· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default 10days w/o a pwc...too risky?

0 Not allowed!
    The time has come that I have back to back travel for work and can't get home to do a pwc.

so it'll be 10days w/o a pwc.

i have someone lined up to feed a few times (i'll put out little bowls w/ dates to just dump in and hide the rest)

current set up(s)

QT:
    GBR + Cardinal Tetras
    sponge filter-for 40gallons

Main 45gallon:
    2 bolivian rams
    1 krib
    8 cory's
    bn pleco
    rupper lip pleco
    10 tetra
    filtration total of 210 gallons

I have a bag of chemipure elite to use...not like that is a cure all, but could it help?
    any other tips/tricks? i'm paranoid someone else will do a pwc-not use prime and i come home to everything dead

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It's not ideal especially if your fish are used to clean water and the constant water changes. However I'm pretty sure the fish will be fine going the extra few days without one. Just do a slightly larger than normal change before and after. None of your fish are particularly delicate should be fine
    6ft Australian Fresh water turtle tank - 2 macleay river turtles, numerous guppy at varying stages of development.

5ft 150gal planted discus tank - 8 discus, 10 cardinal tetras, 10 rummnose, 6 albino cories, and breeding RCS in tank sump and just about everywhere everything done from scratch, filtration and stand tank
    journal @
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=101658

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I think you would be fine, chemi pure is a great product but IMO not necessary for 10 days. If you are worried tell the person who is feeding to dose 2 capfuls of prime around day 5-6 as an emergency prevarication, an alternative would be to use the chemi pure but you can always use that for another rainy day..

0 Not allowed!
    I agree - I think it's more a problem with no food over a length of time than a water change.

There are many people who change their water 1x/2wks - you have an established tank & someone is coming to feed & observe the fish so I don't see an issue.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

0 Not allowed!
    10 days without food or a water change is nothing. You will come home and not notice anything is any different than when you left it. An aquarium is not some house of cards waiting to come crashing down.....
    125 - BGK, pictus cats, silver dollars, kissing gouramis, palmas bichir, delhezi bichir
    125 - Red severum, bolivian rams, Turquoise rainbows, irian red rainbows, loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis
    90 - Congo tetras, african knife, elephant nose, spotted ctenopoma, upside down cats

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10

0 Not allowed!
    The biggest concern that I would have in your situation is nitrate build-up over that lenght of time.

If they will be fed less than normal while your gone, and you normally do not have higher levels of nitrate, you should be fine
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jaysee View Post
    10 days without food or a water change is nothing. You will come home and not notice anything is any different than when you left it. An aquarium is not some house of cards waiting to come crashing down.....
    It's not, but...I went away for 14 days and had someone come in every other day to feed and check on things. I reduced feeding by half and left precise measures. All fish survived, no problem, but they were obviously hungry as they completely demolished one species of plant in my tank!
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Exclamation

0 Not allowed!
    As some have posted, this will not be significant at all if you reduce amount of food; remember - food = waste = nitrate; so, reduce food and nitrates grow more slowly reducing the need for a water change. Besides, uneaten food that rots is the #1 cause of fouled water. Just be sure they are feed a good bit less and the fish will do well. Just be careful to check the pH and your supply so when you do a water change, your pH hasn't difted enough to cause harm.

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Exclamation

0 Not allowed!
    As some have posted, this will not be significant at all if you reduce amount of food; remember - food = waste = nitrate; so, reduce food and nitrates grow more slowly reducing the need for a water change. Besides, uneaten food that rots is the #1 cause of fouled water. Just be sure they are feed a good bit less and the fish will do well. Just be careful to check the pH and your supply so when you do a water change, your pH hasn't difted enough to cause harm.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks everyone!! Its good to hear that i'll survive. lol. Just was a concern because I do 50% every week. so this upcoming week, I may do 2 50% to give them the cleanest possible water!

Nitrates were concerned as well. So I just picked up 2 bunches of elodea to float and help soak up nitrates.

I'll have my friend feed every 3rd day to keep nitrates down. (just once a day too)