daughter instead. So for now the plan is to get a better filter (figured out this one only filter 37 gal so I need a bigger one), get a few more barbs to make them comfortable, return this pleco and possibly get a bristlenose pleco. I also need to get some plants (I know I saw a suggestion for that, will look at that suggestion in a moment.

Now... one last question while its on my mind. The kids put some decorations in the tank. Is there anything I need to know about decorations. Are they going to be an issue or are they OK? And while on that topic, since I will be putting some plants in, is there any specific thing that would be best for the um, I think the word was substrate? We have hideous multi-colored gravel right now (I really hate it... its the ONE thing that really irritates me is the bright neon colors of the gravel)
    Best to use only decor that is aquarium safe. If it's from other than the fish dept, it should say "aquarium safe". If you have a petsmart near you, they have a nice selection of decor that your daughter might like (you, too). I purchased my rocks and most of my artificial plants there (are you going live or artificial?). Maybe add a neutral color substrate to tone down the neon?
    Last edited by gronlaura; 04-10-2013 at 10:42 PM.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - 10 Gold Pristella Tetras, 4 Scissortail Rasboras, 9 Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, 5 Longfin Zebra Danios and 2 Regular Fin
    My Dual 29 gals, a work in progress - Tank 1 - Amano Shrimp, RCS, Peppered Cories, Tank 2 - Glowlight Danios and a Calico BNP

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by gronlaura View Post
    Best to use only decor that is aquarium safe. If it's from other than the fish dept, it should say "aquarium safe". If you have a petsmart near you, they have a nice selection of decor that your daughter might like (you, too). I purchased my rocks and most of my artificial plants there (are you going live or artificial?). Maybe add a neutral color substrate to tone down the neon?
    I would love to go with live... I tend to not like things fake in my house. lol I don't even have silk houseplants but take the time for real houseplants. BUT before I do, I will do some research.

I just want the neon gone. I hate it that much. I find the mix of insanely neon colors to be irritating.

So i guess what would be the best to use for live plants and how do I go about changing it and setting up for live plants before i get them.

I'm trying to research for myself but have hit a roadblock in trying to make sensible searches.

0 Not allowed!
    I'd say it's first tank and a family tank at that, don't overdo it. Get some other gravel to tone down the clow vomit a bit. Buy a few simple plants and a pack of root tabs and use those. Water sprite, eloda, cabomba are pretty much bullet proof.

0 Not allowed!
    Wait sorry, let me pump the gas here for a sec.

You said a friend cycled the tank for you? Can you find out how?

Many people are of the misconception that "cycling" a tank means letting it run for a day or two with water in it. If that was all that was done before fish were added, then you are currently cycling this tank with fish in it. If that is the case, then you have a big decision to make.

There are two main ways to cycle. With fish or without fish. Cycling with fish takes longer and is hard on the fish as they are exposed to toxins in their environment for several weeks during the process. Not to mention that it often requires large (50%+) daily water changes and it is possible some of the fish will die in the process (this would be the likely cause of death for the barbs nobody admitted to buying).

Cycling without fish would require that you return all the fish and dose the tank with ammonia for a few weeks. This one is faster, less stressful and won't kill any fish. The downside to that one is that it will require everyone to refrain from buying fish until it's ready and returning the fish you already have will probably be a hard sell to your family since they have grown attached to them.

You can read the stickies in the cycling forum about both types of cycling to help you make this decision if indeed your friend did not actually cycle it fully for you.

If your tank wasn't properly cycled then you do not want to add any fish at all until it is. Especially the pleco. As a bottom dweller he is particularly sensitive to high ammonia and nitrite levels and is the first fish you would lose in the process.
    ~Manna
    10 gallon live planted aquarium with 6 neons
    90 gallon fw community in progress

0 Not allowed!
    Valid point. Otoh this has been running long enough now that even a fish in should have been finished by now I think.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    A pleco is going to also need some driftwood to rasp on. So a simple way to start with live plants is to get some anubias or java fern and tie them onto a piece of driftwood with cotton thread or fishline. They have a rhizome which should not be planted in substrate. They are slow growers, but easy and should do well with the stock lighting that came with the tank.

Depending on the driftwood, you may have to soak it for a while to get it to sink. It may also leach tanins making the water looked tea stained. This will also dissipate through soaking, but does no harm in the tank. The weekly water changes you will be doing will remove the tanins until the wood stops leaching.

0 Not allowed!
    While it is true that some species of loricarridae need wood it is highly doubtful if Ancistrus is one of them. And even for the species where substantial amounts of cellulose are found it the gut there's now debate if this isn't accidental when they scrape the wood for aufwuchs. However, they will really enjoy it both to sit on and hide behind. And tying some plants to it is an easy way to get some live plants in your tank.
    Tiger barbs will appreciate a touch of tannin in their water.