· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    I would suggest searching online stores to save you money. I have purchased at a few places online but now exclusively I shop at Pet Solutions. Always free shipping after $49.

I would also invest in a python water changer. It goes from sink to tank to pull water out and to refill. Prime is a great dechlorinator and concentrated and takes far less Prime than all the others on the market.

Good luck and your reading is already paying off. Nice going on the research. I'm glad you are not getting Oscars again as only one is good in a 75 gallon. Your original tank was most likely somewhat overcrowded.

Welcome to AC.

Awards Showcase

A toast to your next year! - imma24 Happy Anniversary. - Strider199 <3 - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For being the 1500th poster to my thread!..thanks! - Slaphppy7 
    For the safe arrival of Judi's Discus!! - steeler1 Thanks for all your help - JoeH Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Happy Holidays! - Rue Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Congratulations, on MOTM!! - steeler1 
    Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by landscaper View Post
    Hello Laura,

Thank You!

Ya know I've been researching filters and I think I'm going to add a Canister. But I've been reading mixed reviews on everyone of them. LOL. So I don't know. Money is a concern, but I would rather get something that is going to work great with little to no headaches than regret the purchase. You know the old saying....Scream Once! LOL. I need to do more research.

Thanks again.

Dave...
    Either 2 AC110s or an AC110 and a canister (maybe a Rena XP3) would work. I got all my equipment at www.thatpetplace.com. They had the best prices on the Aqua Clear HOB filters and Rena canisters. I was going to go with the AC110 and the Rena XP3, but decided on 2 AC110s to get the best circulation and aeration. If you fill the tank so the bottom of the AC110 waterfall is about 1/4 inch under water it creates great surface movement.
    Last edited by gronlaura; 04-09-2013 at 08:13 PM.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - 10 Gold Pristella Tetras, 4 Scissortail Rasboras, 9 Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, 5 Longfin Zebra Danios and 2 Regular Fin
    My Dual 29 gals, a work in progress - Tank 1 - Amano Shrimp, Peppered Cories, Tank 2 - Glowlight Danios and a Calico BNP

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs View Post
    I would suggest searching online stores to save you money. I have purchased at a few places online but now exclusively I shop at Pet Solutions. Always free shipping after $49.

I would also invest in a python water changer. It goes from sink to tank to pull water out and to refill. Prime is a great dechlorinator and concentrated and takes far less Prime than all the others on the market.

Good luck and your reading is already paying off. Nice going on the research. I'm glad you are not getting Oscars again as only one is good in a 75 gallon. Your original tank was most likely somewhat overcrowded.

Welcome to AC.

Hello Lady Hobbs,

Thanks for the welcome and the tips. The python is on the list. Definitely getting that.

Thanks, Dave...

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by gronlaura View Post
    Either 2 AC110s or an AC110 and a canister (maybe a Rena XP3) would work. I got all my equipment at www.thatpetplace.com. They had the best prices on the Aqua Clear HOB filters and Rena canisters. I was going to go with the AC110 and the Rena XP3, but decided on 2 AC110s to get the best circulation and aeration. If you fill the tank so the bottom of the AC110 waterfall is about 1/4 inch under water it creates great surface movement.
    I may go the same route as you with two AC110s. From what I have been reading about the different canisters like Ehiem 2217, Fluval 405,406, Filstar xp3 etc. They all have problems. Cheap plastic....Made in China.....Leaks.....Low flow rates after installing media....and on and on and on.

Its too bad that the manufacturers are overcharging customers for cheap junk. I do my homework before I make a purchase, especially when I'm spending a good chunk of change. I haven't seen one that has positive reviews. I even looked at the FX5....overkill probably for me but even that one has a problem with Mico bubbles because of too much power.

And what really bugs me is these manufactures know of the problems but continue to sell them. It seems there is no customer service with any of them. What's this country coming to? Where is the pride and quality?

Oh well....end of rant.

Dave...

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Just did a test on my water this morning. Ammonia approximately 1.0 ppm. Nitrite at 5 ppm or off the chart. Hard to tell. I guess I'm going in the right direction.

Dave...

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by landscaper View Post
    I may go the same route as you with two AC110s. From what I have been reading about the different canisters like Ehiem 2217, Fluval 405,406, Filstar xp3 etc. They all have problems. Cheap plastic....Made in China.....Leaks.....Low flow rates after installing media....and on and on and on. .
    Rant all you like but this is just not true.

An eheim classic is not cheap plastic and definitely does not have low flow rate if you use common sense in stocking. (not ram it in as tight as it will go) Same goes for the '06 fluval series. Competent filters that with a bit of reasonable care will last you a very long time indeed. We also have quite a few happy Rena XP users here.

0 Not allowed!
    Not sure where you got that information but a canister holds far more media for bacteria to grow in than any HOTB. They are dead silent and the water comes out from the side (or spraybar) rather than straight down. If you do go with another Aqua Clear 110, that's fine, but you may want to plant taller growing plants in an area that doesn't get beaten down by the cascade of water falling.

My canisters are now 8 years old and I've never had to replace one thing on them.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    Rant all you like but this is just not true.

An eheim classic is not cheap plastic and definitely does not have low flow rate if you use common sense in stocking. (not ram it in as tight as it will go) Same goes for the '06 fluval series. Competent filters that with a bit of reasonable care will last you a very long time indeed. We also have quite a few happy Rena XP users here.
    My Rena XP3 is Awesome, Quiet and easy to clean and maintain!
    Mike
    120g Mixed Reef In Progress
    120g Reef Journal
    55g Freshwater - Out of Service
    My 55g Tank Remodel Project
    72g Bowfront -Out of Service

0 Not allowed!
    You were probably one of the xp users I had in mind when I wrote that. I've never even seen one so I can't comment on those. Personally I'm still a big fan of eheim because of their quality, versatility and the ease of getting parts for them where I live. It's nice to be able to pop into any LFS when I was ham fisted and broke a shaft.

Awards Showcase

A toast to your next year! - imma24 Happy Anniversary. - Strider199 <3 - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For being the 1500th poster to my thread!..thanks! - Slaphppy7 
    For the safe arrival of Judi's Discus!! - steeler1 Thanks for all your help - JoeH Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Happy Holidays! - Rue Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Congratulations, on MOTM!! - steeler1 
    Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mrramsey View Post
    My Rena XP3 is Awesome, Quiet and easy to clean and maintain!
    If at a later time I decide to get a canister, the Rena XP3 is my choice, for reliability and ease of use.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - 10 Gold Pristella Tetras, 4 Scissortail Rasboras, 9 Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, 5 Longfin Zebra Danios and 2 Regular Fin
    My Dual 29 gals, a work in progress - Tank 1 - Amano Shrimp, Peppered Cories, Tank 2 - Glowlight Danios and a Calico BNP

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"