· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Long or Tall?

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Christmas!  Hope you and your family have a great one! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 
    Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 I can't send you a real one, sorry for your loses - steeler1 Happy belated Birthday. - steeler58 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Sorry for you loss, wish it was a real one. - steeler58 It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA It's fish flake friday, like the old days!! - steeler58 Beer makes monday not suck so bad.. - Sandz In honor of Steelers 5k posts! - Sandz 
    Couldn't give you rep, yet, but you deserve it with your contributions in the Discus/Angel thread.  Thanks! - KevinVA T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Just for you being you! - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Have a Rummy nose for oldtimes sake ;-) - steeler58 

Question Long or Tall?

0 Not allowed!
    I'm currently looking to add another tank and am wondering about the pros and cons of long tanks versus tall. My current is a 45 gallon tall (36 x 13 x 24). I'm looking at the following:

72 x 18 x 17 (100 gallon long)
    60 x 18 x 25 (125 gallon tall)

I'm not 100% sure on my new stocking list other than I really would like several bolivian rams and a nice school of neon rainbowfish and cory cats. I have a lot more research to do on compatibility and tank setup since I don't want a highly planted tank, just java fern and anubias attached to wood.

I have the room so I could easily go with the larger footprint and taller than 17" if necessary,

0 Not allowed!
    Wow. I was going to say for those fish you should always go long rather than tall - but at that size I don't think it'll matter too much. Choose the one that fits your room best. Let's have a photo when you get it!
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~
    ~ My 30 Litre Tank Journal ~

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

0 Not allowed!
    For most people, it is a question of available space or what tank stand they have or can afford (longer stands cost more but in the future, can often handle greater volume tanks.) All else being equal, a longer tank gives most fish more room (exceptions are angels and discus or similar tall growing fish.) For most types, especially schooling fish, I'd go with the longer tank. Really, more to what looks best to you.

0 Not allowed!
    Well with the 125G you get relatively long and relatively tall. It has a good length for shoaling species but it is tall enough to grow taller plants and just look visibly better. Tall aquariums typically offer a greater visual appeal than short tanks and vertical space can be especially useful in layering groups of fish by level in the tank.
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Christmas!  Hope you and your family have a great one! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 
    Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 I can't send you a real one, sorry for your loses - steeler1 Happy belated Birthday. - steeler58 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Sorry for you loss, wish it was a real one. - steeler58 It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA It's fish flake friday, like the old days!! - steeler58 Beer makes monday not suck so bad.. - Sandz In honor of Steelers 5k posts! - Sandz 
    Couldn't give you rep, yet, but you deserve it with your contributions in the Discus/Angel thread.  Thanks! - KevinVA T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Just for you being you! - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Have a Rummy nose for oldtimes sake ;-) - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for your opinions, I do agree longer is better and since I have the room I may as well go for the longest I can. I measured 17" height against my tank and with gravel/sand I would only end up with about 15" of height for the fish. I think I'm going to go with a 72 x 18 x 25, especially since I like to have some manzanita with ferns attached and as MCHRKiller stated it would be useful in layering groups of fish by level.

I'm going to start a journal once everything is figured out on paper since I'll be trying new things like sand for the substrate and sump filtration instead of canisters. So exciting!!!

Awards Showcase

Thx. Have another on me! - pRED Enjoy the 4th brother :-) - Taurus Bleeding blues! - RiversGirl TGIF and here's to the bleeding blues Lee. - Taurus This one's on me.... - Slaphppy7 
    pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady 
    for the thing in your signature about saandy hook, i was in elementary during that time. - aquariumlover10 Thanks for the bucks!! - SeaLady No Message - RiversGirl New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Good luck with this new tank. I look forward to seeing pictures, maybe start a journal?
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    steeler1, yes I will start a journal. I was going to wait until I had things more solidified in my head with what exactly I was going to do but maybe it would be best to start now so I could benefit from all the feedback and advice from everyone here. My head is already starting to spin just thinking about the stocking options!!!!

Awards Showcase

Thx. Have another on me! - pRED Enjoy the 4th brother :-) - Taurus Bleeding blues! - RiversGirl TGIF and here's to the bleeding blues Lee. - Taurus This one's on me.... - Slaphppy7 
    pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady 
    for the thing in your signature about saandy hook, i was in elementary during that time. - aquariumlover10 Thanks for the bucks!! - SeaLady No Message - RiversGirl New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Like they say "go big or go home". I can't wait to see what your going to stock. Maybe start with that big school of Celestial Pearl Danio's you've always wanted?

Six foot tank I am so jealous LOL!!
    Last edited by steeler58; 04-08-2013 at 10:37 PM.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by steeler1 View Post
    Like they say "go big or go home". I can't wait to see what your going to stock. Maybe start with that big school of Celestial Pearl Danio's you've always wanted?

Six foot tank I am so jealous LOL!!
    I would love to see this. A huge, huge tank, full of tiny, tiny fish. Heaven!
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~
    ~ My 30 Litre Tank Journal ~