· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: amonia question

1. Default amonia question

0 Not allowed!
    just a random question towards the cycling i started at 4ppm in my 56 gallon n within a week it was at 0 so i lowered it by half like the guides say to but i was wondering if this is still to much?
    i have to re add the 2ppm daily because within 18-24hrs its back down to 0 my nitrites are unreadable lol they are some odd redish purple that isn`t even listed.Thought haven`t seen any change in them yet i started on March 25th. So basically I was wondering am i doing to much Ammonia in my tank or do u think it is fine?

n sorry i can`t spell right today xD
    56 Gallon Planted Tetra based Community Tank.
    "Rummy-Nose Tetra-4Red/Blue tetra -7,Buenos Aires Tetra-8emerald cory-5"1 Zebra Nerite"Albino Bristle Nose-2
    Plants:couple swords,bunch of Italian Vals,Java Ferns,

0 Not allowed!
    Keep it constant between 2-4 ppm. If ammonia reaches 0 for too long a time, the growth of the beneficial bacteria will be inhibited and your cycle lengthened. I hope I answered your question.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm not too familiar with the fishless cycling method but I would think that nitrite readings that high may also inhibit growth of the ammonia-oxidizing-bacteria. You may want to consider doing a water change to lower the nitrite within the range of the color card but also continue dosing ammonia as madagascariensis suggested or they'll starve. It sounds like you've got plenty of the ammonia-oxidizing-bacteria right now but the nitrite-oxidizing-bacteria still have a ways to go.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    yeah i was trying to figure it out XD lol i know it says not to dose more then once a day on ammonia so was like omg its like eating the ammonia like crazy just nothing on nitrite yet and thank you that helps alot lol i just wanted to make sure i wasn`t doing it wrong cause someone mentioned to me i might be adding to much so was worried so i`ll keep adding 2ppm maybe a little more just to be safe per dose
    56 Gallon Planted Tetra based Community Tank.
    "Rummy-Nose Tetra-4Red/Blue tetra -7,Buenos Aires Tetra-8emerald cory-5"1 Zebra Nerite"Albino Bristle Nose-2
    Plants:couple swords,bunch of Italian Vals,Java Ferns,