· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Need advice with tetras and stocking for my new tank

0 Not allowed!
    Hi Guys,

I am Puneeth and very new to this hobby but very passionate about it. I have a tank of about 18 G with N cycling done( Ammonia and Nitrite is undetectable). I have about 6 guppies, 3 Zebra fish and two plecos( about 2.5 to 3 inches in size). I want to introduce some tetras in to the tank, but wanted to seek some expert opinion from you guyz before I do so.
    please help me with the following questions,

1. Have I already overstocked my tank(My tank also contains some Java Moss and Water sprite)?
    2. Is tetra compatible with guppies,zebra and pelcons? If yes which tetra should I go for(I would like to keep smaller fish)? and what is the minimum number I should buy?
    3. Should I keep the plecos in my planted tank or relocate them as I see them munching on my live plants ?
    4. Do I need CO2 equipemt for Java Moss and Water sprite?

I am looking forward to your expert opinion and any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Have a nice day!!

0 Not allowed!
    Which pleco? What do you mean by zebra fish?

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post

I am not sure which pleco it is ( I was told by the pet store guy that it is also called sucker fish, it is gryish black in color and armored).

Zebrafish is also called danio rerio or Zebra danio( Found that in google and the pictures matched what I have in my tank.)

http://www.google.co.in/search?q=zeb...w=1280&bih=598

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I am not sure which pleco it is ( It is greyish black in color and is armored, pet store guy told it is also called sucker fish).

I meant Danio rerio or Zeebra Danio by Zeebrafish

0 Not allowed!
    Which is a shoaling species. I'd get a few more and leave it at that. You should try to identify your pleco. Some grow to more than a foot long. Feed them some cooked veg and they should leave your plants alone.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    what sort of filtration do you have? btw yourpleco is probably a common which will grow huge and 9/10 times you will have to return him/her unless you are willing to upgrade your tank.

IMO, if you have good filtration well over what your tank needs you can overstock it a bit aslong as you do regular maintenance. Dont just buy any tetra that people suggest otherwise you might end up not liking it..do a little research into which you like and we can maybe narrow them down. As talldutchie said 'id get a few more and leave it at that' reason being if you wanted tetra most tetra school which means they need a group to feel safe, by a group some say 6 but i wouldnt have less than 10.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Which is a shoaling species. I'd get a few more and leave it at that. You should try to identify your pleco. Some grow to more than a foot long. Feed them some cooked veg and they should leave your plants alone.
    Thanks a lot for the quick reply..

I will try to identify the pleco... how about adding 6- 8 neon Tetras ? hope that will not overcrowd the tank..

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by luke-ns View Post
    what sort of filtration do you have? btw yourpleco is probably a common which will grow huge and 9/10 times you will have to return him/her unless you are willing to upgrade your tank.

IMO, if you have good filtration well over what your tank needs you can overstock it a bit aslong as you do regular maintenance. Dont just buy any tetra that people suggest otherwise you might end up not liking it..do a little research into which you like and we can maybe narrow them down. As talldutchie said 'id get a few more and leave it at that' reason being if you wanted tetra most tetra school which means they need a group to feel safe, by a group some say 6 but i wouldnt have less than 10.
    Thanks for the reply..

I had no clue that plecos will grow so large... I am going to have a much larger tank in a couple of months time.. and I guess I will relocate the Plecos to the larger tank once the new tank is up and running... I think I will go for the neon tetras as I like them a lot...

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    since your defo going to get some tetra, black neons are very nice especially when you have green plants, another i really love (probably my favorite) rummy nose tetra.

good luck with your soon to be new fish :)

0 Not allowed!
    In my opinion adding neons now is not a good idea. You already have 6 guppies, unless there's no females there's a good chance their number will increase. Your zebra fish really could do with 4 friends. That would be a nice total, allow the fish some space to swim and it would leave you room for error.

As to the "pleco" a picture would help. In some parts of the world like the US of A it's very normal to sell "common pleco" aka http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/...species_id=580 but over here in Europe that species isn't sold nearly as much. What is sold as a pleco can be lots of things really.