· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Blood Parrot Black spot disease

0 Not allowed!
    I have had two blood parrots for about 4 years. I recently tried to put them in my 55g tank with some other cichlids. I don't know if they attacked his fins to the point that he couldn't be upright or if he had temporary swim bladder. Well so they would leave him alone I moved him back to the original tank and he has started with black spots. I initially thought it was fungus bc it started out gray. So I have been treating the tank for fungus. Well now this stuff on him has spread. Everything I read about blood parrots and spots say it has to do with the water quality. The quality of the water is good. Ph is 7.8 and the Nitrate Nitrite and Ammonia are 0. Is there anything else I can do for my fish?

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Your post is a little unclear so I'll recap what I think you said.
    you moved your 2 blood parrots in with some other cichlids then saw problems with one of your BP/s. Then you moved that BP back into his original tank.
    The BP in question now has black spots spreading on him.
    If that's the case, photos would help.

What type of cichlids did you place the BP with? Is the other BP still in the tank with the other cichlids or is it back with the other BP in their original tank? How large is the original tank the BPs were in?

In the meantime are the spots here and there on his body and fins and tail? Do they appear to be moving a bit? Is the discoloration in patches or actual spots?

If the discoloration is in patches and appears to be moving a bit, I would say your BP is simply showing signs of stress. I have 3 BP's and when my tank had an issue with ich a while back 2 of them got dark blotches on them. I read up on black spot disease then and the symptoms didn't fit. After a week or so, the dark splotches simply went away. Anther time, one of my BP's got dark splotches again - this was shortly after I introduced a new fish to the tank. Again - I believe stress was the issue as the splotches eventually went away. This 'discoloration' is typical of BP's under stress.
    Please get back to us regarding the questions I asked but in the meantime I would continue to monitor and do frequent water changes just to insure water quality isn't an issue. I'd also put the other BP back in the original tank. If stress is the issue, being without his partner/buddy will add stress to both BP's.
    Last edited by fishmommie; 04-09-2013 at 02:37 PM.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, pair kribs, & nerite snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: EBJD, congos, apple snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492