· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    Rant all you like but this is just not true.

An eheim classic is not cheap plastic and definitely does not have low flow rate if you use common sense in stocking. (not ram it in as tight as it will go) Same goes for the '06 fluval series. Competent filters that with a bit of reasonable care will last you a very long time indeed. We also have quite a few happy Rena XP users here.

Well I was just going by the reviews I saw. But it seems like you are right. User error seems to be the culprit in most cases. Right up there with lack of proper maintenance.

After reading into some of the negative reviews it seems I was a little hasty.

My Bad.

Dave...

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs View Post
    Not sure where you got that information but a canister holds far more media for bacteria to grow in than any HOTB. They are dead silent and the water comes out from the side (or spraybar) rather than straight down. If you do go with another Aqua Clear 110, that's fine, but you may want to plant taller growing plants in an area that doesn't get beaten down by the cascade of water falling.

My canisters are now 8 years old and I've never had to replace one thing on them.

Points well taken.

Dave...

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by gronlaura View Post
    If at a later time I decide to get a canister, the Rena XP3 is my choice, for reliability and ease of use.
    I'm leaning that way myself. Plus its a little cheaper than the others mentioned.

Dave...

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well I did I water test yesterday and my Nitrites are still off the charts and the ammonia level is almost zero. I will check again this afternoon. I ordered a new light and a python water changer yesterday. Once the light gets here I'm going to get some plants started. I can't wait to see how the new light looks.

I have the API master test kit and I ordered the GH & KH test kit yesterday. What other test kits should I have for a planted tank?

Thank you, Dave...

0 Not allowed!
    The aquascaping fanatics also test for iron and phosphate but IMO that's not that necessary.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The aquascaping fanatics also test for iron and phosphate but IMO that's not that necessary.

Ok Great.

I just purchased a Rena 722 Filstar XP 3 and another heater. Catalina Titanium 300 watt. I have a new Fluval 300watt that can barely keep the tank at 80 degrees.

Dave...

0 Not allowed!
    80 is warm enough for a lot of fish and too warm for quite a few.
    Atlanta... do you have your aircon set to artic?

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    80 is warm enough for a lot of fish and too warm for quite a few.
    Atlanta... do you have your aircon set to artic?
    LOL. Arctic.... No I don't even have the AC on at the moment. Its spring here and beautiful. I have the temp on the Fluval turned all the way up to 86 (as far as it will go) and the tank temp varies from 79 to 80. It seems its a common problem with the model I have. I may take it back to the store where I got it. Or just leave both running in case one breaks.

I also figured I may need to raise the temp above 80 in the event of an Ick outbreak. Right now I couldn't do that.

Dave...

0 Not allowed!
    Right, I see. Well...it's another motivation to do your best to prevent ich.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Right, I see. Well...it's another motivation to do your best to prevent ich.

I was just looking at your tank build and pics. You have a beautiful tank and your camera work is awesome. I hope my tank turns out half as good.

Dave...