· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default More fish deaths...puzzled

0 Not allowed!
    Well I am sorry to report two more losses this morning. One was the injured fish that I posted in another thread. That death was from the injury and the other fish pecking at it. There was another that was in the overflow this morning. Overall the fish was intact and appeared normal. There are no signs of ich in the school at all.

I tested the water this morning and the params are normal-

Ammonia - 0 ppm
    Nitrite - 0 ppm
    Nitrates - 5 ppm
    pH - 8.0

The fish are all schooling together for the most part and are actively swimming in all areas of the tank. None are gasping for air at the surface so I can't imagine there being not enough oxygen in the water column. I am at a loss here as to why the deaths are occurring only at night. Any help as to what I should check for is always appreciated.
    Mike
    120g Mixed Reef In Progress
    120g Reef Journal
    55g Freshwater - Out of Service
    My 55g Tank Remodel Project
    72g Bowfront -Out of Service

Awards Showcase

Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 
    Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass 
    cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 
    We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny 

0 Not allowed!
    Is this the 55 in your signature? Are you running co2 and do you have an air stone you can use at night?
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Mike,
    I don't have an answer for you, but I had a strange thing happen about 2 weeks ago. One morning I woke up and my drawf gourami i was dead. Couldn't figure out why...all other fish were swimming fine, and the two other gouramis I had were just fine, and all 3 gouramis had been together in my 75gal for about 6-8 months. Then, 2 days later, I wake up to fine one of my female guppies dead. Again, this fish had been in my tank for about a year. She was a good size female. No other fish soing any signs of illnes or distress. The next morning my other female guppy was dead. I did a water check with my API kit and all params were fine. Since that time, no other fish have died. But for the life of me, I can't figure out what killed those 3 fish. Their bodies were not picked at, and no visible signs of illness or injuries could be seen.

I just wanted you to know, you're not alone in this mystery. Wishing you no more deaths.
    Ghpr13:)

0 Not allowed!
    Sometimes fish either die or disappear inexplicably - it's upsetting but there could be something internally wrong that we can't see and don't see symptoms of - it has happened to me too.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Honey Badger 1 View Post
    Is this the 55 in your signature? Are you running co2 and do you have an air stone you can use at night?
    No this is the 72g, no co2.
    Mike
    120g Reef Journal

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by imma24 View Post
    Sometimes fish either die or disappear inexplicably - it's upsetting but there could be something internally wrong that we can't see and don't see symptoms of - it has happened to me too.
    I am keeping a close eye on the params throughout the day. I figured I would lose a few but I am now at 7 and that is the concerning part.
    Mike
    120g Reef Journal