· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ph question

1. Default ph question

0 Not allowed!
    sorry if im always asking alot but im interested in GBR (german blue rams) and i noticed there ph needs to be at 6-7 and im still in middle of cycling so not adding any fish yet but i tested my tap water i use n its around 7.4 and the water in tank is around 8.2 dose it go higher when ur cycling the tank? and also what kind of ways are there to lower it? i have a decent sized piece of Mopani wood in the tank and lots of live plants.

setup looks like this:
    56 Gallon Planted Tetra based Community Tank.
    "Rummy-Nose Tetra-4Red/Blue tetra -7,Buenos Aires Tetra-8emerald cory-5"1 Zebra Nerite"Albino Bristle Nose-2
    Plants:couple swords,bunch of Italian Vals,Java Ferns,

0 Not allowed!
    Common opinion here is that PH doesn't matter (I personally disagree)

IF your ph in your tank is higher than tap there's a good chance something in there is slowly dissolving. That rock is a prime suspect.

You (or do I need to say u?) can lower the ph a bit by adding leaf litter, peat or elder cone but this doesn't work in hard water. If you want to know why get out your old chemistry textbook and look up buffering capability.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    pH fluctuates during cycling so don't use that . Fill some water in a bucket and aerate it overnight, test your pH in the morning and THAT is your water's ph. The co2 outgassing raises your pH so you will know it's true ph after aerating.

pH does mater and I agree with talldutchie, the harder your water, the less effect peat etc will have on lowering it. If you want a stable low pH the only consumer friendly option would be to get an RO unit.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    *coughs* im very bad with such things im kind of a drop out so.. anyways It goes threw a water softer because it is well water before i use it so i think its soft the problem is the kit i got for testing didn`t come with water hardness or soft test so im not 100% sure and i haven`t had a chance to buy i`ll go buy one this week n check n if its soft i`ll go look into leaf litter n such.

Also i`ll try what u said mojosodope i wasn`t sure if i should be worried while its cycling still because i don`t remeber seeing anything on the ph.Also is my water is hard i`ll start looking into a RO i think i seen a few on amazon that are decent priced.
    Last edited by ChaosWolf; 04-08-2013 at 08:01 PM.
    "Rummy-Nose Tetra-4Red/Blue tetra -7,Buenos Aires Tetra-8emerald cory-5"1 Zebra Nerite"Albino Bristle Nose-2

0 Not allowed!
    I must be more tired than I thought, I'm having real difficulties with this English version.

OK..

Don't toss in any old chemical and certainly not water softeners
    Adding any kind of organics to lower PH will be useless if you got hard water
    That pale rock may be leaking calcium. If you want to be sure get a piece (or the whole rock) add some vinegar and see if it reacts.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    noo i ment IT goes threw Water softener that big thing that the water goes threw when u use it in house for out of sink or bath.

i`ll check the rock when i get home from work in few hours.

0 Not allowed!
    Those are usually ion exchange softeners. Nasty things, they give a false sense of security.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    hmm maybe i`ll see if i can take water from the well to avoid that but then it would probly be hard water.

0 Not allowed!
    Kid... don't try to do it all in one day. Work, go home, see if you can find your chemistry books and read up on things like ph, buffer and ion exchange. Understand things before you try to influence them.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    yah i guess im just rushing to much i`ll start doing research on what u suggested then. Also i didn`t plan on touching anything till after its cycled im just trying to figure out what im going to need to be doing.
    Last edited by ChaosWolf; 04-08-2013 at 09:22 PM.