· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Beginner Planting

0 Not allowed!
    I am currently in the process of fish-in cycling. I have a 29 Gal tank. All artificial plants and deco. I want to start planting real plants, and removing the fake ones if possible. The ones I have now are the silk ones, and I have them heavily clustered together so they don't look too bad, but I know there are many benefits to having a planted tank. I would prefer to do as low tech as possible.

Equipment
    Substrate is just regular aquarium gravel. I don't know the specifics. I have an Aqueon Quietflow 30 but am upgrading to an Aquaclear 70. My light is an Aqueon, 24 inch T8 17 Watt, Full spectrum. I would upgrade the light if necessary, but am not interested in upgrading my hood to hold more than one light. I would be willing to upgrade my bulb to something higher quality, but not my hood.

Parameters

Ammonia= About .25 ppm
    Nitrate= 5-10 ppm
    Nitrite= 0
    pH= 7.4-7.6

I have 5 Male Green Cobra Guppies right now.

Any suggestions as to types of plants, care, and tech would be great. I am looking for suggestions that go well with my current set up.

0 Not allowed!
    Start with something that has a decent chance in such low light. Anubias is a good species to try. Tie it to something and you've got a good chance it will do quite well

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Is there anything I can actually "plant" in the gravel itself? Also how do I feed/fertilize my plants? I would rather not change out my substrate. I am a big fan of the carpet mosses, also of the surface/floating plants.

0 Not allowed!
    Any floating plants will cut your light even further. You could do all floating and plant nothing.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=56042 is a pretty decent list. You can buy root tabs like http://www.seachem.com/Products/prod...urishTabs.html and push them under the plants. Supplement with http://www.seachem.com/Products/prod.../Flourish.html or something like that and they will be fine.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the list, and recommendations. I'll check them out.

Right now I don't have any sort of air-stones or anything like that. I just have a HOB filter which I've heard is sufficient to oxygenate the water. Would planting require me to get an air-stone/pump? I've heard that plants can reduce the amount of oxygen in the water, making it harder for the fish to breathe.

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah, that plants making it difficult to breath is a favourite story with several people here. For me it's as plausible as adding salt to a freshwater aquarium