· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
  1. Default Landscapers 75 Gallon

0 Not allowed!
    Well let me tell you a little about my tank. Many moons ago (15 years or more) I purchased this tank. I had it set up with just simple grave, fake plants, and some cheesy ornaments. Its been so long since I had it set up I forgot most of everything I knew about keeping freshwater fish. So when I did have this tank setup I had 2 Tiger Oscars, 1 Pleco, and 1 Silver Channel Catfish. I purchased all of the fish at the same time and as you know they grew huge over the years. But they were happy and so was I. I think I may have some old pictures somewhere stuffed in a box...but not sure I could find them.

Anyway.....The two Oscars where Felix and Oscar....Murray was the Pleco.....and Speed was the Catfish. What can I say, I liked the Odd Couple and thought that was clever at the time. When I purchased the little guys they all were only an inch or so long. I really didn't know how big they would get but they ended up getting around 10 inches long and fat. I used to feed them left over bait fish when I finished fishing on the weekends. But most of the time I fed them the normal red pellets. I used to love to watch them hunt down the bait fish. But I digress.

I don't remember how long I had them all but it had to be 6 or 7 years. People say fish aren't very smart but these guys were smart. One went blind when he got old and I used to hand feed him. I loved that little guy. But eventually he died. Maybe a year later the other one died too, I think it was just old age. Not sure how long they live. The Pleco and the Catfish were given to a friend when I moved from the Northeast to down South. The tank has been sitting since 1998 and due to time constraints I never set it back up. Soooooooo....here we are up to a few weeks ago when I got a wild hair and decided it was time to dust her off and get back into it.

I really love the look of a nice tank. It is so relaxing to look at. Better than watching the idiot box. I could look at it for hours. I remember just sitting there at the end of the day with nothing on but my tank light watching my buddies. These guys were like dogs or cats....they would greet me when I came home and wag their little tails....it was fun. Of course the Pleco and the Catfish couldn't care less but they were cool too. I'm an animal lover and I would most times rather be around my animals than most people. I have 4 cats and they are my best buddies.

I'm rambling again. Tend to do that sometimes.

So on March 30, 2013 I cleaned the old tank up and started the process of setting it up. But one problem...I don't know what I'm doing. Sooooooo....off to the internet I went and stumbled upon this wonderful forum. Been lurking for a while and decided to start a journal which will be followed by lots of questions I'm sure. After looking at all the beautiful tanks on here and doing some research I decided I would like to have a natural looking tank with live plants. I don't want something too fussy but I don't mind putting some time into either. I purchased an aquaclear 110 and some driftwood and picked up some rocks out of my yard. Rocks I've been throwing out of my garden...LOl. Found some nice ones or at least what I thought were nice. Did the vinegar test and seemed Ok. I put down 2 bags of Floramax 15 lbs. and 2 25 lb. bags of Carab See gravel....80lbs. total. After doing some research I started my fishless cycle a week after my tank was full of water. I added my dechlorinator and 5 tbs. of Ammonia until I reached approximately 4 ppm of Ammonia.

That was on 4-2-2013. I had to purchase a new heater (300watt) and when I started the temp was around 70 degrees. I upped the temp to 80 and that is where its been since. I also purchased the API Master Test Kit and today I tested the water and the Ammonia level was at 2 ppm. and the Nitrites are at .50ppm. Getting somewhere now. I did read the cycling sticky. Thanks for that. I know when I originally set this tank up I just declorinated the water and brought it to the proper temps and Ph and put the fish in. I guess I was lucky back then.

More to come. Just want to say thanks to all you guys and gals before I forget.

Dave...

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hi and welcome. I too have had aquariums in the past, but just recently started learning on how to properly care for one. I am sure a few more people will chime in but I have a couple coments.

Oscars are great fish but if you plan on doing a planted tank you might consider other fish. They will most likely destroy any plants you put in your aquarium.

Also, oscars can live from 10 to 15 years, or at least that is what I have been told.
    It is posible that if you never cycled your tank way back when you started it that you could have shortened their life span. A fish that is used to cyle a tank usually have stunted growth, shortened life spans, or many dont make it through the cycle at all. I think you were fortunate they lasted so many years being they lived through the first cycle of the tank.

Good luck on your new set up and good job on trying a fishless cycle, your new fish will apreciate that alot.....

LionelC

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by LionelC View Post
    Hi and welcome. I too have had aquariums in the past, but just recently started learning on how to properly care for one. I am sure a few more people will chime in but I have a couple coments.

Oscars are great fish but if you plan on doing a planted tank you might consider other fish. They will most likely destroy any plants you put in your aquarium.

Also, oscars can live from 10 to 15 years, or at least that is what I have been told.
    It is posible that if you never cycled your tank way back when you started it that you could have shortened their life span. A fish that is used to cyle a tank usually have stunted growth, shortened life spans, or many dont make it through the cycle at all. I think you were fortunate they lasted so many years being they lived through the first cycle of the tank.

Good luck on your new set up and good job on trying a fishless cycle, your new fish will apreciate that alot.....

LionelC
    Hello LionelC,

Thank you for the comments. Yes I know how destructive those guys can be. I won't be getting anything like that this time around. I was thinking of a colorful community tank of small fish this time around. I need to do more research on fish.

Good luck to you too.

Dave...

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I just got back into this hobby after a long hiatus myself. I forgot how much I used to love it. It's much better now with all of the information out there, so it's easier to do it all right. What size is your tank? I'm looking forward to seeing what you decide to stock it with.

Awards Showcase

Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED 
    For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl 
    I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 For being my 7,000th poster! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF - steeler58 TGIF! - showmebutterfly TGIF! - wgoldfarb T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 thanks for the tip on the ammonia alert.  it's great for cycling with fish. - fishmommie 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome! I started my very first aquarium last December. The forum members have kept me on the right track with great advice and suggestions.

Great choice on the AC110 for filtration. To have 2X your tank size (150 gal) you will need another filter. Are you thinking another HOB or canister? I have 2 AC110s on my 75 gal and they are great. I use the sponge that came with them and the rest is filled with Fluval Bio Max. Will be following your journal. Good luck!
    Last edited by gronlaura; 04-09-2013 at 06:11 PM.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Leopard & Zebra Danios, Wild Caught BNP
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Harlequin Rasboras
    Future 40 Long - Rummynose Tetras and Cories

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

0 Not allowed!
    Everyone here will appreciate that you are taking your time and reading up on some of this stuff. I second the above post regarding adding a second filter, if budget is an issue I'd check craigslist for one if you can.

As for plants I recommend starting off with simple ones first, if you get to complicated of ones you will need CO2 ferts and a good light, if you just have a plain light you can get some basic plants (anubias, java moss, java fern) but we can get into that later.

Do you know what sort of fish you would like, the tank was over stocked before, even though it worked, I believe the fish could have lived much longer if in a larger set up. I have heard ppl say that a 75g is min tank size for 1 oscar, but I don't have experience with them.

Good luck, can't wait to watch this progress

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mooveebuff View Post
    I just got back into this hobby after a long hiatus myself. I forgot how much I used to love it. It's much better now with all of the information out there, so it's easier to do it all right. What size is your tank? I'm looking forward to seeing what you decide to stock it with.
    Hello Mooveebuff,

My tank is a 75 gallon. This place is great. Lots of helpful folks. I'm not sure yet as far as fish goes, but I will be doing some research and asking some questions when that time comes. I'm going to be taking it slow.

Dave...

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by gronlaura View Post
    Welcome! I started my very first aquarium last December. The forum members have kept me on the right track with great advice and suggestions.

Great choice on the AC110 for filtration. To have 2X your tank size (150 gal) you will need another filter. Are you thinking another HOB or canister? I have 2 AC110s on my 75 gal and they are great. I use the sponge that came with them and the rest is filled with Fluval Bio Max. Will be following your journal. Good luck!

Hello Laura,

Thank You!

Ya know I've been researching filters and I think I'm going to add a Canister. But I've been reading mixed reviews on everyone of them. LOL. So I don't know. Money is a concern, but I would rather get something that is going to work great with little to no headaches than regret the purchase. You know the old saying....Scream Once! LOL. I need to do more research.

Thanks again.

Dave...

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardy85 View Post
    Everyone here will appreciate that you are taking your time and reading up on some of this stuff. I second the above post regarding adding a second filter, if budget is an issue I'd check craigslist for one if you can.

As for plants I recommend starting off with simple ones first, if you get to complicated of ones you will need CO2 ferts and a good light, if you just have a plain light you can get some basic plants (anubias, java moss, java fern) but we can get into that later.

Do you know what sort of fish you would like, the tank was over stocked before, even though it worked, I believe the fish could have lived much longer if in a larger set up. I have heard ppl say that a 75g is min tank size for 1 oscar, but I don't have experience with them.

Good luck, can't wait to watch this progress

Hello Hardy85,

You know I've been reading about plants a little and those plants you recommend are the ones I wrote down in my notebook. LoL. I'm going to take is slow, so I have have time to take it all in. Yes that tank was overstocked but I didn't know any better at the time. I was like everyone else and listened to the shop keep. But it turned out good despite my ignorance.

Don't want to make those kinds of mistakes this time around. I need more time to research the types of fish before I make up my mind. I want a community tank with different types. Colorful types.

Thanks again.

I can't wait either. Its going to be fun.

Dave...

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    BTW, I checked my light and it doesn't have any information other than its a 40 watt bulb. Single bulb.

I have my eye on this one. http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-sup...8-57-inch.html

Does anyone have any experience with this light? I've been reading about lights too and with Par values and penetration and on and on and on. LOL. I'm more confused now then when I started. I don't want to do Co2 from the get go and I don't want to have algae problems. Some lights seem too bright and can cause algae problems and others are too dim.

I really like the idea of moon lights also.

Decisions...Decisions.

Thanks again everyone.

Dave...