· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Creek "Shrimp"?

0 Not allowed!
    If they are indeed gammarus, then I don't think that they would suit being cultured. Most species require very clean, flowing, well oxygenated water. If a Cory could catch one it sure would be a treat but my observations lead me to believe that gammarus are way too fast for something like a Cory and also will quickly grow too big to fit into a Cory's mouth. If you have any larger sight predators though such as larger characins, minnows, and cichlids, they probably will have a lovely time chasing down the gammarus.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    if you decide to try it out.

probably should check your local laws-some times this stuff is protected species or endangered in certain areas. things like that come with hefty fines if caught.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So if I culture bloodworms and/or mosquito larvae, would that be a good source of protein for my corys? I understand that bloodworms sink to the bottom naturally, and mosquito larvae naturally float, but do cory cats enjoy these live foods?
    10 Gallon: 5 Peppered Corys | Pool Filter Sand | x2 AquaTech 5-15 Power Filter | 2 plastic plants

0 Not allowed!
    Bloodworms maybe, mosquito larvae would be a difficult catch. Have you considered giving microworms a try? My pygmies love those.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So just throw out the mosquito larvae that do appear, or keep them to sell?
    10 Gallon: 5 Peppered Corys | Pool Filter Sand | x2 AquaTech 5-15 Power Filter | 2 plastic plants

0 Not allowed!
    Give it a go at least once or twice, see if they manage to get at them. Worst case tip the bucket. Mosquito larvae tend to dive to avoid danger but spend quite a bit of time at the surface. Cories aren't that good at getting food from the surface.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I stick buckets of water outside now and then, then nab the skeeter larvae for my fish. I've seen cories nab the bottom-hiders, but usually it's my others that get them. If they think they're in a lot of danger, skeeters hide on the bottom a lot, so just kind of look scary at them and they dive.
    I hate hearing people say "it's only a $3/$5/$1 fish/shrimp, so it's ok if it dies, I can just get another." It's still an animal! All animals should be treated like they're worth $10,000.
    29 sw: Damsel, shrimpgoby, pistol shrimp, waspfish
    65 fw: Rummies, glowlight tetras, pencilfish, darters, ottos, f betta, goby, dwarf gourami, ninjas
    29 fw: Chili rasboras, pygmy cories, P. Gertrudae