· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default New to this with 37 gal tank

0 Not allowed!
    To make a long story short... I was away for 3 months and came home to find husband and older children had gotten our youngest child a 37 gal fish tank, and fish.

I have never in my life had any fish. My husband has but its been a while and to be honest, from what I have tried to read and learn, I really don't think he has a clue what he's doing for the most part.

So I have been trying to learn as much as possible as quick as possible so these little guys have the best environment possible. What I know so far is a friend set up and cycled the tank. Grandma took the older kids to buy fish and came home with tiger barbs, green barbs (??) and Pink Barbs. No one will admit it but I suspect they originally bought 3 of each and lost 1 pink and 2 green barbs, leaving the tank with 3 tiger barbs, 2 pink barbs, and 1 green barb. Again, I can't get anyone in this house to tell me for certain. Then at some point husband also bought a pleco and put that in the tank. Kids tell me that came after the barbs had been there for a while.

I know to do 25% water changes weekly, and have been doing that since I arrived home. Other than that, I feel clueless as to what I am doing. So suggestions and advice will be greatly appreciated! I suspect they were done much less frequently prior to me coming home and going research crazed.

Some specific questions...

1 - how do I know what filter I have? husband said the one we have came with the tank but I have no idea what we have since I was not there.

2 - feeding these guys. I read somewhere that flakes is not all these guys need, to give blood worms. Is this correct?

3 - basic tank maintenance? What do I need to do?

4 - I'm uneasy about having a pleco since a friend tells me that they need bigger tanks than what we have. Should this guy be OK or should I look into upgrading the tank over time?

5 - Our temp is about 78 F. Husband states this is what he was told at the fish store. The fish are all active, but just want to verify.

6 - eventually I'd like some other fish. Is there anything compatible with what we have?

7 - How frequently should I test the water? I know the liquid test kit is better than strips so i did manage to get that and test the water.

8 - Any thing else I should know or do?

Thanks for any help. Any questions for me that would help you answer my questions, I will gladly answer. I just want to make sure I do right by these little guys. They are kinda growing on me at this point now that the initial shock of "by the way we have fish" has worn off.

0 Not allowed!
    Some specific questions...

1 - how do I know what filter I have? husband said the one we have came with the tank but I have no idea what we have since I was not there.
    Post a picture of your filter and I am sure someone here will recognize it

2 - feeding these guys. I read somewhere that flakes is not all these guys need, to give blood worms. Is this correct?
    Stick with good quality pellets or flakes and maybe blood worms as the occasional treat once or twice a week

3 - basic tank maintenance? What do I need to do?
    Most of us stick with weeky water changes of 50%, vacum at least 1/3 of the substrate with each weekly water changes, and a monthly cleaning of the filter in old tank water. Your water change amount may nee to change based on you nitrate test results

4 - I'm uneasy about having a pleco since a friend tells me that they need bigger tanks than what we have. Should this guy be OK or should I look into upgrading the tank over time?
    It all depends on what type of pleco you have. If it is a common pleco then it will soon outgrow your tank. If you are not sure what type of pleco you have, post a pic of it and we can help

5 - Our temp is about 78 F. Husband states this is what he was told at the fish store. The fish are all active, but just want to verify
    For tropical fish, 78F is fine

6 - eventually I'd like some other fish. Is there anything compatible with what we have?
    Can you post some pics of your barbs? They are a schooling fish and you best option might be to increase the school size to make sure your current fish will feel safe.

7 - How frequently should I test the water? I know the liquid test kit is better than strips so i did manage to get that and test the water.
    Get a good liquid test kit and follow the instructions on the kit. I would recommend to start testing weekly. If your nitrates get close to 40ppm, increase your weekly water change amount to keep it at 20ppm or less. If you get any ammonia and / or nitrites, complete water changes to bring those two level below 0.25ppm, and start testing daily

8 - Any thing else I should know or do?
    Read-up on the fish you have and post any questions you may have here
    Last edited by Cliff; 04-09-2013 at 11:31 AM.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    First of all, compliments on your intentions and the way you're dealing with this surprise.

Tiger barbs have a colour variety called the green barb and an albino version which is often sold as pink barb. These fish are colour blind when it comes to that and should school together. Ideally you'd want 2 or 3 more to keep a nice sized group. Bit of a rowdy species at times so don't go for anything timid or with long flowing fins. Here's a good species profile. http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/puntius-tetrazona/

These guys prefer some plants so if you got some lights plant something simple, water sprite for example.

A "pleco" worries me a bit. In the US of A this often means a Hypostomus species and those tend to get big, 8-10 inches easily. If you want to treat that fish right you'd need to identify it and for that we'd need a good picture or two.

0 Not allowed!
    Agree with all posts above.

Regarding your filter, it's important to know what filter you have so we can tell you if you have enough for your tank. In general, it is recommended to have enough filtration for double your tank size - therefore, double 37 gal is 74 so filtration for at least 75-80gal.

Many of us here on the forum use the API freshwater kit - it contains everything you need to check your water parameters. Your filter is growing bacteria (and going through the cycling process) which consume the fish's ammonia. It's important to make sure that your ammonia level stays at no more than .25ppm - the ammonia feeds existing bacteria and grows new bacteria so you need some there but if it goes too high, it could stress your fish.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks everyone. I will get pictures once I get home, most likely tonight or tomorrow.

And if I need to buy a few more fish, I'm more than willing to do so. My kids would also be thrilled with that!

Thanks for the help!

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    OK, I have figured out we will need a new filter. Will work on that this week. As for the pleco... heres a picture. He's currently about 2-3 inches.

0 Not allowed!
    All fish start off small - they are sold as juveniles - it's important to make sure your fish will stay comfortable in your tank size-wise.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

0 Not allowed!
    Difficult to say from just this angle, a side view would make things a LOT easier. There's a good chance you got suckered into buying a tank buster from the Hypostomus family but I'm reserving jdugement until I see a side view.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    OK heres a side view.

Whatever it IS, its my husband who got suckered in my by daughter who calls it her "sucker fish" and "allergy eater" and I have NO issues with returning it if need be or considering a bigger tank. I am a firm believer in taking proper care of any and all live things, and despite the fact that this was originally not a welcome surprise, I find it very peaceful to have a tank so I want to make sure I also have peace knowing I am taking proper care of the fish we have.

0 Not allowed!
    I'm concerned this may well be a hypostomus of some kind. Does it have a big dorsal fin and a slightly u-shaped tail?

Like that?

I think returning it and seeing if they have an ancistrus or bristlenose pleco for you. Same general idea except they're almost entirely vegetarian and the common species maxes out at 5, 6 inches.